Darts...

Sideshow

Wno are the seeds? Might be BDO, but it's still better than international football. Plus, I'm interested in the presentation of it.

MEN:

1 MARTIN ADAMS

2 DEAN WINSTANLEY

3 ROBBIE GREEN

4 SCOTT WAITES

5 GARY ROBSON

6 ROSS MONTGOMERY

7 TONY WEST

8 JOHN WALTON

WOMEN:

1 DETA HEDMAN

2 JULIE GORE

3 TRINA GULLIVER

4 IRINA ARMSTRONG

5 KAREN LAWMAN

6 ANASTASIA DOBROMYSLOVA

7 LORRAINE FARLAM

8 KARIN KRAPPEN

I'll probably record a bit of it, just to see how ESPN handle it.

Pub darts from the BDO returns on ESPN on Friday with the Masters. Will anyone be watching?

Pretty impressive pub teams you know then mate, if that's how they play.dry.gif

There are no pub players i know who could turn that standard in on a regular basis.

Pretty impressive pub teams you know then mate, if that's how they play.dry.gif

There are no pub players i know who could turn that standard in on a regular basis.

BDO darts is of a shocking standard considering there are televised events. It's not uncommon to see players win games with an 80 or less average. Amateur darts compared to the PDC.

BDO darts is of a shocking standard considering there are televised events. It's not uncommon to see players win games with an 80 or less average. Amateur darts compared to the PDC.

I am not disputing that the average standard of the BDO compared to the PDC is less, but to call it "pub darts" is just stupid, if it is so shit why are you even interested about when it is on?

BTW don't forget where the vast majority of the PDC players came from, they didn't just turn into great players as soon as they switched to the PDC.

Two out of 31 matches at the WCs in the BDO had a match ended with an average under 80. If that isn't uncommon, then nothing is.

Incidentally, Martin Adams won the Masters last year with a 98+ average last year. Does anyone have the other averages from last year?

I am not disputing that the average standard of the BDO compared to the PDC is less, but to call it "pub darts" is just stupid, if it is so shit why are you even interested about when it is on?

BTW don't forget where the vast majority of the PDC players came from, they didn't just turn into great players as soon as they switched to the PDC.

I am interested because I like watching darts. Despite the poor quality, it's nice to watch players that you don't often get to watch on tv. And I thought that my "pub darts" comment was obviously an exaggeration, but appears not.

And the majority of top PDC players came from the BDO yes, but in some players cases, that's because there was only the BDO (eg Taylor) at the time. The PDC is where the future of the game lies, and I think in recent televised events we have seen the young talent that is coming through in huge numbers. The same cannot be said for the BDO.

Two out of 31 matches at the WCs in the BDO had a match ended with an average under 80. If that isn't uncommon, then nothing is.

Incidentally, Martin Adams won the Masters last year with a 98+ average last year. Does anyone have the other averages from last year?

Well I remember this year at the BDO WC's that Stuart Kellett, one of the top players (I think he was no. 2 seed?) got papped out with an average of 79. That's shocking for a world championship, you would never get that in the PDC. FWIW, Anderson averaged 103 in the PDC worlds this year, and didn't win it. Adams averaged 91 this year and won his title comfortably.

And the majority of top PDC players came from the BDO yes, but in some players cases, that's because there was only the BDO (eg Taylor) at the time. The PDC is where the future of the game lies, and I think in recent televised events we have seen the young talent that is coming through in huge numbers. The same cannot be said for the BDO.

Untill the PDC provide a proper service to youths who can't afford to travel the length of the country and pay 25 quid to play, the BDO will continue to be the future.

Well I remember this year at the BDO WC's that Stuart Kellett, one of the top players (I think he was no. 2 seed?) got papped out with an average of 79.

Young lad, and inexperienced in front of the cameras. Lack of TV tournaments in the BDO means this is something that can happen to them. I am kinda hoping that ESPN are willing to pick up the Gold Cup as well from the Lakeside and maybe a couple of others. That would do the BDO the world of good. Wouldn't stop the fact that the PDC have the depth, but more experience in front of the cameras is absolutely crucial.

