Rugby Union

kiwififer

I was at the Scotland game yesterday and a few things offended me:

Romain Poite's performance. Get 3 tokens from boxes of Special K and become a top tier rugby ref.

Hogg's injury and O'Mahony causing it. It should have been a yellow card and penalty.

Seymour and Maitland's mess for the O'Mahony-gate try was like a very un-funny Laurel and Hardy sketch.

How easily Ireland got their 2nd try.

How easy Ireland got their 3rd try.

Keith Earls got their 3rd try.

Less basic mistakes are made in a P7 game than those made by Scotland today.

Edited by come on shire

Yeah, for all that we can say about Poite ultimately Ireland are clinical and we aren’t nearly clinical enough. If Ireland spend as long in any side’s 22 as we did in theirs in the first half there’s no chance they’re only getting 10 points from it. That’s the main difference between Scotland and a team at that level, even accounting for the defensive mistakes.

Even if becoming more adept at crash ball is all it takes, learning to put teams away from those positions is what Scotland need to do for the World Cup. Going into the second half of games like that ahead would make all the difference.

If we were to bin Laidlaw, which is very unlikely, then I trust Horne more than I do Price, both in ability and temperament. I'd certainly like to see Horne getting more of a chance but I think he's been injured recently.
Laidlaw is a 3 point machine though when needed. I accept Russell could kick.. He is also a leader, we don't have many.
Any update on Hoggy?

8 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Laidlaw is a 3 point machine though when needed. I accept Russell could kick.. He is also a leader, we don't have many.
Any update on Hoggy?

Last I saw, likely to miss France.

Be interesting to see what changes, if any, Townsend makes to the Scotland team against France. It'll also be interesting to see if they study the ref to determine where his 'blind spots' are.

Any update on Hoggy?
Probably find out on Monday but according to the Irish he should be OK as he was faking it to get their player in trouble. Also according to the Irish we are all a bunch of dirty cheats for stamping on Sexton's head(the Irish manager thinks he was kicked in the head by an Irish player) forcing him to go off injured after failing a HIA.

Got comps in the back row of the bottom tier in the West stand so treated it like a football match and was giving the ref fucking pelters, got told to pipe down by some posh farmer type. Irish guys were a great laugh. Scotland rugby fans are mostly soft bawbags. Thought we matched them first half, they were lucky with all their tries and the ref was utter shite. Excellent day out but wouldn't pay what they charge to get in there for the 6 Nations.

The Scotland team that started against Italy played arguably as well as any side has up until this England performance.  I'd imagine for the next game, Townsend will drop Jones (though I'd go with him over Horne against France any day of the week) and perhaps make changes in the second row, but there really aren't many options.  Scotland just don't have the depth that England or Ireland, or even Wales, do.

And if the Scottish players would quit throwing the ball away under no pressure, they having the makings of an extremely dynamic side.

My concern is that France go with the big b*****d backs rather than the dillydallying flair guys and just beat the crap out of our centres.  

My great hope is that one day Scotland will put it all together like they did vs England and Australia in recent times and absolutely trounce somebody.   This team is so much like Gregor Townsend was as a standoff.   

The Scotland team that started against Italy played arguably as well as any side has up until this England performance.  I'd imagine for the next game, Townsend will drop Jones (though I'd go with him over Horne against France any day of the week) and perhaps make changes in the second row, but there really aren't many options.  Scotland just don't have the depth that England or Ireland, or even Wales, do.
And if the Scottish players would quit throwing the ball away under no pressure, they having the makings of an extremely dynamic side.
My concern is that France go with the big b*****d backs rather than the dillydallying flair guys and just beat the crap out of our centres.  
My great hope is that one day Scotland will put it all together like they did vs England and Australia in recent times and absolutely trounce somebody.   This team is so much like Gregor Townsend was as a standoff.   

And hopefully that day will be 4 weeks time in Murrayfield