Darts...

Sideshow

12 hours ago, LincolnHearts said:

When you read that, it looks like they're done for.

Yep, end game rapidly approaching. It's sad, because the BDO could in theory still work as a 'bridge' for very good semi-pro throwers who work full time and don't necessarily fancy the all-in or bust Darwinism of the PDC. They've been crippled by poor decisions at board level, and the one USP that they did have in my opinion (Lakeside) is now gone. 2/3 years and the BDO is either gone, absorbed or reformed beyond recognition.

2 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Price making an arse of it on twitter this morning.

Clearly lost, scudded a few jars. and posted this shite at 2.30am, woke up, sobered up, and deleted it.

Absolute walloper

Screenshot_20191231-111239_Twitter.jpg

I never understood the media hard-on for Price during this tournament. His averages on the whole were poor and most of the time he is no more than bang average.

6 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Sherrock withdraws from BDO Championship.

Good for her. I said previously that the PDC has done more for her career in the space of a week than the BDO has ever done.

The BDO under Des Jacklin is an amateurish joke, doomed to failure. I feel sorry for players traipsing across Britain and Europe for a year trying to win enough points to take part in this mess.

51 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

I never understood the media hard-on for Price during this tournament. His averages on the whole were poor and most of the time he is no more than bang average.

He played well against Henderson and Durrant and was average-poor against O'Connor, Whitlock & Wright.

He's definitely a top five player at the moment and the media like him because he does stupid things a lot of the time. If you can be an idiot but win a lot in sport then you'll be a big star.

Yep, end game rapidly approaching. It's sad, because the BDO could in theory still work as a 'bridge' for very good semi-pro throwers who work full time and don't necessarily fancy the all-in or bust Darwinism of the PDC. They've been crippled by poor decisions at board level, and the one USP that they did have in my opinion (Lakeside) is now gone. 2/3 years and the BDO is either gone, absorbed or reformed beyond recognition.
I wonder if the venue change has put people off, with the added expense/hassle of travelling into London rather than free parking at Lakeside. Whatever the reason, it seems to be a huge drop off in ticket sales.

I can see it ending up like a similar set up to golf, with the PDC controlling everything and a system similar to golf with the European Tour/Challenge Tour.

The downgrading of the BDO's status by the world darts federation to Associate member was probably the final straw.

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

There was no way Hearn was going to let his new money maker take part in the BDO.

I wouldn't trust Hearn if he told me tomorrow was New Year's Day but I don't think that's it.

Being able to promote Fallon Sherrock as a "world champion" helps the PDC, so they'd probably have liked her to go and win it. Once they dropped the prize money, it wasn't worth her time honestly.

I assumed it was because the place was less than half full for most of the tournament last year and that a move closer to central London was thought necessary to get the attendances back up.

Without a large visiting Dutch contingent, it'll suffer wherever it's held imo.

I don't think the decision was taken by the bdo, more likely the owner of the lakeside told them to lump it.

As for tonight, i'm not a big fan of wright but you wouldn't begrudge him a world title after how close he has come in other major events. MVG has been inconsistent so far, either he is bluffing about having more in the tank and 'just doing enough to win' or he is out of form. 

1 hour ago, F_T_Y said:

I don't think the decision was taken by the bdo, more likely the owner of the lakeside told them to lump it.

As for tonight, i'm not a big fan of wright but you wouldn't begrudge him a world title after how close he has come in other major events. MVG has been inconsistent so far, either he is bluffing about having more in the tank and 'just doing enough to win' or he is out of form. 

Hotels really aren't in the business of turning down large events. Especially in January when things are quiet.

BDO moved because attendance was down and they thought they could get bigger crowds and higher priced tickets moving to a venue in London.