Rugby Union

kiwififer

I'm absolutely astonished that Laidlaw manages to convert so many kicks without standing for two minutes making stupid faces, reminiscing about his early University years whilst simultaneously pretending to do a shite and making pyramid shapes with his hands. Astonished I tell you.

Watching it again this morning - this time i saw the whole second half as opposed to small snippets while hiding behind the couch - at times our back row effectively operated in an area of the pitch each. This meant that every time England moved the point of attack, they were effectively coming up against a fresh openside. Really, really smart, and when you add in the fact that McInally, Gray and Gilchrist are all pretty good over the ball, it's no wonder we won so many turnovers.

It still astonishes me that England rarely pick an out and out 7. Robshaw is a cracking player, but surely they must be aware that when teams like Scotland and Australia will go with multiple top quality destroyers, sometimes you need a bit of speed at the breakdown as well as power.

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Just finished reading through this. Emotional stuff guys. What a result, just glorious. I fucking love rugby. If anyone wants a laugh, go look at the player ratings on the guardian. Highest rated player for Scotland is Finn Russell with an 8. Two try Huw Jones and turnover king John Barclay? 7/10. You can tell the boy is hurting.

Also, fans of pompous Englishmen getting it badly wrong can also give Alex Corbiserio's scrumdown podcast from last week a wee listen. Delicious, looking forward to this weeks.

I think those ratings are a fair bit more accurate than the tosh put out by the broadsheets up here, where you get a 9/10 for stealing a lineout.  In the French papers, for what it's worth, a player pretty much has to score a hat-trick and make three try saving tackles to get an 8.  

It's all relative, isn't it?  Russell being Scotland's standout player and Barclay and Jones not far off - hard to argue with that.

Edit: having said that, Le Figaro is just gushing praise on Huw Jones rather than the other pair.

Edited by Savage Henry

At the game yesterday and to witness that win was incredible. Highlight was Jones's 3rd try where he makes the line despite Maro Itoje and Mike Brown practically climbing on him. We would have the BP if Horne's pass had come off in the 2nd half. I don't think there was a stand out player simply because we were superb as a unit. England were poor and never deserved a losing BP. Maybe Edward's army in 1314 sneaked one though.

I don't think we'll win the title but if we win in Rome (with a BP) we have a chance. We would need to win in Dublin but Ireland have scored the most and lost the least points so far so it'll be tough. Barring Ireland's winning BP it's been an ok weekend for us as Wales, Italy and France never got a BP. 

Disappointing as a Glasgow fan but understandable result given the missing players and opposition/venue. Though our international period results have been night and day compared to last season. G. Horne and Hastings are raw but will hopefully be a dream team in time. Miles from last season's Hart-Clegg partnership. Annoying not to get the BP but neither did Munster and I always thought that Fri night's game at Ulster would be more winnable. We're still 12 points clear with Zebre and Connacht at home...

Edited by come on shire

6 minutes ago, come on shire said:

At the game yesterday and to witness that win was incredible. Highlight was Jones's 3rd try where he makes the line despite Maro Itoje and Mike Brown practically climbing on him. We would have the BP if Horne's pass had come off in the 2nd half. I don't think there was a stand out player simply because we were superb as a unit. England were poor and never deserved a losing BP. Maybe Edward's army in 1314 sneaked one though.

I don't think we'll win the title but if we win in Rome (with a BP) we have a chance. We would need to win in Dublin but Ireland have scored the most and lost the least points so far so it'll be tough. Barring Ireland's winning BP it's been an ok weekend for us as Wales, Italy and France never got a BP. 

Disappointing as a Glasgow fan but understandable result given the missing players and opposition/venue. Though our international period results have been night and day compared to last season. G. Horne and Hastings are raw but will hopefully be a dream team in time. Miles from last season's Hart-Clegg partnership. Annoying not to get the BP but neither did Munster and I always thought that Fri night's game at Ulster would be more winnable. We're still 12 points clear with Zebre and Connacht at home...

*cough* Anthony Watson *cough*

Apart from that, spot on!

What's the situation with the black flags? Saw them on Facebook and whatsapp today in relation to Scottish rugby.

They are Scotland flag emojis. You need one of the updated to get them so if you've not done the update then they just appear black.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer doon south said:

salty tears doesn't quite do that justice. 

Theres another picture with a reply about how he wasn't watching it cause rugby's a "poofter sport" but he has locked his account and I can't find the picture now