Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t want to promote violence lads but see these old dicks who play slow and don’t let you through…..they should be smashed across the skull with a 5 iron. Completely unacceptable the pace of play at my course this morning. Towards the end I asked to play through (I never usually asked) and the old duffer just laughed. 

This was a pretty continual issue at at Kirrie many years ago, especially if you were a junior. I got a complete bollocking once for losing the plot after taking 3 hours to get to the 14th tee (anyone who knows Kirrie will know that's laughably slow). One of the miserable fucking pulled his tee shot into the shite on the left so I just belted a drive over the right corner and played through. The main culprit was fucking livid. He was also the club's President. Oops 😂

14 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

This was a pretty continual issue at at Kirrie many years ago, especially if you were a junior. I got a complete bollocking once for losing the plot after taking 3 hours to get to the 14th tee (anyone who knows Kirrie will know that's laughably slow). One of the miserable fucking pulled his tee shot into the shite on the left so I just belted a drive over the right corner and played through. The main culprit was fucking livid. He was also the club's President. Oops 😂

I don’t want to sound ageist in anyway but it’s always old boys. Just waddling about, hitting it 120 yards and holding everyone up. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be playing but what I am saying is that they need to let you play through.

I really like Kirrie. One of my favourite courses in Angus  

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t want to sound ageist in anyway but it’s always old boys. Just waddling about, hitting it 120 yards and holding everyone up. I’m not saying they shouldn’t be playing but what I am saying is that they need to let you play through.

I really like Kirrie. One of my favourite courses in Angus  

It was ALWAYS old guys, especially at that time. Selfish arseholes. 

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

It was ALWAYS old guys, especially at that time. Selfish arseholes. 

Aye! Old duffers set in there ways and won’t change them. 

If you are still a member there I’d love to join you for a game next season 

Edited by lichtie23

Just now, Day of the Lords said:

Yeah, definitely get something organised next season 👍

Brilliant. More than welcome at Kingennie whenever you want as well. 

As everyone on here is if there in the area. Il happily sign you lads on 

11 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t want to promote violence lads but see these old dicks who play slow and don’t let you through…..they should be smashed across the skull with a 5 iron. Completely unacceptable the pace of play at my course this morning. Towards the end I asked to play through (I never usually asked) and the old duffer just laughed. 

My rule of thumb has always been if you are ahead of a group with less players than your own then wave them through at the earliest opportunity, i.e. if your out in a 3 ball and see 2 guys standing on the tee of the hole you are playing, wave them through. If it was another 3 ball I would be more inclined to wait, but any smaller group will get waved through. They might not be up your arse after the second or third hole but you can guarantee by the time they get to the 9th they will be standing about on tee boxes waiting on you etc. 

I know some people might not want to hear it, especially in these modern times, but groups of women are the worst for this. My course has a woman’s competition after the Saturday medal, and if you can’t make the early tee time you need to go out after the women. You could be firing drives 200 yards over their heads and they still wouldn’t think to wave you through. 

On a round earlier this year a 4 ball of auld dicks in front of us (2 of us) suggested that we skip some holes instead of them letting us through because there was another 4 ball in front of them. When we suggested we could play through both 4 balls they just laughed and trotted on. We ended up tying in with another 2 ball behind us because we were all stood on the tee together waiting on these c***s, before they ended their round at the 14th nearly 4 hours into the round. I think that's what pissed me off the most, they weren't even doing the full 18 and putting a score in or that, just plodding about for a hit and holding folk up. I love golf but the c***s it attracts are to be well avoided, some of the most entitled wankers you'll meet. 

I thought my comment would maybe cause some controversy/derision between posters but it’s great to see that everyone feels the same. 

These old retired boys have all week to play as well while I’m (and I’m guessing most of you) have to work and are restricted to just playing at the weekend 

51 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I thought my comment would maybe cause some controversy/derision between posters but it’s great to see that everyone feels the same. 

These old retired boys have all week to play as well while I’m (and I’m guessing most of you) have to work and are restricted to just playing at the weekend 

I play during the week mostly but the problem is still there at weekends too, many a crisp Sunday morning has been ruined by these wanks. Monday mornings are the worst for it at DGC, its wall to wall 4 balls of old dicks. 

19 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

For balance, I need to say that most of the arseholes at our club are in their late 50s/early 60s, rather than the proper old boys.

There is one lad who is 82, still playing off 8, who gets utterly seething at them

Is that Monifieth mate? I know they’ve got a boy in his 80s that was playing off something low 

Slow play is bullshit, and there's no need for it at all, particularly in bounce games.

I'm a naturally quick player and I get quite agitated if I'm playing with folks that aren't keen to let folk through if they're a bit wayward and looking for a few balls, and I end up speeding up my own play in an effort to make up for them, usually to hilarious effect.

I have heard folk "boasting" after a four and a half hour round that they're "much quicker than the Pros", which tells its own story...

Our groundstaff twitter account always puts out the weekly rainfall total on a Monday, this past week was 25mm. That takes the total for October to 217mm, 87mm more than October last year. The greens are holding up phenomenally well considering.

On 30/10/2022 at 10:55, The Moonster said:

I play during the week mostly but the problem is still there at weekends too, many a crisp Sunday morning has been ruined by these wanks. Monday mornings are the worst for it at DGC, its wall to wall 4 balls of old dicks. 

Monday mornings are normally the seniors comp at a lot of clubs I've played at.

Nowadays I either go for an early tee time for a Sunday or a late one if I play the weekend medal.Must admit Ive grown to like the early time as you are done n dusted and I see the groups all bunched up on tee boxes as I'm driving away 

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Monday mornings are normally the seniors comp at a lot of clubs I've played at.

Nowadays I either go for an early tee time for a Sunday or a late one if I play the weekend medal.Must admit Ive grown to like the early time as you are done n dusted and I see the groups all bunched up on tee boxes as I'm driving away 

No comp on a Monday for us, just seems to be the time the oldies love.

No comp on a Monday for us, just seems to be the time the oldies love.
At Bishopbriggs we have a Tuesday club that is mostly older guys who play on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, fortunately days that I rarely play through the week.

I do like to try and play on a Monday though, and Monday and Wednesday are the two days that the women play. I can usually make it out before them, but if I can't it's not too bad as most of them only play 1-8 then 17 and 18 and go for lunch, so you know you won't be stuck behind them for too long.

Got an early evening tee time at the Gailes on Thursday with a few ex-colleagues. First 6 holes were played in horizontal rain and hurricane-like wind, and we were genuinely close to chucking it at one point, but on the 7th tee the clouds parted and the wind settled slightly giving us some more favourable conditions.

I actually seem to play better when the weather is bad for some reason, I’m unsure as to the reasons why. The ball doesn’t go as far but I’m much more down the middle than I usually would be on a calmer day. Instead of trying to play full iron shots like normal I was clubbing up, swinging slower and trying to make better contact with the ball. There was holes where my ball never got 30 feet above ground level, but I was almost always putting for net birdies and pars. I was the high handicapper in the 4 ball, with the next highest being 16.0 and the lowest off 5.0. I was off 22 and shot 85 (net 63) to take the £60 winnings. It’s the second lowest I’ve ever shot on any course ever, and replaced a counting score of 106 at Gullane No2 on my Scottish Golf app :lol: 

The course was in absolutely unreal condition for this time of year, and I will be doing my best to get back down sometime next summer to play it on a nice day, thoroughly enjoyed it.