Golfers Thread

Gaz

It's weird , my dad who got as low as 5 handicap and now 12 handicap has had eleven, me, I have been down to 3 and now am 6 handicap and have had five, but my brother who is plus one handicap has only ever had one hole in one. Motto, better being lucky than good applies to holes in one !!

Edited by perthsaint1977

11 holes in 1, does he play every fckin day?

Never had any came close a few times.

Anyway played last night, first try of Addidas Gripmore and was very very pleased, very comfortable even for first time on, great grip and support never in anyway felt comprimised when swinging, wasnt a wet round but performed superbly, pity I couldnt say the same about my golf, shot a 90 and had an 8 on the card without losing a ball at the hole, still in shock about that.

Also tried Wilson FG Tour golf balls, got sample pack with 2 in it but lost them both by the 8th, this ball is Wilsons prov1 but hasnt done enough to make me change from prov1 to them. To be honest the way I am striking the ball just now it wouldnt matter if it was a Pinnacle Gold or a prov1 I was hitting. Struggling to get any consistency just now. My drives are all over the place one l to r next one r to l then boom one straight. I cant play for particular shape of shot if i hit a l to r then next hole aim it up left I will hit it r to l and be a mile of target, beginning to do my nut in.

I Have got a 3h and its a passenger in my bag, hit it shit and has big offset so tends to fly right to left (hook) more than any club in my bag, fed up with it so decided to look at a 5w, not had a 5w since I was about 15 yrs old so going to try it out.

Notice the SLDR has a 5w in 19 degree and also have another wood (7 wood) at 23 degree and without hitting this I am very interested. I have got Callaway x hot irons starting at 5i so I am thinking 5w will replace my 3 hybrid which I bought to replace 3i, and offer maybe extra 10 yards on this and a 7w would replace my 4 iron.

Anybody else got a 7 wood in their bag?

Anybody else got hybrid they cant see to hit work with?

McIlroy doing his ankle is slightly disappointing for anyone due to attend either of the upcoming Opens in Scotland over the next fortnight.

I doubt he'll go for a kick about two weeks before a major again any time soon.

I Have got a 3h and its a passenger in my bag, hit it shit and has big offset so tends to fly right to left (hook) more than any club in my bag, fed up with it so decided to look at a 5w, not had a 5w since I was about 15 yrs old so going to try it out.

Notice the SLDR has a 5w in 19 degree and also have another wood (7 wood) at 23 degree and without hitting this I am very interested. I have got Callaway x hot irons starting at 5i so I am thinking 5w will replace my 3 hybrid which I bought to replace 3i, and offer maybe extra 10 yards on this and a 7w would replace my 4 iron.

Anybody else got a 7 wood in their bag?

Anybody else got hybrid they cant see to hit work with?

I love hybrids but I see loads of people trying to hit them like fairway woods. Hit them like a 5 iron and they will launch high and straight. Yes, they do have a tendency to be offset, meaning they can hook badly but it's about practicing them until you're comfortable.

7 woods are commonly referred to as 'gentleman's persuaders'. Not many kicking about now due to the popularity of hybrids, but if you can successfully launch fairway woods, then these can be a godsend. I have heard of a 18 handicapper get down to single figures in a season by carrying a 7 wood and 9 wood with the least lofted iron in the bag being an 8 iron! It's not how, it's how many.

Case in point about hybrid, I am 210 yards out on par 5 last night, I have 3 wood, 3hybrid or 5 iron in bag. 3 wood is going 30 yards over green 3h is about there and 5 iron is dropping 25 yards short. I was playing well, 3h not out the bag (starting to think its a mental thing with 3h) decided I am being silly this is perfect range for it takes it out swings club almost a shank flies to right hits off a tree on the OB line and bounces back in play 40 yards further up than where I was, take out a 6 iron, thin this to right chip on and 3 putt.....KABOOM 7 from a perfect drive!

I am taking it out my bag altogether, was going to snap it over my knee last night, a fvckin hate hybrids. 5w will be purchased this weekend and need something to plug gap between 5w and 5 iron which is quite large so 7 wood looks like a must.

I adore my Hybrid. I have the John Letters T9+. It's got to the stage where I can't miss it even if I try. It is so forgiving.

I have the same clubs. When I hit them well the hybrids are great (I have 3 and 4), but it's not a rare occurrence for them to make a banana shape to the right.

It's weird , my dad who got as low as 5 handicap and now 12 handicap has had eleven, me, I have been down to 3 and now am 6 handicap and have had five, but my brother who is plus one handicap has only ever had one hole in one. Motto, better being lucky than good applies to holes in one !!

My father was a scratch player in the 1960's and my uncle was a top Scottish pro in his time.

Faither had 5 holes in one, Uncle had none.

I've had 3 holes in one [last one was also my second albatross].

Will there be many guys up on Monday practicing? Only day off I have this whole week and wouldn't mind watching some golf?

Yeah, 15quid to get in on Monday, official practice days start tomorrow. Tiger etc will all be there.

Today was very informal just walked onto the course for a look and ended up out at 16 watching Watson.

Scott, Watson, Snedeker, Stenson, Horschel and a few others were all out and just taking 2 or 3 approach shots getting lines on the green and chatting with the crowd. Guess the real practice days will be far more formal and official.

post-21072-14366436878867_thumb.jpg

Edited by DigOutYourSoul

I'm heading along on Thursday. Looking forward to it, although St Andrews is not the best spectator course.

Probably not the best for normal spectating but today was literally walking along beside them as they played their shots close. Doesn't really get much better from a spectating point of view.

Still tempted at a Sunday ticket next weekend.

Probably not the best for normal spectating but today was literally walking along beside them as they played their shots close. Doesn't really get much better from a spectating point of view.

I wish I'd thought of that actually. I'm only half an hours drive away and was sitting at home watching the Scottish Open on TV.

I wish I'd thought of that actually. I'm only half an hours drive away and was sitting at home watching the Scottish Open on TV.

Didn't even plan it. Went over with the missus for lunch and had a wander down to see what was happening ended up down there for 3 hours walking the course and watching all the people I mentioned above. Cracking afternoon. Enjoy Thursday.

Will definitely go at some point but TV for me for the final round.