Golfers Thread

Gaz

40 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

The Saudi series logo that Kokrak had on his bag then disappeared from his bag is back at this week's pga event 

Disappointed in myself for having him in my fantasy team 

8 of us booked up for Vilamoura in September. 7 days and 5 rounds at 5 different ‘Dom Pedro’ courses, staying in the Hilton which I assume will be of a good standard. £999 per person for flights, hotel and green fees, which from all accounts will be worth every penny. Need to stop watching YouTube videos from the courses as I’m going to spend the next few months wishing my life away. 

6 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

8 of us booked up for Vilamoura in September. 7 days and 5 rounds at 5 different ‘Dom Pedro’ courses, staying in the Hilton which I assume will be of a good standard. £999 per person for flights, hotel and green fees, which from all accounts will be worth every penny. Need to stop watching YouTube videos from the courses as I’m going to spend the next few months wishing my life away. 

Great place highly recommend Roberto's bar of an evening just up from the marina

2 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Great place highly recommend Roberto's bar of an evening just up from the marina

Will keep that in mind. Have you played any of these Dom Pedro courses before? From what I can see online everyone of them looks immaculate. I noticed the ‘Dom Pedro Victoria’ course has hosted the Portuguese Masters on the European Tour, and it looks absolutely stunning. Lots of water hazards on it so I will remember to take a couple of dozen balls out that day. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Will keep that in mind. Have you played any of these Dom Pedro courses before? From what I can see online everyone of them looks immaculate. I noticed the ‘Dom Pedro Victoria’ course has hosted the Portuguese Masters on the European Tour, and it looks absolutely stunning. Lots of water hazards on it so I will remember to take a couple of dozen balls out that day. 

Been out there a dozen times and have played them all as in a lucky position that a friends mum lives there so we get "locals" rates .You will find theres  loads of locals that pop up at various holes on every course selling lost balls so if you run short no need to pay clubhouse prices and because it's a golfers mecca it ain't crap you get from them.The resteraunt besides the steps (obvious when there) does the best mixed grill 😂

10 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Been out there a dozen times and have played them all as in a lucky position that a friends mum lives there so we get "locals" rates .You will find theres  loads of locals that pop up at various holes on every course selling lost balls so if you run short no need to pay clubhouse prices and because it's a golfers mecca it ain't crap you get from them.The resteraunt besides the steps (obvious when there) does the best mixed grill 😂

Wow very lucky. It came highly recommended by a few acquaintances of ours and we enquired through a website that was advertising the full package for £1199 per person but my friend got them down to a grand each for 8 of us. Considering you can pay 4/500 quid for a weekend away within the UK to play a couple of good courses, it’s good value for a weeks holiday and 5 rounds of golf.

I’ve never been golfing abroad before, is it just a case of buying a travel case for the clubs and turning up at the airport? 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Wow very lucky. It came highly recommended by a few acquaintances of ours and we enquired through a website that was advertising the full package for £1199 per person but my friend got them down to a grand each for 8 of us. Considering you can pay 4/500 quid for a weekend away within the UK to play a couple of good courses, it’s good value for a weeks holiday and 5 rounds of golf.

I’ve never been golfing abroad before, is it just a case of buying a travel case for the clubs and turning up at the airport? 

Yes, suitcases usually go in at check in and clubs to the oversize desk dependant on who you are flying with.

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Does your booking include the luggage costs for your clubs? If so then yes and what I do is stuff all my clothes in there aswell I also put some golf towels in between my clubs and put the rain cover on aswell to stuff it out so the clubs can't clatter about in transit and I've never experienced any damage and we use the Ryanair direct to Faro from edinburgh flight

4 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Does your booking include the luggage costs for your clubs? If so then yes and what I do is stuff all my clothes in there aswell I also put some golf towels in between my clubs and put the rain cover on aswell to stuff it out so the clubs can't clatter about in transit and I've never experienced any damage and we use the Ryanair direct to Faro from edinburgh flight

Yep it’s Ryanair to Faro we are on too. I don’t know if the luggage is prepaid or not I will need to find that out. How big are these travel cases, will I fit 7 days worth of clothes in alongside my clubs? :lol: 

5 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Yep it’s Ryanair to Faro we are on too. I don’t know if the luggage is prepaid or not I will need to find that out. How big are these travel cases, will I fit 7 days worth of clothes in alongside my clubs? :lol: 

Done that flight many a time from Prestwick, usually manage toiletries and most of my clothes in beside the clubs. I have a soft travel case so packing as much up top protects the driver.

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Plenty I can get 2 weeks worth of gear in to mine..won't need trousers only shorts and use the roll up method for your tshirts 😉

9 minutes ago, kilMARKnock said:

Done that flight many a time from Prestwick, usually manage toiletries and most of my clothes in beside the clubs. I have a soft travel case so packing as much up top protects the driver.

Good shout. Have heard a couple of stories with guys taking their clubs abroad and finding some of them damaged when they got there. 

Spotted a case on American Golf from a brand called Big Max, has wheels attached and looks a good size for £79.99. It’s not a hard shell though just fabric. I was expecting the cases to be more expensive than that. 

7 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Good shout. Have heard a couple of stories with guys taking their clubs abroad and finding some of them damaged when they got there. 

Spotted a case on American Golf from a brand called Big Max, has wheels attached and looks a good size for £79.99. It’s not a hard shell though just fabric. I was expecting the cases to be more expensive than that. 

I've got an earlier edition of this

MacGregor Golf MACTC003SD MACTEC Deluxe Wheeled Golf Travel Cover Bag https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0128DE8JU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ZZNEJ1TMQ6NRZCXAA10Z

46 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Big Max stuff is decent.

My actual bag is one of their waterproof hybrid stand/cart bags. It's absolutely tremendous