Rugby Union

kiwififer

22 minutes ago, come on shire said:

The game never finished 4 secs early either. Not at all. George Clancy's watch is final...

I was wondering what the f**k was happening at the end, I was expecting another ruck not a little tap out of bounds. Thank f**k on this occasion we were on the right side of Clancy. 

Just reading that Russell went off with a head knock and hasn't returned to the Racing lineup. No news if he failed the HIA or if it's precautionary. Hopefully he'll be fine for France next week. 

If it’s HIA he’s got no chance.

Guest Bob Mahelp
10 hours ago, GAD said:

Sounds like Russell is out for next week, based on some reports from France. This 6 nations has been a bit of a nightmare so far. 

I put the Racing game on about 10 minutes into the second half. When I saw Finn wasn't at stand-off then my heart just sank a wee bit.

We've been absolutely cursed in the last 6 months with injuries...God knows what kind of team we'll put out on Saturday, but it's guaranteed to be held together with sticking plaster and staples.

Hastings at 10 ? He isn't even getting a game for Glasgow. Pete Horne ? Noooooooooooooo.

I put the Racing game on about 10 minutes into the second half. When I saw Finn wasn't at stand-off then my heart just sank a wee bit.
We've been absolutely cursed in the last 6 months with injuries...God knows what kind of team we'll put out on Saturday, but it's guaranteed to be held together with sticking plaster and staples.
Hastings at 10 ? He isn't even getting a game for Glasgow. Pete Horne ? Noooooooooooooo.

Strength and depth. Good way to build. Maybe Hastings will have an absolute Stormer in Paris. Maybe this is a good thing in world cup year. Tbh I've kinda lost interest in 6 nations with all these injuries. For me there is one game left, Wales at Murrayfield

2 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Strength and depth. Good way to build. Maybe Hastings will have an absolute Stormer in Paris. Maybe this is a good thing in world cup year. Tbh I've kinda lost interest in 6 nations with all these injuries. For me there is one game left, Wales at Murrayfield

Yeah, I guess we are throwing some guys in at the deep end, so let's see how they do. The one wee ray of light is that there are some players coming back in the forwards. The hooker crisis is over, both Greys are coming back. Fagurson is also a much better prop than anyone who has been on the bench so far as well. 

I wonder if Scotland's injury list is worse than other home nations, or whether it's actually just the strength in depth in Scotland is nowhere near where it needs to be?

Townsend's had to deal with injuries to not just key players but his best players, and in fairness he hasn't used it as an excuse.  

Of course, some guys swim in that situation.  That Daryll Marfo character stepped up to the plate, for example.

Guest Bob Mahelp

I agree with all of the above.

While we've been cursed with injuries this season and it's a fact that we have by far the smallest pool of players of any of the main 6 Nations countries,  it's a good chance for Townsend to see what fringe players are made of.

On top of that, all of the replacements coming in (mostly) play for Glasgow or Edinburgh, 2 sides that are competing at the top of the Pro 14 and the Champions Cup this season.

The backs are weakened of that there's no doubt, but we still have skill in there and pace to burn. And as GAD pointed out, we're stronger in the pack for Saturday than we have been for both the Italy and Ireland games......and that's where the game will be won. If we can match France in the set-piece, we could well have the better of them in the loose.

Still confident (well, hopeful).

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

The backs are weakened of that there's no doubt, but we still have skill in there and pace to burn. And as GAD pointed out, we're stronger in the pack for Saturday than we have been for both the Italy and Ireland games......and that's where the game will be won. If we can match France in the set-piece, we could well have the better of them in the loose.

Still confident (well, hopeful).

The forward battle will be crucial.  Unfortunately the collective French pack collectively weighs very nearly 1 tonne.  On the other hand, our forwards are starting to come back which will allow us to front up more.

I think our backs should be looking to burn gas regardless of who plays.  The French team haven't really been playing as such and since they're so heavy wasn't there fitness issues mentioned at Twickers?  Tough game but we should be aiming to play with flair and have too much pace for them.  Teddy "Serge Blanco" Thomas being injured is also a boost for us. 

2 minutes ago, come on shire said:

The forward battle will be crucial.  Unfortunately the collective French pack collectively weighs very nearly 1 tonne.  On the other hand, our forwards are starting to come back which will allow us to front up more.

I think our backs should be looking to burn gas regardless of who plays.  The French team haven't really been playing as such and since they're so heavy wasn't there fitness issues mentioned at Twickers?  Tough game but we should be aiming to play with flair and have too much pace for them.  Teddy "Serge Blanco" Thomas being injured is also a boost for us. 

Teddy Thomas is one of those terrifying French wingers who tends to score 50 yard tries against Scotland with his eyes shut.  Glad he's out.   Hopefully the French will do something France-like and play a stand off on the wing.

You have to hope Russell is back soon as there is no one close in the squad at the moment. Hastings is still learning and prone to mistakes, Horne is struggling to be international class centre nevermind fly half, Weir is seemingly playing well at Worcester but is not even in the squad.

The forwards are boosted by Fagerson and Turner coming back, for me front 5 stays as is, but the back row is still a concern. Harley being sent to play for  Glasgow you would assume he isn't in contention to start (given he has played pretty much every week for Glasgow this year). It looks like either Hardie or Graham come in at open side and Ritchie moved to blind, or Ashe comes in at blind side. Rennie was bigging him and Grigg up after the Cardiff game. You would assume Johnson and Grigg will be the starting centres (fingers crossed its not Harris - i still dont know what Townsend see's in him as I think he brings nothing to the team) and Kinghorn slotting in at full back. Although Townsend was talking Maitland up at 15 so you never know.