Rugby Union

kiwififer

Angus Gardener is a terrible ref. He was the ref when Grosso's skull got smashed by two NZ players in the summer.

He also made this all time terrible decision.

xipy4lp.gif&key=5e8b870339aa390f8f886a86

It's sad that no one has any confidence in rugby refs to make honest calls.

Edited by Detournement

2 great BP wins for Glasgow & Edinburgh followed by a Scotland game where we dominated possession and territory. Ultimately if those little things went to hand and those 2 tries weren’t chalked off we would of won. If we had access to all our players for this game we would of won comfortably. Back to Fortress Murrayfield next week against Fiji (I think). 

That tackle decision at the end of England v South Africa is wild. It's not just a blatantly illegal tackle, that's a clear red card.
If that was an All Blacks player the media would be shouting about them being protected by the refs.

40 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Really surprised by Strauss and Weir call ups, Weir more understandable as Lang got injured at the weekend for Harlequins, but Strauss it appears is due to Townsend realising that none of the forwards can grind out the hard yards.

I've always had to assume that it was a personality issue with Strauss and Townsend.  I guess Townsend is prepared to let things slide in that regard.

I don't think Strauss should ever have been dropped, but here we are.

25 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I've always had to assume that it was a personality issue with Strauss and Townsend.  I guess Townsend is prepared to let things slide in that regard.

I don't think Strauss should ever have been dropped, but here we are.

I think they did fall out, dont know why. Probably goes back to their Glasgow days as I think Strauss was put out that he never got offered another contract at Glasgow. To be fair he had already said he wanted to play in England, so Toonie probably thought there was no point in offering him, but Strauss probably felt put out by not even getting offered one.

Im hoping Thompson at least gets some time training with the squad this november, so he is not coming in Fresh for the 6N.

How long is Barclay out for, as I would have him and Watson as the 2 nailed on starters, then depending on how we want to play / the opposition Barclay is either 6 or 8.

I would also be looking at shifting Fagersson to 6, he is a great prospect just doesn't / wont have the size needed to be a great international no.8, but does have all the skills for wing forward.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

time training with the squad this november, so he is not coming in Fresh for the 6N.

How long is Barclay out for, as I would have him and Watson as the 2 nailed on starters, then depending on how we want to play / the opposition Barclay is either 6 or 8.

I would also be looking at shifting Fagersson to 6, he is a great prospect just doesn't / wont have the size needed to be a great international no.8, but does have all the skills for wing forward.

I think you need to be bigger at 6 than 8 these days. I only saw the first 20 minutes of the game on Saturday but the clear problem was that we weren't able to shift the Welsh defenders at the breakdown who were (illegally) slowing down our ball. Bradbury is the biggest unit we have in the backrow and the most obvious option for the 6 shirt.

Barclay will be 33 at the World Cup and i'm not sure he is the man for the Ireland game which will be brutal and played at close quarters. He got completely over powered by Leinster in the European semi final last year.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/analysis-why-scotlands-defensive-system-made-huw-jones-look-worse-than-he-actually-is

Some good analysis of the problems with Scotland's defence.

It seems mad to have no one sweeping. I remember seeing one of the Italian tries this year coming a mile off cause Hogg was up in the line.

I just stuck 20 quid on Fiji at 13/2.

I'm guessing that no one is going to play all four games but the locks and the backrow don't inspire confidence when Fiji are putting out genuine world class players in Nakawara, Mata and Yato.

image.png

Edited by Detournement

Not sure how I feel about the team to be honest. Although I’d have liked to see George Horne start, last week showed we do miss Laidlaw’s level headed approach and no one else has yet shown themselves capable of being captain. I think 12 is Pete Horne’s best position, but he’ll have to improve on his recent performances – at least he won’t be kicking!

I assume Watson is just being rested, as Jamie Ritchie did nothing last week to deserve another game. Fagerson deserves a start and it will be interesting to see how Sam Skinner does. Neither Toolis nor Jonny Gray played well last week so I guess it makes sense to give Gilchrist a start in this game. Berghan and Strauss gives us some strength on the bench.

Hopefully Hogg is fully fit, and he along with Maitland and Seymour is easily our best back three.

I think the changes are because no one will play the four games and Townsend probably hopes the backs will be able to win this one and Gray and Watson will play the Tier One games. Thompson and Bradbury being injured has limited his options in the pack.

I got Fiji at 13/2. That's mental considering they are putting out clearly the best lock, the best two back rowers and the best centre on show. The Fiji 10 Volavola plays with Russell at Racing so that should be an interesting duel.

1 hour ago, Detournement said:

I got Fiji at 13/2. That's mental considering they are putting out clearly the best lock, the best two back rowers and the best centre on show. The Fiji 10 Volavola plays with Russell at Racing so that should be an interesting duel.

You'll be right about the changes across the four matches.

That is good odds, though I can’t quite bring myself to bet against Scotland. I’ll definitely be checking out the tryscorer odds though.

I can’t say I’ve seen much of him since but I remember Volavola playing well when Fiji beat us last summer. He seemed to give them a pretty secure base, allowing their better players freedom to play, and he kicked everything - in very un-Fijian style.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 hour ago, Jaggy Snake said:

That is good odds, though I can’t quite bring myself to bet against Scotland. I’ll definitely be checking out the tryscorer odds though.

The 20 quid is from recent winnings. Either Scotland win or i'm 130 quid to the good. I'll be supporting Scotland anyway.

Nakarawa and Bill Mata will be their dangermen in the pack and I'm a bit unsure about our forward pack there tbh.  In the backs Ben Volavola needs to be watched.  We have backs that can beat the best if they play well but my question is if our forward pack can compete with Fiji at the breakdown.

The Scottish Rugby forum on FB is an interesting place as everyone thinks that a lot of our big players are being rested for the Springboks.  I think we're taking Fiji too lightly tbh.  In June last year we were beaten by Fiji (albeit away from home) and, even though 7's is their forte, they use that platform to show that they're the quickest team in the world.  If we allow them gaps to turn on the gas we'll have major problems...

Fun fact:  Ben Volavola goes out with the Hollywood actress Shailene Woodley.  They met when she was in Fiji filming Adrift.  She's also been in The Descendants with George Clooney...

Edited by come on shire

Toonie has defintaely got one eye on Argentina and SA with this selection.

I think pretty much everyone (bar Weir and McGuigan??) that was unable to be part of the squad last week gets game time this week. Watson and Gray are rested with bigger games to come, and Hogg starts in his first game back after 2 months out injured to get some match fitness.

For all the talk in respecting Fiji, they are a top side etc, it has a look of them thinking that Nel and Dell with push them about in the scrums so we will be alright up front!