Golfers Thread

Gaz

15 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone on here use the TaylorMade hi-toe wedges? I’m looking for a 60 degree wedge and they seem to get the best reviews, although they are a bit pricey. The most lofted club in my bag is a 54 degree SW which came with my iron set, and I’m getting fed up playing chip shots that look brilliant in the air then land on the green with top spin and end up 30 feet away.  There’s a good chance that isn’t the clubs fault but I want to get a 60 degree just to confirm. 

My pre season treat to myself was a set of new Cleveland RTX Zipcore full face wedges. Got a 52, a 56 and a 60. Getting plenty of zip of pitches and chips with them, sometimes too much. Still getting used to them.

8 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I can really relate here watching all these 10-15 footers for pars and bogies.

Longest putt I've holed this year was a close to 40 footer for a bogey 6 the other week. Rory hacking out the rough was also a bit close to home. 😂

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

My pre season treat to myself was a set of new Cleveland RTX Zipcore full face wedges. Got a 52, a 56 and a 60. Getting plenty of zip of pitches and chips with them, sometimes too much. Still getting used to them.

I went ahead and bought the TaylorMade Hi-toe 60 degree a couple of hours ago, should be here Monday.  64481FCD-3E4B-4535-9C26-80C3D04BE855.thumb.jpeg.960a8d2b0bdea954e2f7d10228047194.jpeg

Its a great feeling when you get the ball to check on the green, I think I’ve done it once in my life :lol: 
I played a round with a boy who was a plus handicapper and he tried to give me a quick lesson in order to get the ball to check, mainly accelerate through the bottom of your arc and hit the ball before the turf. This TaylorMade hi-toe is supposed to allow more contact between the club face and ball in order to impart more spin so hopefully it makes a difference. 

32 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

I can really relate here watching all these 10-15 footers for pars and bogies.

Seen a guy on Twitter who’s one of the course reporters for American TV, saying he reckons a 10 handicapper would shoot about 200 round this course. 

46 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I went ahead and bought the TaylorMade Hi-toe 60 degree a couple of hours ago, should be here Monday.  64481FCD-3E4B-4535-9C26-80C3D04BE855.thumb.jpeg.960a8d2b0bdea954e2f7d10228047194.jpeg

Its a great feeling when you get the ball to check on the green, I think I’ve done it once in my life :lol: 
I played a round with a boy who was a plus handicapper and he tried to give me a quick lesson in order to get the ball to check, mainly accelerate through the bottom of your arc and hit the ball before the turf. This TaylorMade hi-toe is supposed to allow more contact between the club face and ball in order to impart more spin so hopefully it makes a difference. 

When the greens were soft early season I was hitting wedges into greens and getting backspin, a phenomenon unknown to me in 35 years of playing golf. Really fucked up my yardages. 😂

9 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

When the greens were soft early season I was hitting wedges into greens and getting backspin, a phenomenon unknown to me in 35 years of playing golf. Really fucked up my yardages. 😂

It really is an excellent sight to see, and I really hope that one day I will get to the level that I will be able to do it consistently. 

My work had an outing on the Monifeith medal course a few years back and one of the guys in the 4ball had been something crazy like +3 as a junior, although he was in his 30s at this point but still playing off close to scratch. He was back spinning 7 irons to 4 feet from the pin from 160 yards down the fairway. If I remember rightly the 18th is a straight par 5, and he played driver off the tee, driver off the deck into the bunker on the front right edge of the green, then chipped in from the bunker for an eagle. Definitely the best golfer I’ve ever played alongside, the noise of the ball off the club face was a joy to listen to. 

27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Brian Harman having a nightmare on (or should I say around) the 13th green. 

Might get worse for him as I can see a penalty shot incoming, definitely looks to be flattening the grass behind his ball when he was up against the collar of rough.

Edited by peasy23

17 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Did I hear he might be getting a penalty as well?

16 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Might get worse for him as I can see a penalty shot incoming, definitely looks to be flattening the grass behind his ball when he was up against the collar of rough.

Yeah I thought it looked a bit suspicious at the time. 

8 minutes ago, Ervin H Burrell said:

Some approach from Morikawa on the par5 there.

His putt was every bit as bad as his approach shot was good. 

Just heard a new "LIGHT THE CANDLE!!!!" shout, a nanosecond after a Morikawa tee shit

Heard that and became so irate that I immediately muted the telly for a couple of minutes.

Yank golf fans are such almighty fucking losers

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Longest putt I've holed this year was a close to 40 footer for a bogey 6 the other week. Rory hacking out the rough was also a bit close to home. 😂

I have become deadly from everywhere on what is now the most meaningless putt in the game - the putt for net double bogey