Rugby Union

kiwififer

20 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Germany win quite comfortably against hong kong in the other first round match 26-9

Some other interesting results over the weekend, Italy come from behind to beat Georgia at home 28-17 and Russia demolish Namibia 47-20. For me though the most suprising was that the NZ Maori's only managed to beat Brazil 35-3 - Brazil have come on leaps and bounds the last few years and have already scored wins over USA and Canada in the ARC, and will only get better with a good chunk of there players have just got pro contracts with MLR in the US.

Also forgot to mention the motm award, a can of tennents in a plastic cube, seriously....

Probably just as well it’s sealed in :lol:

Don’t think that is the best move for Hogg but certainly won’t begrudge him it. Looking at the positives, when Bernie Stortoni left just before a World Cup year, a certain Stuart Hogg got a chance he otherwise might not have. Hopefully someone like Logan Trotter uses his chance to similar effect.

4 hours ago, afca32 said:

Don’t think that is the best move for Hogg but certainly won’t begrudge him it. Looking at the positives, when Bernie Stortoni left just before a World Cup year, a certain Stuart Hogg got a chance he otherwise might not have. Hopefully someone like Logan Trotter uses his chance to similar effect.

I still miss Bernie. Did he ever drop a high ball?

Hogg is right to go to be honest. At 27 Glasgow have had a number of his good years and he leaves whilst still at his peak to get a paycheck. Good luck to him. Glasgow have to go out into the market for fullback cover as I don't see a 1st team ready 15 there. 

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Gary Graham has been added to the squad to replace Blade Thomson.

We better cap him quick before he defects to England again!

At least he's honest that Scotland's his second choice, I suppose.

I hope Blade Thomson isn't dead, though.  He sounds exciting.

18 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Good call up. Wonder if he regrets those comments and being played by Eddie Jones

Was just about to comment that i feel sorry for him. Eddie Jones playing with his mind. Believe it was Graham who made the call to Toonie. Have no issues really if he wants to play for us as long as he gives his all. Seen a few Englanders comment that he's another steal by us considering he was going to play for them. Highly rated at the Falcons.

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

At least he's honest that Scotland's his second choice, I suppose.

I hope Blade Thomson isn't dead, though.  He sounds exciting.

To be fair to the guy, I don't think we were second choice, we didn't pick him. Gary Graham got a pretty raw deal from the SRU. He spent quite a time playing in the Scottish leagues and for the Scotland age group teams without getting a pro contract. He had to go to Jersey to get a pro deal in the championship when he was already about 22/23 and Newcastle picked him up from there. When you think of some of the shite playing for Edinburgh particularly under the Solomon's regime you can understand why he might have been a wee bit bitter about not getting picked up.

Still, those comments he made about Scotland when he'd apparently decided on England mean there will be some serious pressure for him to perform. He's got a bit of winning over to do. To be honest, I did not expect this to ever happen.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

To be fair to the guy, I don't think we were second choice, we didn't pick him. Gary Graham got a pretty raw deal from the SRU. He spent quite a time playing in the Scottish leagues and for the Scotland age group teams without getting a pro contract. He had to go to Jersey to get a pro deal in the championship when he was already about 22/23 and Newcastle picked him up from there. When you think of some of the shite playing for Edinburgh particularly under the Solomon's regime you can understand why he might have been a wee bit bitter about not getting picked up.

Still, those comments he made about Scotland when he'd apparently decided on England mean there will be some serious pressure for him to perform. He's got a bit of winning over to do. To be honest, I did not expect this to ever happen.

Yeah, I was being a bit facetious.  I thought he had burned his bridges too, though.

On 10/11/2018 at 18:46, John Lambies Doos said:
On 10/11/2018 at 18:18, come on shire said:
I didn't think a player stood out as such but the team as a whole put in an incredible shift.
We made life difficult in the 1st half but we worked hard to half-time which was pleasing. 2nd half we turned on the style till Fiji couldn't live with us. However their discipline was all over the place which helped.
Stuff to work on though. Bill Mata's try came about when we lost our own line-out in our 22. Our defence will need to be tighter next week if we have any hope of beating SA. 

I think we will beat SA by 7 tbh. Just fancy us at Murrayfield

The guy next to me at Murrayfield says the same thing. I'm not sure why people are thinking that we're in for an easy day at the office vs the Boks. We COULD win but it'll be very tough imo.

Sad to see Hogg go but rugby's a short career and he'll want to get a new challenge whilst he's still at his peak. Hopefully with Hoggy no longer on the payroll that allows us to bring in a nice marquee signing...

As for the game we were made to work hard in the 1st half but we turned on the style in the 2nd half. Fiji's shocking discipline helped us tbh.

The line out lads need beasted this week though. We lost a line out in our own 22 and Fiji got a try straight from it. Unforgivable coach killer that the Springboks will exploit.

Edited by come on shire

Felt a bit sorry for Graham, as has been mentioned he wasn't even asked to a Scotland squad prior to his call up to the England squad, and as he was mid 20's probably thought he would take the money from England (even the b squad money would be decent) if Scotland were not going to ask him to play for us.

I hope we get him and Thompson capped as soon as possible, as out back row options are going to look pretty decent come the world cup

Just had a look at the Glasgow Warriors forum and there are people genuinely suggesting Israel Folau or Ben Smith to replace Hogg. Mental.

There was a rumour about the young Italian full back being lined up to replace Hogg due to him wearing Warriors boxer shorts against Scotland but he's had a bad injury. Whoever they sign Glasgow need to bring through a few more young backs. Stafford McDowall looks the part and hopefully there are a few more to come. As a third pro team is unviable senior players will have to leave for younger players to get a chance.

7 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Israel Folau is not as mental as you think. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if he came to Scotstoun

Pretty sure he just signed a four year contract with the Waratahs last month. I honestly can't see Glasgow signing an outspoken homophobe either.