Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 hours ago, peasy23 said:

9 players who played the first LIV event won't play on the second.

6 new players (Brooks, Bryson, Ancer, Perez, Reed and Yuki Inamori) take their places, with 3 more TBC.

Screenshot_20220622-224918_Facebook.jpg

Larrazabal always seems a bit of a prat to me so funny to see him punted. Brooks has presumably joined on the condition that Chase gets lifetime membership. 

Rather than throwing cash at arsehole players, The LIV series would go up in my estimation if they offered money to tempt fans away from US PGA Tour events and into their own circus sideshow exhibition matches. The Saudis could offer $500 for every ‘Go in the Hole!’, $550 for a ‘You’re the man!’, $600 for a ‘Go get em’ Scottie!’, ‘$650 for a ‘Mashed potato!’, ‘$700 for a ‘Babba-booeee!’, $750 for a ‘Boogaahh-oooooeeee!’, $800 for the extremely new and popular ‘Light a candle!’, and at the top of their hit-list, $1000 for ‘Twenty million chickens!’.

Would, at a pen-stroke, make watching feeshal’ US PGA golf events 100% more enjoyable for the viewing public. Make it happen Norman, you bawbag.

Teed it up in the midweek medal last night a beautiful evening and Ladybank is running hard and fast, which really suits the course.

After a horrendous season so far, and 3 weeks without picking up my sticks due to a combination of holidays and a wedding, I was prepared to take yet another hit in my inexorable rise to double figures. I really surprised myself by hitting pretty much everything out the middle (bar a horrendous gap wedge from 100 yards that cost me a double), and holed a few decent putts on the way to a nett 68. Woke up this morning to find that this has been lodged as my best-ever WHS Score Differential of 2.0, and I've taken 0.9 off my Handicap Index in one swoop. I'm now officially one of the top 13,300 male golfers in Scotland 😆

It's a stupid game, though - I fully expect to be back struggling to break 90 on Saturday whilst defending my second-best Score Differential... 🙄

42 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For the LIV golfers like Ogletree who’ll now likely never play in another event, did they also get a big initial payout? If not, surely they are completely fucked now?

Seemingly it's "guaranteed" cash they signed up for

But it would be funny if it's pay as you play for jobbers like him

72 blows net this aft/eve and first full round in shorts what an absolute treat ....big dog still misbehaving so got "retired" after the 6th.

Away to Ireland next week for a few days so will hit the range over the weekend for a tune up so I don't lose all my balls at the old head links again🤣

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

For the LIV golfers like Ogletree who’ll now likely never play in another event, did they also get a big initial payout? If not, surely they are completely fucked now?

As it stands they're going to need to try and get into the Asian Tour since they threw their hat in with LIV. Noticed the likes of Oosthuizen playing in the DP Tour event this week. 

All eyes on what they do with the field for the Scottish Open which is co sanctioned with the PGA Tour. 

15 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

As it stands they're going to need to try and get into the Asian Tour since they threw their hat in with LIV. Noticed the likes of Oosthuizen playing in the DP Tour event this week. 

All eyes on what they do with the field for the Scottish Open which is co sanctioned with the PGA Tour. 

Liv jobbers banned from Scottish open 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/2022/06/23/saudi-golf-rebels-banned-scottish-open-plight-europes-ryder/?utm_content=sport&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1656003817

Pitched in from 80 yards on the final hole today , what a feeling . First ever hole out from that range , first ever eagle ... Oh no wait I put my first in the trees and had to take 3 off the tee so it was the most satisfying/disappointing par I've ever had ! 

17 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Pitched in from 80 yards on the final hole today , what a feeling . First ever hole out from that range , first ever eagle ... Oh no wait I put my first in the trees and had to take 3 off the tee so it was the most satisfying/disappointing par I've ever had ! 

I holed out with a 7 iron for an eagle two probably 20 years ago which is my 'hole in one moment'.  Naturally I was out on my own and the course was quiet so there was nobody at all to bear witness to the feat. 

8 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I holed out with a 7 iron for an eagle two probably 20 years ago which is my 'hole in one moment'.  Naturally I was out on my own and the course was quiet so there was nobody at all to bear witness to the feat. 

