Golfers Thread

Gaz

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

Absolutely this. They are fvcking dreadful losers, if we're doing the stereotype thang.....................

Normally I'm not a fan of the stereotype thing, but when it comes to the Yanks I'm all for it.

That was an absolutely magnificent final day to round off one of my favourite ever majors. It literally couldn't have gone better:

• Dramatic win when he looked like he'd fucked it on the last
  • Plays one of the greatest last hole bunker shots of all time (better than Sandy's imo)
  • Lee Westwood will probably bitter AF
  • I think the top 3 were all in my dream team

GLORIOUS

The new US Open champion talks! “No words. It’s what you grow up dreaming of. it’s something I’ve worked so hard for, for such a long time. There was a big monkey on my back, trying to win over here. All everyone ever talked about was that. To do it as a major for my first win, there’s nothing better. I had so much patience today. If I can hit 18 greens, I’d like to think I’ve got a good chance. I near as dammit did it. I got a couple of nice breaks on 15 and took advantage of it, and that’s what it took at the end. Me and Billy [Foster, his caddie] spent a lot of time talking about the 18th tee shot. Undecided. I hit 3-wood today into the bunker, and if there’s one shot I’ve struggled with this year that I just do not want, it’s a fairway bunker shot. Ha ha! I guess ability took over, and it’s one of the best shots I’ve hit of all time!”

Fitzpatrick talks to Sky Sports. “It’s incredible. It’s ten million times better than I thought it would feel. I never wanted to say it, but it felt like it was meant to be. I’ve played so well so many times and come up just shy. For it to happen here, it just felt right. Billy Foster was massive, so calm the whole day. It means even more to him than to me, given he’s been around so long. I know it was eating away at him, and to get it done for myself but for him as well is great.”

Edited by Florentine_Pogen

1 minute ago, Day of the Lords said:

That was an absolutely magnificent final day to round off one of my favourite ever majors. It literally couldn't have gone better:

• Dramatic win when he looked like he'd fucked it on the last
  • Plays one of the greatest last hole bunker shots of all time (better than Sandy's imo)
  • Lee Westwood will probably bitter AF
  • I think the top 3 were all in my dream team

GLORIOUS

Yeah pretty much this.

Plus he did it to deny an American win at their self styled home of sport. 

I think 5 of the top 6 are in my fantasy team If I'm remembering rightly. 

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah pretty much this.

Plus he did it to deny an American win at their self styled home of sport. 

I think 5 of the top 6 are in my fantasy team If I'm remembering rightly. 

Zalatoris is one of the few American tour pros I can tolerate tbf. 

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

The Fitzpatricks seem like genuinely nice people

It'll be interesting to watch Alex's career. He's been one of the top ranked amateur players and turned pro pretty recently I think. He's been set a high bar now though. 

From The Guardian comments section :-

"Fitzpatrick just seems the most amazingly humble person. When he missed that birdie putt he had a 1 foot tap on for his par. He could have left that shot until after Zalatoris birdie attempt. Which meant he could have had that par putt to cheers from the crowd and really milked the moment.

Instead he just calmly walked up without a second thought and tapped it in. And left Zalatoris to have the glory if he got it in.

He's the sort of bloke I would want to have a drink with."

Just now, Florentine_Pogen said:

From The Guardian comments section :-

"Fitzpatrick just seems the most amazingly humble person. When he missed that birdie putt he had a 1 foot tap on for his par. He could have left that shot until after Zalatoris birdie attempt. Which meant he could have had that par putt to cheers from the crowd and really milked the moment.

Instead he just calmly walked up without a second thought and tapped it in. And left Zalatoris to have the glory if he got it in.

He's the sort of bloke I would want to have a drink with."

Great to see his celebrations as well - It's nice to see one of these guys genuinely love the moment and what it means. Scheffler would probably have punched the air once and made a boring speech about the lord guiding him, or something equally fucking tedious.