Golfers Thread

Gaz

On 04/12/2022 at 12:47, Jamie_Beatson said:

Played St Michaels the other day (£18 for 18 holes and a coffee) - great condition for the time of year with no mats required on fairway and full greens in operation. Course playing short due to winter tees in operation but was great to get out on a course where there was still a lot of bounce on the fairways. At my home course any time after November as soon as the ball hits the deck out of the air it craters into the ground and stops...

Nice wee clubhouse and joined a three ball I caught up with for the back nine which was nice. Got round in a net two under though how much that's worth I'm not sure given how short it was playing.

St Michaels is horrific. Pay like six quid more and drive another 800 yards you can play Drumoig.  Light years better. Seriously try it, you'll thank me. No mats there either.

2 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

St Michaels is horrific. Pay like six quid more and drive another 800 yards you can play Drumoig.  Light years better. Seriously try it, you'll thank me. No mats there either.

St Mikes is quality. 

51 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

St Mikes is quality. 

You need to play more courses. A friend of mine refers to it as the worst course he's ever played. Not for me but it's  easily top five. 

Seriously try Drumoig. There aren't words to adequately convey how much better it is.

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

You a caddy there as well??

They don't have any. Are you suggesting I lied about caddying? Did you see my pass from the Dunhill this year?  

Anyway I don't care about that. Also if you want a course to play in the winter without mats go to the Fairmont outside St Andrews.

Two courses there Torrance and Kittocks they are magnificent. Proper championship courses. Though sadly they are combining the two into one 18 which is a shame. Usually about 35 quid but well worth it.

1 minute ago, HalfCutNinja said:

They don't have any. Are you suggesting I lied about caddying? Did you see my pass from the Dunhill this year?  

Anyway I don't care about that. Also if you want a course to play in the winter without mats go to the Fairmont outside St Andrews.

Two courses there Torrance and Kittocks they are magnificent. Proper championship courses. Though sadly they are combining the two into one 18 which is a shame. Usually about 35 quid but well worth it.

They become a bit of a bog over winter if there’s been any rainfall unfortunately. Decent courses but not sure I’d be rushing to play them again in winter.

7 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

They become a bit of a bog over winter if there’s been any rainfall unfortunately. Decent courses but not sure I’d be rushing to play them again in winter.

They do a bit but all courses do. They're next to the sea so not too bad. If you want to see boggy in winter go to Forfar or Alyth somewhere inland like that. Both excellent courses btw just not in winter.

22 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Yes I seen your attention seeking nonsense 

hero
It is quite alarming to hear how Bob describes himself as "the most negative guy about", definitely something he has to work on. He hits some amount of quality shots there, he had more near misses and an ace in his goes than some have managed in the full 500.

On 06/12/2022 at 14:50, HalfCutNinja said:

I've played Drumoig and the Fairmont (Kittocks) previously. Like them both a lot. Particularly Drumoig - I go to the range there pretty regularly, nipping over from Dundee after work if I can. I definitely wouldn't class St Mikes as horrific anyway, the big thing was that the ground was pretty solid despite all the rain recently so you were getting a good run out on drives instead of it stopping dead where it pitched. I mostly play on parkland courses a bit further inland where I live and right now basically your carry distance is your total. I'd like to give it another go in the summer when the full tees are in operation. Nice wee clubhouse and the members I ran into were very friendly and helpful.

Last time I played at Drumoig it was absolutely dead, but it does have some lovely holes. Fairmont was obviously a cut above again. Particularly good because I got it on a freebie.

On 09/12/2022 at 08:17, Jamie_Beatson said:

I've played Drumoig and the Fairmont (Kittocks) previously. Like them both a lot. Particularly Drumoig - I go to the range there pretty regularly, nipping over from Dundee after work if I can. I definitely wouldn't class St Mikes as horrific anyway, the big thing was that the ground was pretty solid despite all the rain recently so you were getting a good run out on drives instead of it stopping dead where it pitched. I mostly play on parkland courses a bit further inland where I live and right now basically your carry distance is your total. I'd like to give it another go in the summer when the full tees are in operation. Nice wee clubhouse and the members I ran into were very friendly and helpful.

Last time I played at Drumoig it was absolutely dead, but it does have some lovely holes. Fairmont was obviously a cut above again. Particularly good because I got it on a freebie.

Yeah you lose so much distance in the winter, people really don't appreciate how much. Even in the colder temperatures the ball flies significantly less. I'm really not a fan of St Mike's except I think it's 16 and 17 are decent the ones next to the road.

Both courses at the Fairmont are excellent, the Torrance, obviously designed by Sam Torrance, was built with the intention of trying to get the Scottish open from what I'm told. It's a proper championship course with tees way back.

But sadly they are being combined into one 18 now which I think is a real shame. We've lost a few decent courses in this area recently. Camperdown was a magnificent layout, tee to green absolutely outstanding. Just wasn't always in the condition it deserved. And Letham Grange, the Augusta of Scotland (also built with the intention of getting the Scottish open) was brilliant. Fabulous. Real shame, I hate to see that.

Drumoig for me is about asg good as value for money gets golf wise. If they had the money to tidy it up a wee bit here and there and put the old second green back in it would be an amazing course.

On 06/12/2022 at 19:51, HalfCutNinja said:

Anyway I don't care about that.

On 06/12/2022 at 20:32, HalfCutNinja said:

No you saw me refuting the lies of people like you.

Anyone can use ebay m8.