Golfers Thread

Gaz

I played in a 3 man scramble at Campsie GC on Saturday. My own course Bishopbriggs is almost dead flat, Campsie is the opposite. My legs were in tatters on Sunday. As were my arms with midgie bites.

We had 6 shots, and managed a bogey free nett 58. Will find out from my workmate who invited me tonight if that was anywhere near the prizes.

We have got one prize though. All the par 3s had a nearest the pin, except the 14th. Instead, that was their money hole for any team scoring a 2. It's downhill about 185 yards to a narrow green with a bank on the right hand side and everything sloping away to the left. I caught a six iron perfectly, it bounced just short of the front edge and ran up to about 8 feet. As standard, I missed the putt, but the second attempt went in.

I hadn't played at Campsie for a few years, but it is much improved from my last visit.

Played my 1st Greensomes match tonight. Even though it was a successful evening and we won 1up I can’t say I was a fan of the format. Didn’t feel I could get into any rhythm and due to my partner 1 putting the 1st 3 holes I didn’t have a putt until the 4th. 

I watched the "Seve" documentary referenced earlier in the thread. Absolutely brilliant to watch and brought back a few memories of watching him win the Open when i was first getting into golf. Totally recommend it. 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Played my 1st Greensomes match tonight. Even though it was a successful evening and we won 1up I can’t say I was a fan of the format. Didn’t feel I could get into any rhythm and due to my partner 1 putting the 1st 3 holes I didn’t have a putt until the 4th.

I love Greensomes and Foursomes, they're so much more fun than Better-Ball.

I used to play in an annual match between 2 winter sweeps and we played an adapted form of Greensomes called Gruesomes - at 3 holes per 9, your opponents got to choose your team's drive. It's a totally demonic format that they should introduce into Ryder Cup matches asap.

10 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

8 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

I love Greensomes and Foursomes, they're so much more fun than Better-Ball.

I used to play in an annual match between 2 winter sweeps and we played an adapted form of Greensomes called Gruesomes - at 3 holes per 9, your opponents got to choose your team's drive. It's a totally demonic format that they should introduce into Ryder Cup matches asap.

Foursomes is the best form of golf, absolutely brilliant fun. Unsure if you were playing with someone you don’t know Lichtie as that would be a bit shite, but if you’ve got a good partner then the strategy involved in shot choice etc as a pair just makes it so much fun.

I played in a 3 man scramble at Campsie GC on Saturday. My own course Bishopbriggs is almost dead flat, Campsie is the opposite. My legs were in tatters on Sunday. As were my arms with midgie bites.

We had 6 shots, and managed a bogey free nett 58. Will find out from my workmate who invited me tonight if that was anywhere near the prizes.

We have got one prize though. All the par 3s had a nearest the pin, except the 14th. Instead, that was their money hole for any team scoring a 2. It's downhill about 185 yards to a narrow green with a bank on the right hand side and everything sloping away to the left. I caught a six iron perfectly, it bounced just short of the front edge and ran up to about 8 feet. As standard, I missed the putt, but the second attempt went in.

I hadn't played at Campsie for a few years, but it is much improved from my last visit.

So our nett 58 wasn't good enough for a prize, but our scratch 64 came third, so a wee bonus for that along with the 2.

If anyone in the ayrshire area fancies a confidence boost I would highly recommend Fullarton on the municipal Troon Links. Shot my best ever round by a mile at the weekend, with a 6 over par 72. Doubled the first and the last, went through the middles 16 in 2 over. Previous best round was 13 over.

On 18/07/2022 at 13:14, EvilScotsman said:

Away from the LIV circus and back to "why golf is amazing", I'm playing my first competitive golf in 20 years next weekend, in a 2 day Stableford event at Goswick. Currently, the excitement and anticipation is currently edging out the absolute fear of shanking the opening tee shot, but I fully expect that to have reversed by the time I get there!

Being paired with a +1 and a 4 handicap and being last to play didn't help with the opening tee nerves, and I struggled with the wind on the first day - 31 points put me 23rd out of 52. The wind switched direction for day two, and was joined by torrential rain, but despite my umbrella breaking on the 9th my 36 points (4th best of the day, though ~15 didn't finish) was good enough for a seventh place finish. The highlight was definitely lipping out for eagle after driving the 18th in a right to left crosswind on day two.

I can highly recommend Goswick, and if you're making a trip of it Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Newbiggin are all worth playing too. Herself (still in Sheffield) has tested positive for Covid, so I'm now stuck here for a few extra days. Now, where should I play tomorrow....?

20 minutes ago, EvilScotsman said:

Being paired with a +1 and a 4 handicap and being last to play didn't help with the opening tee nerves, and I struggled with the wind on the first day - 31 points put me 23rd out of 52. The wind switched direction for day two, and was joined by torrential rain, but despite my umbrella breaking on the 9th my 36 points (4th best of the day, though ~15 didn't finish) was good enough for a seventh place finish. The highlight was definitely lipping out for eagle after driving the 18th in a right to left crosswind on day two.

I can highly recommend Goswick, and if you're making a trip of it Bamburgh Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle and Newbiggin are all worth playing too. Herself (still in Sheffield) has tested positive for Covid, so I'm now stuck here for a few extra days. Now, where should I play tomorrow....?

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-courses/britain-ireland/england/northumberland

The highest rated in that area. Would be heading to Goswick or Alnmouth if it was me.

Edited by Stringer Bell

Liv going for Asia by the sounds of it at the rate they are announcing tournaments over there who will be the first player to leave because they are playing too much 🤣

36 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Liv going for Asia by the sounds of it at the rate they are announcing tournaments over there who will be the first player to leave because they are playing too much 🤣

Guys rejoining the PGA because they want to spend more time with their family.

I’ve had a really good run of competitive rounds recently. After another good round today I reckon my handicap index will be down to an all time low of 6.0. Good round today aided by an outrageous piece of good fortune on the par 4 7th. Second  shot looked well right to the extent I hit a provisional. Wandered down to find the first ball sitting on the green about 15 feet from the pin. The putt never looked like missing and gained me 4 Stableford points. 😀

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

15 hours ago, EvilScotsman said:

Goswick is a lovely course, and I also really enjoyed Bamburgh Castle. Cracking views on the latter.

If you don't mind heading inland a wee bit, I can recommend Hexham - the greens were fantastic when I played there a few years back.