Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just watched the film of the 96 Masters. It's easy to forgot how monumentally bad that collapse by Norman was. Absolutely pathetic stuff. 

If anyone but Faldo had won it it would be my favourite Masters ever

Paul McGinley slavering on about Rory would be a meme if it wasn't all he ever talked about. 

Jack looking a bit healthier this morning than he did on Tuesday night. Still makes me greet that Tom Watson didn't win that Open

5 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Paul McGinley slavering on about Rory would be a meme if it wasn't all he ever talked about. 

Jack looking a bit healthier this morning than he did on Tuesday night. Still makes me greet that Tom Watson didn't win that Open

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me.

I reckon I've switched it to Sky Sports Golf about 8 times over the past 3 days and ALL they've talked about is McIlroy. It's pathetic, it's cringeworthy and it's very very boring......

7 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Mind Ken Brown's pieces of paper? For all Sky's faults that drone through Rae's Creek was tremendous 

Ken on the course was incredible. a man rolling golf balls on the greens or throwing balls in bunkers to show viewers what the course was really like.

7 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Just watched the film of the 96 Masters. It's easy to forgot how monumentally bad that collapse by Norman was. Absolutely pathetic stuff. 

5 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

That's the DP Tour arbitration decision confirmed as in favour of the DP Tour. No doubt LIV will appeal but that will be at least another year in limbo for their players. 

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Poor Poulter and Westwood

*Chef's Kiss* x3

I wonder if his various bottle jobs have contributed to him being such an utterly bitter man.

Ten years before his Masters collapse, he similarly shat it in every major in the 86 season bar The Open which he managed to win. He shot 75 to go from leading the US Open to finishing 12th on the last day, took a 5 from the middle of the last at Augusta to lose to Nicklaus and hilariously shot 76 at the USPGA. Obvs everyone remembers that for Bob Tway holing out but forgets Norman's fucking awful last round. Larry Mize of course did the same in the 87 Masters. However The 96 Masters was truly the bottle job to end all bottle jobs. I actually wanted him to win back then because nobody liked Faldo but Norman just completely and visibly wilted against him. I'm he missed at least five putts from inside 6 feet. 

31 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Kevin Na has withdrawn 

Kevin Na knows he's on everyone's nerves. His pre-shot routine of countless waggles, practice swings and back-offs is a nervous tic that continues to confound everyone.

Not until Saturday's third round of The Players Championship has his painfully slow preparation been on such an enormous stage. There are deliberate players and slow players. Then there's Na.

"There's so much on the line that I just have to sometimes back off," he said after a 4-under 68 gave him the 54-hole lead at 12 under. "I don't feel comfortable."

Once known more for making a 16 on one hole at last year's Texas Open, Na now will be remembered for being slow.

Golf announcers at NBC and the Golf Channel were openly frustrated by his pace.

"He needs an exorcist," Brandel Chamblee said.

"I feel bad for him," Johnny Miller said. "I mean really, it is embarrassing to him."

At times it was hard to count the number of waggles and practice swings before he finally hit a shot.

All everyone around him can do is watch. And wait.

One fan yelled "Go!" at the 14th tee when Na backed away with his driver.

When asked how many times Na backed away, playing partner Zach Johnson said, "More than enough."

Na generally starts each round with an apology, telling everyone in the group it's going to be slow.

"Believe me, there's a lot going on in my head," he said.

Na's emotional block came with a new swing he started 13 months ago. He's supposed to have a waggle, followed by a half-waggle and a swing. If he's not comfortable, he continues the routine again for up to three cycles. That's when he will back off and start over again.

"It's something that's in his head," Johnson said. "What's impressive is he hits really, really good shots. I know he's working on it."

By the sixth hole, he apologized again to Johnson. By the 16th hole, the PGA Tour put the final group on the clock after they momentarily fell two holes behind.

"There's more added pressure, and only the whole world is watching," he said. "Just bear with me and hopefully we get that [Sunday] round in."

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm sure Peppy would have some proper #insight into someone hitting the turn at -5 on day one. 

What a shame he chose this week to make an absolute arse of himself.....

But why would he make it up, he had photos of badges and everything...