Doner Kebab For Lunch

Swampy

:lol:

I'd say go for it myself. God I miss kebabs, preferably with spicey onions and garlic sauce. It's just not the same wrapped up in a tortilla and houmous :(

houmous on a kebab is really good, but I agree, it's just not the same elsewhere.

Bloody foreigners :angry:

In the words of peter grant, evidence please?

ps. anything older than 2 years or so is not admissible, as I may have believed that when I was young, but that was eons ago! Since then I've learnt a lot about food.

It must have been about two years ago now. Ah, the way we were. (Also a search for +healthy +kebab shows up blank, so that about seals the time length.)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As kiwififer said above, in NZ the donner kebab is perfectly acceptable for lunch, although you get choice of various salads a la Subway and 5 or 6 different types of sauce and it's served more as a wrap than in a pitta bread. The kebab shops were always queued out the door every lunchtime.

You could always get an iskender if one was available in the kebab shop you go to, which I suppose would be more socially acceptable.

You have my blessing though. If I hadn't just had a fry-up, you'd probably have me considering it as well.

Well, I'd say that about settles it. Lunch is now officially sorted.

If they delivered at this hour it would be even MORE sorted, but I'm not going to push my luck.

It must have been about two years ago now. Ah, the way we were. (Also a search for +healthy +kebab shows up blank, so that about seals the time length.)

Whooo! :D

On a serious note, I did get told frequently by my dad when I was young that kebabs were healthy, because at a decent kebab place you got good quality salad and lots of it, a nice nan bread, and lean lamb. Of course, since then, I've actually learnt more about food, and the meat is about as fatty as it gets, so I haven't tried to justify a kebab on health grounds in years!

Still, go get one anyway, they rock.

Incidentally, I was in Belfast the other week, and the kebab was rather oddly served in thousand island dressing instead of the usual chilli. Very strange.

You have my blessing though. If I hadn't just had a fry-up, you'd probably have me considering it as well.

Shut up you, I'm starving. Bet you even had decent square sausage as well...

Actually, please send me a food parcel as soon as possible.

Whooo! :D

On a serious note, I did get told frequently by my dad when I was young that kebabs were healthy, because at a decent kebab place you got good quality salad and lots of it, a nice nan bread, and lean lamb. Of course, since then, I've actually learnt more about food, and the meat is about as fatty as it gets, so I haven't tried to justify a kebab on health grounds in years!

Still, go get one anyway, they rock.

Incidentally, I was in Belfast the other week, and the kebab was rather oddly served in thousand island dressing instead of the usual chilli. Very strange.

That's the thing - where the dish originated the meat was in much lesser quantities, and it was the bread/salad that formed the bulk of the meal. In our society meat's a lot more plentiful so they totally pile it in, and while this makes for deliciousness it also means the fatty nature of the meat is a lot more important than it would be in a smaller serving.

As far as the sauce goes, this page outlines the frankly worrying practices that take place in some countries with their kebabs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab_in_the_world

edit: the first image on that page is a kebab from a chain called Istanbul. Last time I was in Madrid I took most of my meals there :oops: instead of sampling local fare. It was fucking lovely, though, and cheap with it.

A few times in the past few years I have gone to 'Oasis' in Greenock and had a doner kebab for lunch. This is apparently frowned upon - people say it's post-pub food only. I really don't understand that. As fast food goes a doner kebab really isn't THAT unacceptable.

It is totally acceptable.

A kebab is amongst the most tasty fast food you can eat,

yum yum.

I might go to abrakebabra later :D

You can get it here, along side tattie scones, white pudding and bridies, it's just that the square sausage is not that good. PM me it if it's easy to make.

The supermarkets sell Irn Bru, New World (it's the better supermarket) now sells jaffa cakes, caramel wafers and tons of other stuff. It's a hell of a lot more expensive than at home - 2 quid for jaffa cakes, but then, steak is pennies and a hell of a lot better, and the food is of a better standard IMO.

I hate being on the nightshift with no food, it's the only time I get homesick :(

I have to fess up to not witnessing this with my own eyes, but I do have it on good authority that whilst on a trip to Amsterdam, a regular poster on this site did once consume donner kebab for breakfast, lunch and dinner.....on the same day !!

"Wearealldoomed" may or may not wish to comment on this................

Archived