Darts...

Sideshow

The last spot should be interesting. Darren Webster currently has it, £200 ahead of Peter Wright and Merv King, but Webster unlike the other tour has only qualified for one of the upcoming European Tour events.

Don't know where you got your info Naitch but Anderson actually withdrew after the 1st leg. An eye injury by all accounts.

Lloyd threw a 9 darter against Alex Roy and James Hubbard and Suljovic took out Lewis and Wade respectively.

If young Hubbard can take out Peter Wright today he is going to put himself right into the mix for the Matchplay with only 2 Players Champs and 1 Euro event after this to go.

Incidently Merv King is now in the Matchplay and Darren Webster out. It's really close though and with the likes of Part, King, Wright,Osborne and Hubbard still in this Euro Event there is decent money to be made to catch the likes of Beaton, Cullen and Caven.

I'd like King to get in. Hes proven he can mix it with the big boys and hes not afraid of the likes of Taylor. I feel hes getting back to somewhere near his best again.

Hubbard certainly looks a good up and coming player and I wouldn't mind seeing him either.

One player I don't want to see is Jamie Caven. A fucking jobber who has never shown any sort of class ability on tv. Its a cast iron certainty if he qualifies he will get pumped in round one.

By the way does anyone play for a pub team? Starting a week on Monday with one. Best get bashing the practice board...

Glad Hubbard is in. Boy is playing great.

Not much between Osborne and Wright, so don't care really. Caven is a tv jobber, so glad hes out, although from a betting perspective thats not good!

Anderson has already confirmed he will play.

Heading down Thursday 26th for the last of the 2nd round then both sessions on the Friday for the quarters.

Got the usual digs for 45 for the two nights and 28 quid return on the train from Larbert so that's everything sorted for well under 200 including three sessions of arras very decent.

Draw tonight.

Betfair World Matchplay

First Round Draw & Tournament Bracket

Adrian Lewis (2) v Robert Thornton

Paul Nicholson (15) v Andy Smith

Raymond van Barneveld (7) v Michael Smith

Terry Jenkins (10) v Kim Huybrechts

Simon Whitlock (6) v Michael van Gerwen

Kevin Painter (11) v Steve Beaton

James Wade (3) v Richie Burnett

Mark Walsh (14) v Colin Osborne

Phil Taylor (1) v Mervyn King

Vincent van der Voort (16) v Ian White

Andy Hamilton (8) v Brendan Dolan

Mark Webster (9) v Colin Lloyd

Wes Newton (5) v James Hubbard

Justin Pipe (12) v Joe Cullen

Gary Anderson (4) v Dean Winstanley

Dave Chisnall (13) v Ronnie Baxter

Initial thoughts. Taylor v King round 1 is a corker. Chisnall v Baxter and Whitlock v MVG on current form and Wade v Burnett should be good. I think Lewis will beat Thornton easier than most think. Big test for Gando against Deano.

Mouth watering.

Couple of shit matches too. Pipe v Cullen and Walsh v Osborne will be poor to watch I'd imagine, although Cullen ain't been on tv much in his career be interesting to see if hes improved much since. Pipe is a tv bottler too, not half the player on tv as he is on the floor.

Edited by MTJ

It's a cracking wee draw that but with the quality of field these days you come to expect nothing less.

Taylor/King is an absolute belter and great potential to get Taylor out early door. Really like the look of the games MTJ mentions and I would fling Newton/Hubbard in to that as well will be great to see how the young man can get on against a player you would really expect to go deep in the tournament usually.

Round 1 predictions: Winners in bold

Adrian Lewis v Robert Thornton

Paul Nicholson v Andy Smith

Raymond van Barneveld v Michael Smith

Terry Jenkins v Kim Huybrechts

Simon Whitlock v Michael van Gerwen

Kevin Painter v Steve Beaton

James Wade v Richie Burnett

Mark Walsh v Colin Osborne

Phil Taylor v Mervyn King

Vincent van der Voort v Ian White

Andy Hamilton v Brendan Dolan

Mark Webster v Colin Lloyd

Wes Newton v James Hubbard

Justin Pipe v Joe Cullen

Gary Anderson v Dean Winstanley

Dave Chisnall v Ronnie Baxter

It's a cracking wee draw that but with the quality of field these days you come to expect nothing less.

Taylor/King is an absolute belter and great potential to get Taylor out early door. Really like the look of the games MTJ mentions and I would fling Newton/Hubbard in to that as well will be great to see how the young man can get on against a player you would really expect to go deep in the tournament usually.

King is one of the few with the bottle to beat Phil. Would be brilliant if Taylor was sent packing early doors.

Aye definitely and Merv is certainly about as just about there in terms of getting back to his best - another good run this weekend in Germany.

Richie Burnett got to the semi's and hit a 121 average in an earlier round that must be some confidence boost going into the WMP.

Best prices:

Paul Nicholson (1/2) Andy Smith (13/8 )

Terry Jenkins (1) Kim Huybrechts (5/6)

Adrian Lewis (1/3) Robert Thornton (12/5)

Raymond Van Barneveld (1/5) Michael Smith (4)

Mark Walsh (5/6) Colin Osborne (10/11)

Kevin Painter (8/13) Steve Beaton (6/4)

James Wade (1/3) Richie Burnett (5/2)

Simon Whitlock (1/3) Michael Van Gerwen (5/2)

Andy Hamilton (4/9) Brendan Dolan (2)

Vincent Van Der Voort (19/29) Ian White (11/8 )

Phil Taylor (1/7) Mervyn King (9/2)

Mark Webster (4/6) Colin Lloyd (5/4)

Justin Pipe (2/5) Joe Cullen (2)

Wes Newton (3/10) James Hubbard (11/4)

Gary Anderson (4/9) Dean Winstanley (7/4)

Dave Chisnall (1/3) Ronnie Baxter (9/4)

Edited by MTJ

Thornton odds are good considering. Lewis can be hot and cold and Thorn will be feeling VERY good. I was thinking odds might be good on Huybrechts, but nah. He could do a number on Jenkins, but Jenkins CAN turn it on in this tourney in particular.

Pieman is surely value the way Nicholson is playing just now? He's been garbage for a long, long time and still likely to have the crowd on his back in Blackpool.

Hammer has to be yer nap at 4/9 he's now such a great stage player I can't see Dolan getting a look in.

Ian White is a solid player been getting to the latter stages of a good few floor tournaments and you never know what VDV will turn up I think I will have a pop on him.

Winstanley at odds against the way Ando is just now with form and injury has to be looked at as well but on the whole, as usual, the bookies aren't giving much away.