Golfers Thread

Gaz

I’m not sure how this will work because the Asian tour currently gets considerably less ranking points than the PGA and European tours so even if they do play they’ll get overtaken by others playing elsewhere. There is an overhaul coming but not until 2024 where it will (hopefully) be too late for them and they’ll have disappeared into the distance.
To summarise, i’ve no clue and wish Greg Norman would just f**k off.
The ranking points for each tourney are calculated on the strength of field, which is worked out from everyone's world ranking. In theory it sounds good that if all the players were to play in the same Asian tour events then it would bump up the field strength and points on offer.

There are two problems though. The players rankings are all dropping week by week, so the field strength won't get the big boost they would hope. Second, they would have to be finishing in the top few spots for them to get any decent points.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Edinburgh Airport this morning. All those bags are supposed to be on a plane.

Decided to hire in Vilamoura later on this year after hearing about all the horror stories in basically every airport just now even though I've had no problems in the past 

8 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Decided to hire in Vilamoura later on this year after hearing about all the horror stories in basically every airport just now even though I've had no problems in the past 

Been told to use a company called ShipSticks for getting the clubs across. I’m going to Vilamoura in September and was quoted £380 there and back. It’s quite steep but I’ve heard too many horror stories recently that I’m willing to pay, and they seem to have a good reputation. Would hate to be sitting on the plane wondering if my clubs were still in one piece when I landed. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Been told to use a company called ShipSticks for getting the clubs across. I’m going to Vilamoura in September and was quoted £380 there and back. It’s quite steep but I’ve heard too many horror stories recently that I’m willing to pay, and they seem to have a good reputation. Would hate to be sitting on the plane wondering if my clubs were still in one piece when I landed. 

£380 is a mental amount simply to fly golf clubs independently of your own air travel - surely they will be flown over (or am I missing something that they are called SHIPsticks) Any cargo on a plane is at risk of not turning up so I am not sure what your £380 gets you.  Would imagine it would be cheaper to buy a second hand set in Portugal....or rent 

It was great to see a Kemnay member, Fraser Laird win the Scottish Boys at the weekend. His dedication to the sport is unbelievable - it is very rare that I am on the course and he is not playing too or practicing (and I am on a lot living next door)

He won the title on Sunday and there he was practicing his putting on Monday.  I spoke to him on the putting green around 3pm, went past on my bike around 7pm and he was still there (in a different shirt) and saw him again on the 18th at just before 10pm.  He definitely has the right work ethic and attitude to make it and wish him all the best in the Scottish Amateur next week.

He is now guaranteed to play for Scotland and will have his pick of US colleges when he plans to go there next year (told me he was taking a year out after leaving school....to play more golf)

13 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

It was great to see a Kemnay member, Fraser Laird win the Scottish Boys at the weekend. His dedication to the sport is unbelievable - it is very rare that I am on the course and he is not playing too or practicing (and I am on a lot living next door)

He won the title on Sunday and there he was practicing his putting on Monday.  I spoke to him on the putting green around 3pm, went past on my bike around 7pm and he was still there (in a different shirt) and saw him again on the 18th at just before 10pm.  He definitely has the right work ethic and attitude to make it and wish him all the best in the Scottish Amateur next week.

He is now guaranteed to play for Scotland and will have his pick of US colleges when he plans to go there next year (told me he was taking a year out after leaving school....to play more golf)

If he can emulate his namesake Martin when he goes across he'll do very well for himself.

Stenson always seemed like one of the good guys so it's a pity, although his profile (Ryder Cup captaincy excepted) always fitted the sort of player that would be desperate to jump on to the LIV gravy train.

Embarrassing for the European Tour though, no doubt about that, and not great for the prestige of the Ryder Cup either.

It looks like there are still a couple of names to be announced for next week as well.

Probably a generalisation but i tend to find the sorts of guys who support the LIV tour in various comments sections and on social media are the sorts of losers who pick the most successful American Football franchise and suddenly become loud and vocal supporters of them, whilst slagging off all the lesser teams, despite knowing next to nothing about the sport. See also Man City fans. 

I thought Stenson was a decent guy as well, but selling out your Ryder Cup captaincy for some grubby LIV money is really, really poor.

The only solution to this clusterfuck is for a concrete ruling that LIV events won't garner world ranking points and it needs to happen quickly. 

Norman is a c**t. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

45 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Probably a generalisation but i tend to find the sorts of guys who support the LIV tour in various comments sections and on social media are the sorts of losers who pick the most successful American Football franchise and suddenly become loud and vocal supporters of them, whilst slagging off all the lesser teams, despite knowing next to nothing about the sport. See also Man City fans. 

I thought Stenson was a decent guy as well, but selling out your Ryder Cup captaincy for some grubby LIV money is really, really poor.

The only solution to this clusterfuck is for a concrete ruling that LIV events won't garner world ranking points and it needs to happen quickly. 

Norman is a c**t. 

You would never tire of slapping that face

733E6183-2D28-4699-B5B4-D0582B08CBC4.jpeg