Rugby Union

kiwififer

Guest Bob Mahelp
5 hours ago, BuddieInDundee said:

Tom English has just torn Scotland's performance to shreds in a BBC column this morning. Thoughts? Harsh? Fair?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42937248

Absolutely fair based on yesterday's utter shambles.

We have to be careful though and not be too harsh. Over the last couple of years the improvement has been considerable, but there are always going to be bad games in amongst the decent ones.

Next week's game takes on added importance now though. We desperately need a performance and a result or English's comments will carry extra validity.

As an aside, I'm a fan of Price, but he had the 15 minutes from hell yesterday. Butchered a scoring opportunity, gave them an interception, and then a second try with a crooked feed.....after that, neither he or the team in general could recover.

Let's hope it doesn't dent his confidence too much. He has a big future in the game.

"Got a problem with Southern Hemisphere teams??  Then call the Scotland rugby team!!  These guys will thump the Sourthern Hemisphere problem in a jiffy!"

*Please note:  This product is useless for anything else.

Seriously though, I watched back Glasgow vs Exeter when we finally got it together in Europe.  We can take the league by storm, we have our moments in Europe and making improvements imho, but as soon as these same guys stick on a Scotland top especially during the 6N time, we just fall apart.  Maybe a witchdoctor is needing called.  That was an absolute mess vs Wales.  However, we can prove it was just a one-off by beating France at home on Sunday.  Well, we MUST beat them...

Just finished re-watching the Scotland game, really not sure what to make of it. In the cold light of day, watching it back, you can see what we are trying to do but its one of those days where nothing has come off, whereas if the last year, apart from the England & Fiji games we have played well and the little flicks have mostly come off.

I think the problem is we have no plan b, we cant slow games down or control them. In the forwards, apart from Watson we had no ball carriers, Gray and Barclay had really quite games by their standard and Toolis & Du Preez were non existant. For me the worst part was the defence, there were numerous occasions where the welsh first receiver was just popping the ball on to a runner, and we had no defenders covering. This is a standard play (Scotland use it all the time) and we seemed incapable of defending it.

Im not sure where we go for next week, probably will depend on who is back from injury. Dunbar is a must if fit, we need more up front, but dont see who would make a difference apart from if RIchie is fit, unless we go cap in hand to Strauss,. We know that the French will look to batter up the middle and it could look men against boys stuff again.

Edit to add we are now down to 7th in the world rankings, with Wales and SA going above us, and the 7's only managed to win one game all weekend, although we did make it through to the Cup Quarters on points difference

Edited by honestly united

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

Just finished re-watching the Scotland game, really not sure what to make of it. In the cold light of day, watching it back, you can see what we are trying to do but its one of those days where nothing has come off, whereas if the last year, apart from the England & Fiji games we have played well and the little flicks have mostly come off.

I think the problem is we have no plan b, we cant slow games down or control them. In the forwards, apart from Watson we had no ball carriers, Gray and Barclay had really quite games by their standard and Toolis & Du Preez were non existant. For me the worst part was the defence, there were numerous occasions where the welsh first receiver was just popping the ball on to a runner, and we had no defenders covering. This is a standard play (Scotland use it all the time) and we seemed incapable of defending it.

Im not sure where we go for next week, probably will depend on who is back from injury. Dunbar is a must if fit, we need more up front, but dont see who would make a difference apart from if RIchie is fit, unless we go cap in hand to Strauss,. We know that the French will look to batter up the middle and it could look men against boys stuff again.

Edit to add we are now down to 7th in the world rankings, with Wales and SA going above us, and the 7's only managed to win one game all weekend, although we did make it through to the Cup Quarters on points difference

Spot on. Whilst the French are a decidedly average side compared to the sides they used to field, I've got the absolute fear about their pack and ball carriers if our defence vs Wales is anything to go by.

Sarto has had surgery on a shoulder injury and is out for the season.

Wonder if that's us seen the last of him, out of contract in the summer and probably been unavailable more than not, quality on the wing but terrible run on injuries.

Wonder if that's us seen the last of him, out of contract in the summer and probably been unavailable more than not, quality on the wing but terrible run on injuries.
He has/will have played 18 games in 2 seasons when the season ends.

10 hours ago, honestly united said:

Seemingly McGuigan out, and Richie Gray and Taylor not fit enough to join up with the squad. Not sure were we are on Dunbar, but think we have Berghan back for the French game from suspension

Berghan obviously been suspended all this time is he likely to come straight back in. 

I might be a bit controversial here but I want price to start against France. He threw that intercept pass early and I think it really affected him remainder of his game. I want him to make amends. 

Berghan obviously been suspended all this time is he likely to come straight back in. 

I might be a bit controversial here but I want price to start against France. He threw that intercept pass early and I think it really affected him remainder of his game. I want him to make amends. 
I agree. We can't just ditch him. Many players have suffered this before in our half backs. Give him another chance...He is a good player.

Interesting bit about Edinburgh and building a new stadium on the back pitches at Murrayfield

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/more-in-sport/edinburgh-rugby-in-talks-to-build-7000-seat-mini-murrayfield-1-4684730

Stewart Milne will be wondering why they aren’t looking at building it in Dalmeny

I know the joys of watching Scotland can be time consuming lol but let's not forget there's also club rugby this weekend too.  Edinburgh are at home to Leinster on Friday night with a 7:35pm k/o live on BBC Alba.

However, as a Warriors fan I'll be watching our game away vs the Dragons on Friday night with a 7:35pm k/o live on BBC 2 Wales.

Edited by come on shire

Guinness PRO14  – Referee Appointments

Round 14

Friday, February 9, 2018

Connacht Rugby v Ospreys Rugby – KO 19:35
Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU, 8th competition game)
AR1: David Wilkinson (IRFU). AR2: John Carvill (IRFU)

Dragons v Glasgow Warriors – KO 19:35
Referee: Andrew Brace (IRFU, 32nd competition game)
AR1: Nigel Correll (IRFU). AR2: Dewi Phillips (WRU)
TMO: Wayne Davies (WRU)
BBC2 Wales: 19:30

Edinburgh Rugby v Leinster Rugby – KO 19:35
Referee: Paul Williams (NZRFU, 1st competition game)
AR1: Mike Adamson (SRU). AR2: Lloyd Linton (SRU)
TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)
BBC ALBA: 19:25
TG4: 19:30

Ulster Rugby v Southern Kings – KO 19:35 / 21:35 SA
Referee: Joy Neville (IRFU, 1st competition game)
AR1: Kieran Barry (IRFU). AR2: Shane Kierans (IRFU)
TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)
BBC2 NI: 19:30
SuperSport One: 21:30

Saturday, February 10, 2018

Cardiff Blues v Toyota Cheetahs – KO 19:35 / 21:35 SA
Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 70th competition game)
AR1: Rhys Thomas (WRU). AR2: Rob Price (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)
S4C: 19:15
SuperSport One: 21:30

Munster v Zebre – KO 19:35 / 21:35 SA
Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 41st competition game)
AR1: Craig Evans (WRU). AR2: Jonny Erskine (IRFU)
TMO: Sean Brickell (WRU)
TG4: 19:15

Sunday, February 11, 2018

Benetton Rugby v Scarlets – KO 14:05 / 13:05 UK
Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 97th competition game)
AR1: Mark Patton (IRFU). AR2: Gianluca Gnecchi (FIR)
TMO: Leo Colgan (IRFU)
Eurosport Italia: 14:00
Sky Sports Arena: 12:45 UK (Ch 408)