Golfers Thread

Gaz

• 2 weeks later...

1. It's not the wedges. Plenty of old guys with razor sharp short games playing with 35 year old clubs.

2. Check out this video ***warning: boring narrator***:

https://youtu.be/aE0fldnRSlk

Lots of people still trying to chip with the ball in the back of their stance, thinking that this increases the chance of hitting ball-then-ground. It really doesn't.

3. Always accelerate through the shot. Take the club away slower and speed through the ball SMOOTHLY.

4. A classic: see the clubhead hit the ball.

5. Keep 60-75% of your weight on your lead foot.

Of course, all of the above means hee-haw if you don't practice.

I'll be joining Aberdour next year, they have an absolutely brilliant offer running.

20% off your annual fee if you are recommended by a member, luckily enough I know one, he also gets 20% off.

Their 30 and under price is usually £350 with no joining fee so I'd get it for £280. They also allow you to spread it over direct debit so it works out less than £25 a month.

I really fancy this and thinking about joining up

I'm looking for a new driver any advice or recommendations?

Don't currently have a HC but would say I am between 13-15.

I use TM-RBZ which I don't like, I hit about 280ish yards.

If you're striking the driver 280 and playing to a 15 handicap you'd probably be better off investing in some short game lessons!

If you're striking the driver 280 and playing to a 15 handicap you'd probably be better off investing in some short game lessons!

I bang 280/300 hundred but never had consistency hitting the fairway.

I usually find my driver leaves me with no second shot and its my short game that saves my round that is why I am looking for any recommendations on a driver.

I know I can avoid this by using my 3 wood which is what I do but I would like to be able to use a driver and not a 3 wood and 4/5 Iron all of my round

I bang 280/300 hundred but never had consistency hitting the fairway.

I usually find my driver leaves me with no second shot and its my short game that saves my round that is why I am looking for any recommendations on a driver.

I know I can avoid this by using my 3 wood which is what I do but I would like to be able to use a driver and not a 3 wood and 4/5 Iron all of my round

A new driver might not make you start hitting the fairway on a regular basis, the fact of the matter is you either have an in-to-out or out-to-in swingpath, I'd guess out-to-in if your short game is good. Chances are you are also gripping the club slightly wrong in the left hand because you won't be returning the clubhead square at impact. If you really don't like the feel of your driver I'd invest in a more forgiving club, especially hitting it over 280 off an average handicap. Might be worth looking at your shaft as well, if you hit it that far you will have a high swing speed and will need at least a stiff shaft to accommodate such a quick motion.

A new driver might not make you start hitting the fairway on a regular basis, the fact of the matter is you either have an in-to-out or out-to-in swingpath, I'd guess out-to-in if your short game is good. Chances are you are also gripping the club slightly wrong in the left hand because you won't be returning the clubhead square at impact. If you really don't like the feel of your driver I'd invest in a more forgiving club, especially hitting it over 280 off an average handicap. Might be worth looking at your shaft as well, if you hit it that far you will have a high swing speed and will need at least a stiff shaft to accommodate such a quick motion.

Thanks bud

Agree with these two points. A lesson will be money well spent.

If your in the Fife area I would recommend Donald McKay at Wellsgreen and Eric Walker at Leven for a lesson. As Lolcat says more than likely your swing and the pro will give some really simple advice to try and correct that.

If your set on a new driver, have a bash with a mini driver. Incredibly easy to hit and shouldn't see you have to give up too much distance.

Ok club experts... The time has come for me to invest in a new set of irons. My mizuno mx-15s have served me well since purchasing in 2002 (I pre-ordered so perhaps they arrived 2003) but it's probably time to take advantage of modern technology.

Noticed that American Golf have a decent sale on just now, Callaway X-Series (5-sw) for £299 and Taylor Made Speedblade (4-pw) for £279.

At the other end of the scale, the Mizuno JPX850 (4-pw) are here for £499 and seem to have excellent reviews.

Only thing being, I note these are all termed "game improvement" clubs.

Having very little knowledge of the technology itself, I'd welcome advice as to what to go for. Best to stick to game improvement or otherwise?

Currently playing off 7 and a pretty solid iron player generally.

Intend to go up the range to try a few out but any suggestions in the meantime welcome.

Edited by Cowshed Chris

Ok club experts... The time has come for me to invest in a new set of irons. My mizuno mx-15s have served me well since purchasing in 2002 (I pre-ordered so perhaps they arrived 2003) but it's probably time to take advantage of modern technology.

Noticed that American Golf have a decent sale on just now, Callaway X-Series (5-sw) for £299 and Taylor Made Speedblade (4-pw) for £279.

At the other end of the scale, the Mizuno JPX850 (4-pw) are here for £499 and seem to have excellent reviews.

Having very little knowledge of the technology itself, I'd welcome advice as to what to go for. Best to stick to game improvement or otherwise?

Intend to go up the range to try a few out but any suggestions in the meantime welcome.

Wouldnt put you off callaways but give the cobras a try,an excellent club maker largely overlooked

I have Mizuno JPX 850 I bought from Wellsgreen (Fife) and I love them. I had callaways before them and it took some adjusting for me as they felt very heavy compared to my Callaways but I played 3 tournaments last year and won 2 with the Mizuno's.

I have Mizuno JPX 850 I bought from Wellsgreen (Fife) and I love them. I had callaways before them and it took some adjusting for me as they felt very heavy compared to my Callaways but I played 3 tournaments last year and won 2 with the Mizuno's.

How did you win 2 tournaments with no handicap???