Darts...

Sideshow

• 4 weeks later...

Was watching a bit of the GP last night and it feels to me like the air has gone out of top level darts a bit. The crowd last night was poor in terms of numbers and the usual aggro in terms of behaviour with Aspinall and Noppert both having a go at them.

There used to be dozens of posts on here during any of the big tournaments , not just the Worlds but it's been dead of late. 

I don't feel like there's anyone to get behind, most of the top guys don't come across as very likable. I'm sure the game itself is still thriving and probably richer than ever financially and in depth of talent but I wonder if it's passed its high point as a TV sport.

3 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Was watching a bit of the GP last night and it feels to me like the air has gone out of top level darts a bit. The crowd last night was poor in terms of numbers and the usual aggro in terms of behaviour with Aspinall and Noppert both having a go at them.

There used to be dozens of posts on here during any of the big tournaments , not just the Worlds but it's been dead of late. 

I don't feel like there's anyone to get behind, most of the top guys don't come across as very likable. I'm sure the game itself is still thriving and probably richer than ever financially and in depth of talent but I wonder if it's passed its high point as a TV sport.

Crowds are spoiling darts, no doubt about it. Also don't think there's anyone at the top level who is likable. I like Peter but Price, Van Gerwin, Clayton etc all come across as absolute fuds.

We watch most of the darts but I did notice there's no activity on here apart from the Worlds and perhaps the World Cup because Scotland.

The Euro tour on PDC TV is often a lot better to watch than the majors on Sky or ITV

Edited by Autistisches Nilpferd

Price turns up, wins 3-0 against a far inferior player. Still shouting and screaming like an eight year old proves the point about the big players in Darts being utterly unlikeable 

14 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

I hadn’t really thought about it before but I think you’re pretty spot on there. I remember a few years back myself and most of my friends would be watching every PL week, all the tournaments on Sky, ITV4 etc. Most of us still have an interest but nothing close to what it was when you had Taylor, Anderson, Lewis, Van Gerwen all competing.

Guys like Michael Smith, Gerwyn Price and Jonny Clayton are all undoubtedly great players, but I don’t think any of them are living with any of the players I mentioned above in their prime. The year where Anderson got beat off Lewis in the Worlds was peak darts for me. The Premier League at the SECC had them playing against each other a few months later, the infamous night where Lewis got a pint poured over him then pelted by coins while he was on the stage. It probably falls into the category of ‘things we don’t like to see’ but I think most people would admit it was exactly what we wanted to see :lol:

I went to a few PL nights around that time; Newcastle, London and Glasgow, as well as a couple of nights at Ally Pally. As much as 90% of the crowd were complete mutants, the darts was always of the highest standard and you we’re guaranteed a good night wether you wanted to watch the darts or throw pints at people. I will always get tuned in when it’s the Worlds, and dip in and out of the Premier League, but I didn’t even know the Grand Prix was on this week. 

On 07/10/2022 at 12:57, Fuctifano said:

I used to be obsessed with darts - my post count on this thread will prove that - but fell away from it in recent years. Ditching Sky didn't help even though there are the ITV4 tournaments that I still dip into occasionally. Just doesn't have the same pull for me as it used to. I think the 00s/early 10s will go down as the real heyday of this darts era.

Think you have a fair point with there not being a lot of guys that come across as likeable as well.

The mutant crowds that the PDC have attracted has to be a big element of that. Went to the Premier League back in 2009 and absolutely hated it. The BDO was an absolute bin fire but at least the crowds were there for the darts and not for an expensive piss up.

Absolutely no doubt that the quality across the board is better than what it was, though.

I used to play darts a lot as well but that dropping off hasn't helped either.

On 07/10/2022 at 16:42, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Crowds are spoiling darts, no doubt about it. Also don't think there's anyone at the top level who is likable. I like Peter but Price, Van Gerwin, Clayton etc all come across as absolute fuds.

We watch most of the darts but I did notice there's no activity on here apart from the Worlds and perhaps the World Cup because Scotland.

The Euro tour on PDC TV is often a lot better to watch than the majors on Sky or ITV

In saying all that I do keep up with the tour events through Twitter updates and quite enjoy seeing the unknown guys doing well on that. Keep meaning to sign up for one of the weekend events as it's relatively cheap.

22 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

Speaking of keeping up through social media just saw that MvG beat Peter Wright 4-0 in tonight's semi-final at the WGP. Letting down the team Peter FFS!

Peter was a pub player tonight. Absolutely duff. Fortunately so was Price

35 minutes ago, The Naitch said:

The mutant crowds that the PDC have attracted has to be a big element of that. Went to the Premier League back in 2009 and absolutely hated it. 

That was the only one I went to, actually got tickets as a Christmas present for my dad who had always talked about going to the Lakeside but had taken to the PDC tournaments. 

I mainly remember the queue for the bar being half an hour, and while Taylor got booed relentlessly everyone else got a decent reception. 

It's just a shitshow now and the players are probably dicks to the crowds because the crowds are dicks to the players. 

• 3 weeks later...

Josh Rock looks like the next proper talent, doing some absolutely incredible numbers on the Pro Tour.

If he can transfer it to the big stage he has a good outside chance at the world championships.

Managed to get him at 200/1 earlier in the year so a wee run for him would be decent for me personally.

• 2 weeks later...

The grand slam has been a decent watch so far, shame it's been an awful listen. I don't have a huge problem with Gerwyn Price, but the sooner he's out the better, just so I don't need to hear Mardle say his name again. Also, the way Rob Cross throws darts makes me want to slap him.

I think this will be Michael Smiths time.

Threw my first 180 last week, so qualified to talk about the darts now.

6 hours ago, rowsdower said:

The grand slam has been a decent watch so far, shame it's been an awful listen. I don't have a huge problem with Gerwyn Price, but the sooner he's out the better, just so I don't need to hear Mardle say his name again. Also, the way Rob Cross throws darts makes me want to slap him.

I think this will be Michael Smiths time.

Threw my first 180 last week, so qualified to talk about the darts now.

Price will win this, and probably the worlds, he's just an utterly dislikeable arsehole. I have to mute it when he's on

Just now, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Arbroath's own Alan Soutar beats smug p***k Jonny Clayton 10-8 to reach the quarters of the Grand Prix. Splendid stuff

Bitter b*****d

1 minute ago, FifeArab said:

What a win from Soots against Jonny Clayton.

Diplomat