Golfers Thread

Gaz

Dunhill Links Championship stars this week at Carnoustie, St Andrews and Kingsbarns. Anyone from here heading along?

Probably won't get the chance to head along but I would recommend it to anyone if the weather is half decent. Free entry Thursday to Saturday and pretty cheap on the Sunday as well.

The additional bonus is that with relatively small galleries you can get a decent view of play.

A Pie and Bovril golf day should defiantly happen again. Surely there would be a decent uptake?

We'll soon find out.

I'll wait until Feb payday to finalise a deal somewhere to maximise interest. I've organised quite a few big events in my time. The best way to run these things is in a purely autocratic way- book a venue and date, no negotiation and who will come will come.

We'll soon find out.

I'll wait until Feb payday to finalise a deal somewhere to maximise interest. I've organised quite a few big events in my time. The best way to run these things is in a purely autocratic way- book a venue and date, no negotiation and who will come will come.

I'm in.

• 3 weeks later...

Sad to see a club go, however I think it's far too easy for clubs to saddle the blame on the drinking ban.

You just have to look at the popularity of coffee shops across the country to see there is an alternative market to alcohol that comes with a very good mark up if done properly.

The biggest threat to golf clubs are the committes. You could argue that the golf brand had never been better with young talent and strong branding from addidas and under armour, unfortunately that is yet to filter through to the club scene. Far too many clubs are stuck in tge 80's

Edited by mojito

Sad to see a club go, however I think it's far too easy for clubs to saddle the blame on the drinking ban.

You just have to look at the popularity of coffee shops across the country to see there is an alternative market to alcohol that comes with a very good mark up if done properly.

The biggest threat to golf clubs are the committes. You could argue that the golf brand had never been better with young talent and strong branding from addidas and under armour, unfortunately that is yet to filter through to the club scene. Far too many clubs are stuck in tge 80's

Agree all of this. Golf is stuck with being too old fashioned and stuck in is way. The professional game this year is at as good a level as I can remember. With Spetih, day, fowler, mcilroy and others at the top all being young I can see it going like this for a long time.Clubs, however, need to adapt and become a little more up to date and try and do more to encourage youngsters to take part.

My last golf club had 1000 followers on twitter and the last tweet was posted over 50 days ago. A club that is running at a loss.

Saying that you have to applaud the guys that give us their time for the sake of the club but more often than not the just don't have the skill set to carry a very challenging business model forward.

My last golf club had 1000 followers on twitter and the last tweet was posted over 50 days ago. A club that is running at a loss.

Saying that you have to applaud the guys that give us their time for the sake of the club but more often than not the just don't have the skill set to carry a very challenging business model forward.

This is actually a very interesting point.

I've been a member of two clubs in my time. One club is run and managed by a 26 year old who has been a member since he was under 10. The club has over 1,200 facebook followers and regularly offers both dining and golf facebook specials to guests the other, which is more 'traditional' and old fashioned in how it is run, has no twitter or facebook.

Agree with a lot of that, if you get to the stage that only 120 members are left then you have gone wrong a long time before.

Some of the golf clubs round my way, whilst excellent are living on another planet and totally behind the times in regards to attracting members.

Cawder Golf Club my local course, where I was once a member and is a cracking course, have a £900 membership fee plus a £300 joining fee. Who are these dafties kidding? :lol: People like me can't justify that if we are playing 5-10 times a year. The business model is so archaic. It's a rich old man's club down there.

I can't say I know many boys my age who I played golf with in my school days who continue to play there. Most would rather get mad wae it or pump burds at the weekend than spend 3-4 hours a day freezing their baws off or getting soaked on a golf course.

Some of the golf clubs round my way, whilst excellent are living on another planet and totally behind the times in regards to attracting members.

Cawder Golf Club my local course, where I was once a member and is a cracking course, have a £900 membership fee plus a £300 joining fee. Who are these dafties kidding? :lol: People like me can't justify that if we are playing 5-10 times a year. The business model is so archaic. It's a rich old man's club down there.

I can't say I know many boys my age who I played golf with in my school days who continue to play there. Most would rather get mad wae it or pump burds at the weekend than spend 3-4 hours a day freezing their baws off or getting soaked on a golf course.

I absolutely hate joining fees, it's so outdated!

A course I'm joining for next season run a rolling monthly contract, far more flexibility and is only £35 a month. It's high time all courses adopted this policy.

Edited by Calvin Johnson