That's shocking for a world championship, you would never get that in the PDC.

I assume you mean for a #2 player, and that's correct. Although it should be noted that two matches in the 2011 PDC WCs finished with both players averaging under 80 in the first round proper. ;) Albeit with double the number of matches.

Anderson averaged 103 in the PDC worlds this year, and didn't win it. Adams averaged 91 this year and won his title comfortably.

We KNOW there are players that can do better than a 90+ average though. You look at someone like a Waites who WON the Grand Slam against some of the best in the PDC and we know what he can do, yet he disappoints at the BDOs. It's a vicious circle there I'm afraid.

Canadian Masters (Players' Championship)

Fourth Round

Michael van Gerwen 6-3 Steve Brown

Justin Pipe 6-0 John Henderson

Ronnie Baxter 6-0 Mareno Michels

Norm Tremblay 6-5 Denis Ovens

Simon Whitlock 6-4 Andy Hamilton

Kevin Painter 6-2 Colin Lloyd

John Part 6-3 Steve Beaton

Co Stompe 6-4 Ian White

Quarter-Finals

Michael van Gerwen 6-3 Justin Pipe

Ronnie Baxter 6-1 Norm Tremblay

Kevin Painter 6-5 Simon Whitlock

Co Stompe 6-5 John Part

Semi-Finals

Ronnie Baxter 6-4 Michael van Gerwen

Kevin Painter 6-3 Co Stompe

Final

Ronnie Baxter 6-2 Kevin Painter

Good day's work for Rocket Ronnie. Decent run from Part too after his win on Saturday.

Are they showing selective games in qualifying or will they just puck it up at last 32?

The tourney starts today, coverage starts tomorrow night so there'll be selected matches from tomorrow night's matches then full coverage on Saturday and Sunday. Think they're showing the women's final too.

Last 16

Kevin Thomas v Steve Douglas

Glen Durrant v Craig Baxter (SCO)

Richard Howson v Andrew Gilding

Ewan Hyslop (SCO) V Robert Wagner

Rick Hofstra v Jim widmayer

Radek Szaganski v Christian Kist

Colin Fowler v Martin Phillips

Stephen Bunting v Peter Johns

Some new faces getting on tv.

Last 16

Kevin Thomas v Steve Douglas

Glen Durrant v Craig Baxter (SCO)

Richard Howson v Andrew Gilding

Ewan Hyslop (SCO) V Robert Wagner

Rick Hofstra v Jim widmayer

Radek Szaganski v Christian Kist

Colin Fowler v Martin Phillips

Stephen Bunting v Peter Johns

Some new faces getting on tv.

I know that a lot of the big names fell really early yesterday but it's surprising to learn that the likes of Waites and Adams have also gone. Bunting and Phillips will be the obvious favourites now... good to see Kevin Thomas making the most of his time away from football. :P

EDIT: Just checked and that's NOT the last 16.. it's the round before. The top eight seeds enter at the next round.

Edited by The Naitch

I know that a lot of the big names fell really early yesterday but it's surprising to learn that the likes of Waites and Adams have also gone. Bunting and Phillips will be the obvious favourites now... good to see Kevin Thomas making the most of his time away from football. :P

EDIT: Just checked and that's NOT the last 16.. it's the round before. The top eight seeds enter at the next round.

I just took it off the bdo site.Says last 16 on there dry.gif Wondered why so many big names are missing.

Here is the so called 'real mens last 16'

Martin Adams v Kevin Thomas/Steve Douglas

John Walton v Glen Durrant/Craig Baxter

Gary Robson v Richard Howson/Andrew Gilding

Scott Waites v Ewan Hyslop/Robert Wagner

Dean Winstanley v Rick Hofstra/Jim Widmayer

Tony West v Radek Szaganski/Christian Kist

Ross Montgomery v Colin Fowler/Martin Phillips

Robbie Green v Stephen Bunting/Peter Johns

i don't see Montgomery getting past Phillips nevermind win the fucking thing. Waites has a potential banana skin there too. Obviously there's lots of potential banana skins there, considering they're going through about 100 rounds just to get to the TV section. I've always liked the Masters. The quality is usually better than the Worlds.