Darts...

Sideshow

The commentator here is doing my head in, you'd think Haavisto was just some guy they'd grabbed out of the crowd.

Absolutely. I'm not sure what's happened to Stuart Pyke, who I used to regard as being a very strong commentator. But, recently, he seems to have turned into Martin Tyler, enjoying the sound of his own voice far too much, and thinking he's some sort of high quality analyst.

That was a great workout for Ando, he goes through 3-1.

It certainly was! Super match, and a very good performance from Anderson. A match that he will take much more benefit from, I'd fancy, than a comfortable stroll.

Lets hope we see Haavisto again on the big stage.

Quality night of darts, compared to yesterday which was fuckin horrible.

Barney in top form, Ando playing extremely well too. Haavisto played cracking darts too and took out some cracking checkouts under pressure. That game was just fucking gravy to watch, two fast players scoring heavily. Compare that to shite like Justin Pipe.

Haavisto would have beaten the vast majority of seeds playing like that. Theres been some real muck performances amongst them, a shame he got drawn with one as strong as Anderson. Anderson is looking dangerous as f**k just now by the way and is a legit contender with Taylor in the other half. He'll give everyone a game bar Taylor, cause hes so deep in the back pocket. He even was bigging up Taylor there in the interview.

Just hope that Haavisto can do more of the tour and doesn't disappear into the sunset due to a lack of finance.

Edited by MTJ

Disgraceful condescension from Pyke in his commentary. 'Gary won't have heard of him before'. Anderson said in his interview with Bristow that he did know him!

The pundits really don't have a clue do they? Just pluck shite of the air.

Dave Clarke just said Anderson has been playing well on the circuit all year WHIT!

Just hope that Haavisto can do more of the tour and doesn't disappear into the sunset due to a lack of finance.

That's always the concern. Who knows, maybe some sponsors may be encouraged to support him after that performance. He clearly has the talent to be fairly successful on the circuit.

I think the days of seeds being like the Pieman, Osborne or (much as I love him) Ovens turning up and throwing 84 averages and progressing are starting to come to an end. The European players are advancing at an incredible rate. Huybrechts is obviously the best, but there are also guys from Spain, Germany and Haavisto progressing nicely. Even someone like Suljovic is a much better player than a good few of the seeded English guys.

I think the days of seeds being like the Pieman, Osborne or (much as I love him) Ovens turning up and throwing 84 averages and progressing are starting to come to an end. The European players are advancing at an incredible rate. Huybrechts is obviously the best, but there are also guys from Spain, Germany and Haavisto progressing nicely. Even someone like Suljovic is a much better player than a good few of the seeded English guys.

Suljovic has had a pretty rotten year given that he didn't qualify, but I agree with your general point.

Absolutely. As soon as some of the top European players start to play regularly on the Pro Tour, like Huybrechts has done, it's only a matter of time until they break into the Top 32. In the past that has always been a safe haven for players like Smith and Ovens, but, unless they pick up their games, they will fall behind sooner rather than later.

Probably been said already, but I have had to watch with the sound off due to that utter w**k of a commentator continually saying "He's got no choice but to go for this (checkout) now", even when it's like 82 or 64.

What, really? I thought he'd just have tried to set it up for his next visit. You total fud.

Edited by H_B

Probably been said already, but I have had to watch with the sound off due to that utter w**k of a commentator continually saying "He's got no choice but to go for this (checkout) now", even when it's like 82 or 64.

What, really? I thought he'd just have tried to set it up for his next visit. You total fud.

That sounds like Nigel Pearson. He's been muttering that line all week so far. Pathetic excuse for a commentator.

It's at moments like this, I wonder what a Pie and Bovril Darts Commentary team would sound like....certainly not any worse.

Absolutely. As soon as some of the top European players start to play regularly on the Pro Tour, like Huybrechts has done, it's only a matter of time until they break into the Top 32. In the past that has always been a safe haven for players like Smith and Ovens, but, unless they pick up their games, they will fall behind sooner rather than later.

There is certainly players abroad now who would do wonders on the Pro Tour but it's certainly no gimme. Alcinas got a sponsor and played 18 events or something this year and has done next to nothing despite looking superb on the few times he's played on TV. Rodriguez I think played a good few and done nothing as well.

Probably travelling to events every week must take it's toll as well though I think to make a proper go they would have to move to this country ala Whitlock for it to really work.

That sounds like Nigel Pearson. He's been muttering that line all week so far. Pathetic excuse for a commentator.

It's at moments like this, I wonder what a Pie and Bovril Darts Commentary team would sound like....certainly not any worse.

It's like he's never seen darts before.

At first I thought he was mangling "He's got to get this now", but he repeated the same thing in the next 2 legs.

Worse still, I think we were Mardled along with him. Which was too much for me.

There is certainly players abroad now who would do wonders on the Pro Tour but it's certainly no gimme. Alcinas got a sponsor and played 18 events or something this year and has done next to nothing despite looking superb on the few times he's played on TV. Rodriguez I think played a good few and done nothing as well.

Probably travelling to events every week must take it's toll as well though I think to make a proper go they would have to move to this country ala Whitlock for it to really work.

No doubt about it. A lack of sponsorship is holding these players back. It's expensive enough to play the Pro Tour based in Britain, never mind living on the continent. If you follow the results each week, the Tour is ridiculously competitive at times, and it can be so hard to make consistent progress. You see guys continually getting knocked out in the 2nd Round, walking away with £200 each week. The numbers don't add up.

It's certainly no gimme, but the trend is going that way. There has always been a sense of security for more of the average PDC players, mostly because the depth wasn't there in the past, but it's progressively heading in that direction.

As long as The Heat survives for a couple more years I'll be content enough...

The current projected Top 32, taking into account the results so far this week.

28 - Steve Beaton - £82,700

29 - Ian White - £81,500

30 - Colin Osborne - £80,700

31 - Denis Ovens - £79,600

32 - Wayne Jones - £78,500

33 - Jamie Caven - £76,000

34 - Scott Rand - £65,800