Darts...

Sideshow

14 hours ago, dave_binos said:

Has anyone on here ever been to the World Championship or any other event? What was the experience like? 

Went to the Premier League in Aberdeen at the last do before the AECC was closed. I think north of 98% of the crowd was shit-faced and only paid any attention when Van Gerwen threw away a massive lead against John Henderson, at which point the place went berserk. Was friendly enough, just felt like very few really gave a shit about the darts at all.

Was sat at the tables down the front next to some serious darts types who were keeping their own scores and notes on ton+ finishes and the like, and they had a truly miserable night. 

Am (supposedly) in London this week next year so will try for tickets to this caper. 

14 hours ago, dave_binos said:

What an outstanding game to finish off the evening. Shame those two didn’t meet further on in the tournament. Love how they both just got on with it and great sportsmanship showed. 

Has anyone on here ever been to the World Championship or any other event? What was the experience like? One of my mates went down a few years back to the Ally Pally. Said there were loads of fights but security were on them in a flash and loads of folk chucked out. 

I've been at Premier League, Matchplay, Grand Prix and Grand Slam, so essentially all the majors except the World's.

The latter three being the majors were a few years ago now and it was more of a darts crowd and very enjoyable.

The Premier League was full of idiots in general and I think that's where it slowly creeped into all the tournaments due to the exposure of the Premier League. Its now an acceptance that at every event its just full of c***s who couldn't care less about the darts and just want to sing shite football songs for the duration of their evening. 

Shame the way it has ended up tbh I doubt I'd ever go back to a live darts tournament. Its not even an English thing even the Premier League here in Glasgow is horrible, Old Firm fans fighting and let's not forget Aidy Lewis among others being hit by coins etc.

I've been at Premier League, Matchplay, Grand Prix and Grand Slam, so essentially all the majors except the World's.
The latter three being the majors were a few years ago now and it was more of a darts crowd and very enjoyable.
The Premier League was full of idiots in general and I think that's where it slowly creeped into all the tournaments due to the exposure of the Premier League. Its now an acceptance that at every event its just full of c***s who couldn't care less about the darts and just want to sing shite football songs for the duration of their evening. 
Shame the way it has ended up tbh I doubt I'd ever go back to a live darts tournament. Its not even an English thing even the Premier League here in Glasgow is horrible, Old Firm fans fighting and let's not forget Aidy Lewis among others being hit by coins etc.
Yeah I was there when Anderson played Lewis at the SECC. Anderson basically threw the game just to get off the stage if I remember correctly.

I'm sure Lewis or Taylor got spat on during the walk on too.
Was a loud atmosphere but full of absolute dicks and I've never been back since.

Surprisingly, the crowds seem to be worse now than they were back then.

2 hours ago, Neilly said:

100% agree with this. 

Went to the Matchplay in 2004 and it was fantastic, great venue. 

Went to Premier League in Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow in the years after and it just wasn’t the same. 

Going to try the Matchplay again next year. 

Always wanted to go to the UK Open. Is that the one that is now at a Butlins? 😂

Only went to the premier league once on the PDC side of things, surrounded by pissed up idiots which diluted the experience quite a lot. After that, for the period I still played pub league (2010-15 ish) if it was a straight choice between a night at a PDC event or entering a BDO open for roughly the same dough, I opted for the latter.

Great run by Soots. Easily a top 32 player if he becomes more ruthless on the doubles. 

42 minutes ago, ChoppeReid said:

100% agree with this. 

Went to the Matchplay in 2004 and it was fantastic, great venue. 

Went to Premier League in Manchester, Liverpool and Glasgow in the years after and it just wasn’t the same. 

Going to try the Matchplay again next year. 

Always wanted to go to the UK Open. Is that the one that is now at a Butlins? 😂

I always fancied the UK Open when it was at Bolton as you could just wander about the venue and watch whatever board you fancied. I think you can still do that in Minehead but I can't imagine staying in Butlins being much fun these days.

I mind going to a Pontins in Prestatyn for the Welsh Open about ten years ago and that was quite an experience. I was supposed to be playing in the doubles tournament for a laugh and we drew Daryl Gurney and some other jobber in the first round. By the time it was time to play I was long gone and more of a corpse making noises. My mate took my place and hit a 180 in the firs throw and we all ran on the oche to mob him when he done this during the game. Downhill from there as Gurney and his mate won to nil.

On reflection I am no better than the Yaya and Kolo Toure Barmy Army.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

James Wade just called Gerwyn Price the nicest guy in darts without a shred of sarcasm.

Wade is one of the few people I'd want Price to beat tbf. Arseholes together