Golfers Thread

Gaz

• 6 months later...

Dragging up a six month old thread but its pretty relevant (to me at least!)

Took up golf again last year after a ten-year break. Managed to buy a reasonable set of used clubs (King Cobra irons, Titelist 3 and 5 woods) off eBay for a remarkble price of £50 (including stand bag, balls etc). Couple of sessions at the driving range and played my first round last June at the North Inch in Perth - shot a 127.

Managed to get down to a best round of 106 by the end of the summer but wasn't happy with the way I was hitting off the tee at all. Spent literally 15 minutes with driving range pro a couple of weeks back and with a couple of simple tips he had me hitting the ball far more consistently in a straight line. Can't recommend that kind of tuition enough, it has been a massive help.

I joined a club in Perth, went out for my first round of the year a couple of weeks ago and hit a 99, which was much better obviously! Definitely plan on another couple of lessons in the next couple of weeks and hopefully get that score down further this year.

Anyway, my question for the P&B golfing masses is regarding clubs. As I said, I bought a used set which are fine, although I'm told they could do with being regripped, and I suspect they are at least a few years old so I'm considering replacing at least the woods. Any recommendations for someone like myself? Not wanting to spend an absolute fortune but I'm not aiming at the cheap and cheerful end of the market. I tend to mostly hit my 3 and 5 woods from the tee because I'm hopeless with the (admittedly cheap and cheerful) driver I have, but would also like to invest in that club as well!

Played Lethamhill this afternoon, shot an 83. Not too bad. The three times I've played there I've birdied the par four 9th - I'll be gutted when that run comes to an end :(

Is Lethamhill the course with the ridiculously long Par 3 to start? Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Anyway, my question for the P&B golfing masses is regarding clubs. As I said, I bought a used set which are fine, although I'm told they could do with being regripped, and I suspect they are at least a few years old so I'm considering replacing at least the woods. Any recommendations for someone like myself? Not wanting to spend an absolute fortune but I'm not aiming at the cheap and cheerful end of the market. I tend to mostly hit my 3 and 5 woods from the tee because I'm hopeless with the (admittedly cheap and cheerful) driver I have, but would also like to invest in that club as well!

I have these - Burner irons. Got them when they first came out in 2009, and very comfortable to hit. Not sure how much you want to spend, but that's a good price for a very good set of irons.

I would suggest going into the pro shops and seeing if they have any deals on - either on new clubs or 2nd hand. Golf clubs are full of people who will bin a set as a result of one bad round, so you can often pick up some really nice (and barely used) stuff for huge discounts.

As for drivers, avoid the white pieces of p*sh that everyone seems to be selling now, and go for a model or two back. I have a Taylor Made R9, but have a look at companies like Benross, who would be an entry level-type that does the job, and will help you improve without throwing money away.

I'm thinking of treating myself for this year and getting a custom fitted set of clubs. Has anyone done this, and if so any recommended fitters?

I don't have an official handicap any more as not a club member but play socially off 13. My youngest clubs are 8 years old and my irons probably closer to 20, and I can afford something like this for the first time in my life so feel like making an investment.

My dad and I have joined Dunkeld and Birnam GC again this year after not playing for 4-5 years or so. We played one round last year (north inch perth) and I was awful. Playing my first round on Friday and then again on Wednesday, hopefully. I will report back with how I get on.

JB, what club have you joined?

Well I played 10 holes yesterday. I was hitting my woods fairly well, my irons were ok, but my putting was absolutely horrendous. Line was generally ok but I'm hitting it far too hard. Think I need to spend a few hours on a putting green and get used to that, I five putted on 2 occasions.

Still, it could have been worse, and I'll mark my score next time I play and see where I'm at.

I've played golf on and off since the age of 4 or 5. My Dad is a keen golfer and it was something I played before getting into football as a youngster.

I would say my peak came from the ages of 13 to 16 when I reached a handicap of 9 at my local course. However as I got older and started catching ''The Scottish Disease'' I no longer found myself teeing off in the medal competitions on Sunday mornings at 8.00am, but waking up with headaches at half 1 in the afternoons and soon I found myself going from playing 5 times a week to not playing at all. I'm 25 now and after several failed attempts at getting right back into it, I finally did so last summer and have been playing regularly ever since.