Guy I worked with hit a hole in 1 at a club charity day , was dancing about , sprinted all the way to the hole to pick it up and dancing about the green for a bit with plenty of witnesses before his playing partner reminded him that his shot was a provisional so nice par 😂

Anyone on here manage to get tickets for The Open? I was unsuccessful through the ballot but my friend has managed to secure a couple for the Friday. Any recommendations for a good location to watch a few groups go through? Last time I was at St Andrews we found a good location up the back of the stand behind the first green. Obviously gives a great view of the 1st green, but you can also see the 2nd tee box, the 17th green and the 18th tee as well. 

I was there in 2000 as a very young boy. I remember my uncle lifting me up on top of a wheelie bin at the side of one of the greens in order to catch a glimpse of Tiger. If Tiger plays anything like he did for those 4 days in 2000 he will win at a canter. 

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone on here manage to get tickets for The Open? I was unsuccessful through the ballot but my friend has managed to secure a couple for the Friday. Any recommendations for a good location to watch a few groups go through? Last time I was at St Andrews we found a good location up the back of the stand behind the first green. Obviously gives a great view of the 1st green, but you can also see the 2nd tee box, the 17th green and the 18th tee as well. 

I was there in 2000 as a very young boy. I remember my uncle lifting me up on top of a wheelie bin at the side of one of the greens in order to catch a glimpse of Tiger. If Tiger plays anything like he did for those 4 days in 2000 he will win at a canter. 

I was unsuccessful. First time I've missed a St Andrews Open for ages. Not a fan of the ballot... 

There are some decent viewing points round the loop at the far end of the course. You can usually pick a spot round there that will let you take in a couple of holes. They usually have a stand behind the 11th green which is decent for that. 

It's not a good viewing course for following a group round so picking a stand is the best way to go unless you're really keen to follow a particular group. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

8 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Be nice to the stewards at the 12th👀

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

That's one of the better spots, that and the mound beside 7/8 but that will be packed and probably won't see much.  Find St Andrews a terrible viewing course for the spectator - Carnoustie far superior. 

On LIV, and Ogletree - it seems a few of the smaller guys, Talor Gooch was the one I heard about, got one off payments to be partially offset against future earnings from the series so it was garuanteed cash up front but not as paid out of the purse each event.

While Ogletree is now guaranteed starts on the Asian Tour where he would previously have had no status. 

Feels like a bit of a non punishment tbh - a £100k fine which they can all pay no bother with their LIV fees and banned from two co-sanctioned PGA Tour events they were never getting into anyway. It kind of feels like they’re keeping their feet in both camps by coming out with sanctions for the LIV players, but not actually banning those who took part from the DPWT (which I think would be a very tricky thing for them to do realistically). 

1 minute ago, Ignoramus said:

Feels like a bit of a non punishment tbh - a £100k fine which they can all pay no bother with their LIV fees and banned from two co-sanctioned PGA Tour events they were never getting into anyway. It kind of feels like they’re keeping their feet in both camps by coming out with sanctions for the LIV players, but not actually banning those who took part from the DPWT (which I think would be a very tricky thing for them to do realistically). 

From what Sky are reporting they have been suspended from future tournaments so they won't be able to take part in any event on the tour beyond this weeks.

17 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

From what Sky are reporting they have been suspended from future tournaments so they won't be able to take part in any event on the tour beyond this weeks.

That would make a bit more sense in terms of actually picking a side. Wonder what the PGA Tour have chucked at them to secure their support for their ‘alliance’? More co-sanctioned tournaments with big fields in future maybe? (Wentworth, Ireland)

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Again, I can't help but think of the double standards when talking of their "greed".

Using the Scottish Open as an example, we've now got it co-sanctioned which effectively means that the European tour (DP world)  flagship event is now pretty much a closed shop and omits the majority of the actual European tour players and young scots in place of the super rich pot hunters from the PGA tour.

Yes, it might be good for the fans and Yes it will undoubtedly be good for the sponsors and those who are lucky enough to get a place in it, however let's not pretend that it's anything other than greed as regards those running the show and those already dining at the top table.

I really don't like the way the whole game is going (whether it be the normal tours or the LIV mob) as all it's doing is handing crazy money to the chosen few.

Ultimately we've got majors, then we introduced the WGC's and then it was the "Rolex events" (which were bad enough) so WHY do we need these co-sanctioned events that only permit the top players to play to the detriment of the actual card carrying tour players ??

As I say, nothing but pure unadulterated greed.....