Rugby Union

kiwififer

Glasgow have hardly made any signings at all this year, i think its only 2. Pyrgos going is a lose, but having 3 of the top 4 Scottish Scrum halfs at one club is hardly ideal. From a Scotland perspective it makes sense. Is Blair still coaching at Glasgow or is he only doing Scotland now?

Not sure how to feel about it tbh. Great move for him as he'll probably be first choice at Lesser Murrayfield, but I was a big fan of him coming on to close games out for Glasgow.

He'll also be great for Edinburgh in terms of bringing on Charlie Shiel.

As for Bradbury coming the other way, it has been doing the rounds, but with no real sources to back it up. Other than Edinburgh signing Hamilton, there doesn't seem to be any reason for it either.

27 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I was a big fan of him coming on to close games out for Glasgow.

Absolutely this. Price and G. Horne are explosive players who play fast and close to the edge. Ideal for the bulk of the game or chasing the scoreboard at the end.

However Pyrgos has a more defensive mindset ideal for calming us down when we're winning a tight game in the closing stages or even just generally shoring up the defence at the back end of the game.

Ali Price is a good player. He had a ropey season last year but I think he's a better option than Pyrgos, who most on here were wanting punted at the start of this season. He's only 25 as well.

Has a Facebook appreciation page calling him "arguably the Greatest Person (and rugby player) in the World." For that reason, it's clearly a terrific signing.

I see that Quade Cooper was, and may still be, in a similar situation to Frisby in that Brad Thorn doesn't fancy him. Worth a punt?

9 minutes ago, honestly united said:

9 caps for Oz so should be fairly decent, seems a bit left field given we have good options at 9. Would rather we spent cash on other positions that need first choice strengthened but hopefully he's a good addition

We needed someone for International cover, given Price and Horne will be with Scotland, and despite what some people think, Niko is not the answer at 9 in any game.

We needed someone for International cover, given Price and Horne will be with Scotland, and despite what some people think, Niko is not the answer at 9 in any game.
Granted we do need cover for international I thought we might go for a cheap option and spend the rest of the budget somewhere else

36 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

I see that Quade Cooper was, and may still be, in a similar situation to Frisby in that Brad Thorn doesn't fancy him. Worth a punt?

No. When Thorn turned him down the ARU offered him deals at the Brumbies and Rebels and he decided to stay in Brisbane and play well below his level. If he wants to move to Europe there will be French clubs able to pay him 5x more. He's a c**t and hasn't shown consistent form for years.

Was pretty meh about Frisby but he can play 10 too and it frees up Barreto to play 7s which was a rumour so decent business I think.

4 minutes ago, afca32 said:

No. When Thorn turned him down the ARU offered him deals at the Brumbies and Rebels and he decided to stay in Brisbane and play well below his level. If he wants to move to Europe there will be French clubs able to pay him 5x more. He's a c**t and hasn't shown consistent form for years.

Was pretty meh about Frisby but he can play 10 too and it frees up Barreto to play 7s which was a rumour so decent business I think.

I was aware of his cuntish tendencies. Wasn't a serious suggestion anyway. He also played for Toulon a few years ago and it appears acted like a c**t there too, even before he'd played a minute for them.

It'll be interesting to see whether or not we fight on 2 fronts. I mind 2 seasons ago when we got to the Euro quarters we clearly put the league on a 2nd priority. 

However this season we really need to bounce back in Europe after last season especially as the group we have is fair. Not the easiest, but fair. At the same time though Glasgow being the venue for the Pro14 final surely has to be a massive carrot.

Edited by come on shire

3 hours ago, come on shire said:

It'll be interesting to see whether or not we fight on 2 fronts. I mind 2 seasons ago when we got to the Euro quarters we clearly put the league on a 2nd priority. 

However this season we really need to bounce back in Europe after last season especially as the group we have is fair. Not the easiest, but fair. At the same time though Glasgow being the venue for the Pro14 final surely has to be a massive carrot.

I think we need to prove we are a big game team more than anything else. Last season we were flat track bullies. Turned over the shiters with big scores but lost every single game against a big team who were actually trying.

On 04/07/2018 at 10:52, Jeek said:

Would they play it somewhere 'up north' to try to generate the interest up there? Bad for us fans of those clubs, but from a bigger picture perspective it may be something they would try.

I think this is fair but unpopular. Pittodrie or even Perth would be an ideal neutral venue to serve the purpose of deciding the cup winner as well as drum up interest in a 3rd team.