So basically, without giving you my life history in the sport, if you want to become decent at it you have to play often and have to be persistent as it is an extremely, extremely, extremely frustrating game. I have had several friends over the years who have attempted to take it up, have done for a wee while and when they discover they can't hit the ball like the guys on the tele, they give up and seem to play less and less. There is such a thing as ''the golf bug'' and when you get that you'll know what I mean. You can't get enough of the game and want to play all the time. If you get this and keep it then you'll overcome getting disheartened by the bad shots and hopefully get really good at it.

I would recommend getting a few lessons with a pro just to make sure you are addressing the ball correctly etc. I live in Ayr and there is a Council Season Ticket on offer which allows you to play several courses throughout the South Ayrshire area and is great value. I wouldn't run out and join an expensive club first off, I would stick to playing a cheaper course, at least until you get a bit better at the game and gain some confidence in your own ability. Then when you start playing, practice your chipping and putting religiously. That is where you'll rescue good scores going round the course. You can hook your drive, slice your 2nd shot right of the green, but if you can chip to within 6 feet and knock in putts from that kind of range 7/10 attempts, then your half way to becoming a good amateur golfer! Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Edited by Ayr_United_1910

DHD-Craigie Hill in Perth. Offer on for £170 a year for under 30s. Not bad at all!

That is rather depressing, to me anyway. My monthly direct debit for golf membership is more than that. And it's a standard private course, absolutely average rates for the county. I could save myself a fortune by moving back to Scotland.

In answer to recent queries on this thread;

New clubs; go for a respected brand name and maybe a set from 2 years ago. A mizuno set that is 2 years old will be much better than a low quality set that is new. I know people like to buy shiny new things, but with golf clubs, quality club makers are worth buying 2nd hand stuff from. Oh, and whatever you do, don't buy anything Donnay.

Custom fitting; I had it done a couple of years ago, albeit in London. If you are even semi-serious it is absolutely worth getting done, if you're going to invest in something you should make sure it fits you. A lot of places will do a simple fitting for free, with some companies it costs £50 buy you get it free if you go on to buy a set. To be honest, a simple fitting is probably enough unless you are playing very regularly and competitively, the basics would be lie, loft, kick angle, shaft, grip thickness.

Edited by mid-table

That is rather depressing, to me anyway. My monthly direct debit for golf membership is more than that. And it's a standard private course, absolutely average rates for the county. I could save myself a fortune by moving back to Scotland.

That's absolutely mental.

DHD - You've heard right, it is a hilly course! Hence the name. That said, you only have to play right up a steep hill twice on your round. Most of the time you're playing across the hill. It is pretty challenging though - if you're short on your tee shots that's where the hill comes into play as you won't get any kick on down the fairway from the first bounce, it will more likely come back the way.

Some cracking elevated tees though (particularly like the sixth and the 13th). You feel like you're watching your shot from a high TV camera point!

Custom fitting; I had it done a couple of years ago, albeit in London. If you are even semi-serious it is absolutely worth getting done, if you're going to invest in something you should make sure it fits you. A lot of places will do a simple fitting for free, with some companies it costs £50 buy you get it free if you go on to buy a set. To be honest, a simple fitting is probably enough unless you are playing very regularly and competitively, the basics would be lie, loft, kick angle, shaft, grip thickness.

Cheers- on reading my post again I didn't think the custom fit would be expensive, more that I'd be shelling out on a full new set of clubs (bar a putter, too used to my old one). I've found out from a mate who had his done that the World of Golf place up by Clydebank does it so I'm going to nick up there over the Easter weekend and see what they can do.

Edited by Fuctifano

Where would be the best place for a beginner to purchase a full set of clubs and bag, at around the £400-£600 mark. Not bothered if they are second hand aslong as they are in good condition.

I have had a look on the net but I would need to buy irons, putter, driver seperate.

