Darts...

Sideshow

It's like he's never seen darts before.

At first I thought he was mangling "He's got to get this now", but he repeated the same thing in the next 2 legs.

Worse still, I think we were Mardled along with him. Which was too much for me.

He's been covering darts for around five or six years now. Hard to believe, I know, with the consistent pish he comes out with.

The whole 'team' is an absolute shambles. Listening to Dave Clark and Rod Harrington, with their matching Matalan shirts, at the start of each night, almost kills my entire enthusiasm for the evening ahead...

On a more positive note John Part's rant must have had some effect as Ladbrokes are putting up murals of him and Dennis Priestley.

In a way that's possibly even more disrespectful! Treating them as if they're an afterthought

If they're going to do a Wall of Champions, either do it properly, or not at all. I can fully understand why John was so upset about it, as it is unprofessional from the organisers at best.

Lets hope John and Dennis live up to the billing of their murals, and win their respective matches...

Aye well when you put it like that you're probably correct.

It really does signify they only care about the Premier League players though. Barney has only won the PDC World's once and it wasn't even at Ally Pally whilst Party has won it 3 times including once at Ally Pally.

Wayne Jones has got to be following the downward spiral path next surely.

Won't be sad to see him go. Like his Wolves shirt, he is utterly boring in every way.

Was just about to post something similar. I remember a few years ago he was interviewed and he says he doesn't practice at all as he gets bored although during that time he was getting to the latter stages of Pro Tour events pretty regularly.

You won't get away with that attitude these days with the quality of player coming through and ultimately it's bit him on the arse.

It really does signify they only care about the Premier League players though. Barney has only won the PDC World's once and it wasn't even at Ally Pally whilst Party has won it 3 times including once at Ally Pally.

Absolutely. If they want the history of the Championship to be respected, particularly in its 20th year, then they should do these things properly. John had a mural last year, as did Dennis Priestley when he last played in the Worlds. There's enough space for a number of him, and, for me, it adds a little more class and an appreciation of where the PDC has come from, and its history.

People could say that it was all a little petulant from John, but imagine if it was Phil Taylor in the same situation? He'd probably retire just to spite everyone, while if it was Lewis, or even Barney, without a mural, they would be sitting in the corner of the room in tears...

Wayne Jones has got to be following the downward spiral path next surely.

Won't be sad to see him go. Like his Wolves shirt, he is utterly boring in every way.

Was just about to post something similar. I remember a few years ago he was interviewed and he says he doesn't practice at all as he gets bored although during that time he was getting to the latter stages of Pro Tour events pretty regularly.

You won't get away with that attitude these days with the quality of player coming through and ultimately it's bit him on the arse.

Put it this way, if Jamie Caven wins tonight (which is no sure thing given his record on TV) then Jones falls outside of the Top 32. And as you say Neilly, players need to work extremely hard to have a chance of coming back from that, and it doesn't seem like he has the required attitude to do so.

He's been covering darts for around five or six years now. Hard to believe, I know, with the consistent pish he comes out with.

The whole 'team' is an absolute shambles. Listening to Dave Clark and Rod Harrington, with their matching Matalan shirts, at the start of each night, almost kills my entire enthusiasm for the evening ahead...

Nigel Pearson has long been the weak link in the commentary team - he is just awful. Best that he sticks to speedway, which is his main job on Sky. Harrington on commentary is awful as well, though he's harmless enough when flapping his gums with Dave Clark in the studio.

Overall, the commentary team is alright - Wayne Mardle has actually started to grow on me, he's slowly settling into it and I don't actually see him returning to action at all now. Stuart Pyke, for the most part, is fantastic and Rod Studd is ok too but tends to be dragged down to Pearson's level when they're together. Eric Bristow always brings a fresh approach when he's on commentary and I think it's probably a good thing that he's not used often as his style would probably grate if he was in there all the time.

As for John Gwynne... I do still enjoy his commentaries, but it's mainly down for nostalgic reasons as he's been there for every PDC World Championships. He's clearly in decline and gets things wrong more often than not - he's the Alan Parry of darts.

Nigel Pearson has long been the weak link in the commentary team - he is just awful. Best that he sticks to speedway, which is his main job on Sky. Harrington on commentary is awful as well, though he's harmless enough when flapping his gums with Dave Clark in the studio.

Overall, the commentary team is alright - Wayne Mardle has actually started to grow on me, he's slowly settling into it and I don't actually see him returning to action at all now. Stuart Pyke, for the most part, is fantastic and Rod Studd is ok too but tends to be dragged down to Pearson's level when they're together. Eric Bristow always brings a fresh approach when he's on commentary and I think it's probably a good thing that he's not used often as his style would probably grate if he was in there all the time.

As for John Gwynne... I do still enjoy his commentaries, but it's mainly down for nostalgic reasons as he's been there for every PDC World Championships. He's clearly in decline and gets things wrong more often than not - he's the Alan Parry of darts.

I certainly think Mardle has improved considerably from when he first started. I'm not particularly enamored with the rest of them though. I used to enjoy Pyke's commentary, but something about him has changed recently, but he's decent enough. Studd is solid, as you say, providing that he has a decent partner. I do like Bristow's analysis, as he's the only one that ever really says anything different, or interesting.

It seems to me that Harrington's analysis goes along the lines of:

Dave Clark: "What's he got to do here Rod?"

Rod Harrington: "He's got to hit them doubles Dave. Them doubles."

Dave Clark: "Thanks for that Rod (as I look slightly creepily towards the camera before we bring in the next Taylor video)

(Later in the evening)

Dave Clark: "Taylor, Lewis, Anderson, van Gerwen, Barney, are the favorites, but who do you see as a good outside bet, Rod?"

Rod Harrington: "Colin Lloyd, Dave, no doubt about it. He can hit them doubles better than anyone else, except for Taylor, Lewis, Anderson, van Gerwen, eh, Barney, eh, Hamilton...Newton...and Magnus Caris."

I'm being a little bit harsh....as there is something familiar and consistent about them all that's appealing...

Should be a bit drama tonight all the games look very close to me don't think you will see a 3-0 anyway.

Absolutely, the games look pretty difficult to call. Anything could really happen, and we'll have to see which James Wade turns up.

Alas, I'll miss a substantial period tonight, as I'm off to Central Park...not exactly Ally Pally...

Poor from monk,whats he all about throwing his darts away when he went two nil down,you would expect that from a 14 year old.Someone needs to give him a kick up the arse and tell him hes not gods gift to darts.

Wirght fanices his chances against mvg