Where would be the best place for a beginner to purchase a full set of clubs and bag, at around the £400-£600 mark. Not bothered if they are second hand aslong as they are in good condition.

I have had a look on the net but I would need to buy irons, putter, driver seperate.

Honestly mate. For £600 you can get a brand new set and driver and putter and bag, just about anywhere..a very quick look online and i priced a full set of nike ignite irons,a decent driver(nike or adams speedline) a decent putter and a reasonable bag for under £450 all brand new..

And if your not bothered about top brands(im not sure what level you're at) then you could get them a lot cheaper than that..

Try direct golf. They've got a decent selection. And shops in edinburgh and stirling i think

Honestly mate. For £600 you can get a brand new set and driver and putter and bag, just about anywhere..a very quick look online and i priced a full set of nike ignite irons,a decent driver(nike or adams speedline) a decent putter and a reasonable bag for under £450 all brand new..

And if your not bothered about top brands(im not sure what level you're at) then you could get them a lot cheaper than that..

Try direct golf. They've got a decent selection. And shops in edinburgh and stirling i think

Cheers mate. I am just back from the World of Golf driving range in Clydebank and had a browse around the American Golf shop. They were selling a set of Wilson clubs, 4 iron up to 9 iron, putter, driver, 2 woods, PW and SW aswell as a bag for £229.

That seemed like a good deal to me. Are Wilson clubs of a good quality?

I used to play out at Cawder in Bishopbriggs as a junior, 400 odd quid for a membership for a wean. Absolutely fantastic course, but it was murder getting on in the summer as it was so busy and there was loads of medals on, so I chucked it as it wasn't providing value for money.. Looking to take it up again for the summer, anyone know any good courses in Glasgow or East Dunbartonshire/Moodiesburn or Stepps sort of area that are public or invite day members? Played a couple of the Glasgow City Council courses a few years back and they were full of freeloading scum drinking carryouts and playing in their trackies or walking their dogs on the greens, and I don't really know of any others.

Cheers.

So my course was closed today due to snow, so me and a couple of mates went out to Crieff and played there. A par 70, I went round in 118, which included a 13 and a 9 on 2 of the 3 par 5s. Confident I should get down to the 100 mark by June/July time if I play as much as I plan on. Looking forward to it.

I've played golf on and off since the age of 4 or 5. My Dad is a keen golfer and it was something I played before getting into football as a youngster.

I would say my peak came from the ages of 13 to 16 when I reached a handicap of 9 at my local course. However as I got older and started catching ''The Scottish Disease'' I no longer found myself teeing off in the medal competitions on Sunday mornings at 8.00am, but waking up with headaches at half 1 in the afternoons and soon I found myself going from playing 5 times a week to not playing at all. I'm 25 now and after several failed attempts at getting right back into it, I finally did so last summer and have been playing regularly ever since.

So basically, without giving you my life history in the sport, if you want to become decent at it you have to play often and have to be persistent as it is an extremely, extremely, extremely frustrating game. I have had several friends over the years who have attempted to take it up, have done for a wee while and when they discover they can't hit the ball like the guys on the tele, they give up and seem to play less and less. There is such a thing as ''the golf bug'' and when you get that you'll know what I mean. You can't get enough of the game and want to play all the time. If you get this and keep it then you'll overcome getting disheartened by the bad shots and hopefully get really good at it.

I would recommend getting a few lessons with a pro just to make sure you are addressing the ball correctly etc. I live in Ayr and there is a Council Season Ticket on offer which allows you to play several courses throughout the South Ayrshire area and is great value. I wouldn't run out and join an expensive club first off, I would stick to playing a cheaper course, at least until you get a bit better at the game and gain some confidence in your own ability. Then when you start playing, practice your chipping and putting religiously. That is where you'll rescue good scores going round the course. You can hook your drive, slice your 2nd shot right of the green, but if you can chip to within 6 feet and knock in putts from that kind of range 7/10 attempts, then your half way to becoming a good amateur golfer! Good luck and let us know how you progress.

Excellent post, with good advice.