Golfers Thread

Gaz

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Another 67 for Bob to sit at -8 which is currently tied for 12th.

Great effort in this quality of field. 

I’m not too clued up on the ins and outs of how players gain entry to certain tournaments etc., but I didn’t expect to see Boab playing on any of the ‘standard’ PGA Tour events this year. Was surprised and also pleased to see him so high on the leaderboard, if he could gain a bit of consistency he could be a real force in the game. Does a good finish at this tournament do anything for his chances of getting his card? I know he will be playing at The Masters, but what about the Players and the PGA, does he need to qualify? 

Dustin Johnson has been the highest ranked player whose name has been regularly linked to the Saudi tour. He has come out today and pledged his allegiance to the PGA Tour.

It would be glorious if players had conned Bryson into thinking that they were all ready to jump ship and he is the only big name to go. [emoji23]

I’m not too clued up on the ins and outs of how players gain entry to certain tournaments etc., but I didn’t expect to see Boab playing on any of the ‘standard’ PGA Tour events this year. Was surprised and also pleased to see him so high on the leaderboard, if he could gain a bit of consistency he could be a real force in the game. Does a good finish at this tournament do anything for his chances of getting his card? I know he will be playing at The Masters, but what about the Players and the PGA, does he need to qualify? 
He is on a sponsor's invite this week. At present the only majors he has qualified for are the Masters and The Open. Generally the PGA invite anyone in the top 100 of the OWGR who haven't qualified by other means so he should be ok for that. US Open he will get in as long as he is in the top 60 on the OWGR two weeks before or on the week the tourney is due to be played. That's provided he doesn't qualify by other means for that either.

17 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

4 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

He is on a sponsor's invite this week. At present the only majors he has qualified for are the Masters and The Open. Generally the PGA invite anyone in the top 100 of the OWGR who haven't qualified by other means so he should be ok for that. US Open he will get in as long as he is in the top 60 on the OWGR two weeks before or on the week the tourney is due to be played. That's provided he doesn't qualify by other means for that either.

I missed the full commentary but Ewan Murray/radar  were saying Last night he has also already got invites to the Florida swing and also Jacks tourney..it sounded like he was staying the Us for a while 

Edited by doulikefish

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

I see. I assumed it was going to be a sponsors invite but I also thought that he may have concentrated on the European Tour this year, The Masters excepted, in order to stop him jumping around from time zone to time zone. Fair play if he’s performing this week though, but he’s going to need to readjust if he doesn’t get a sponsors invite for the next PGA event. 

Edit - I see Doulikefish has confirmed he is staying for this swing. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Phil Mickelson is reportedly away to get suspended by the PGA Tour for his rather bizarre comments during the week 

Been a bizarre week off the course over there it looks like they have hung Bryson and Phil out with Brooks being the leader of the not rebel alliance with Rory as one of his generals 

Been a bizarre week off the course over there it looks like they have hung Bryson and Phil out with Brooks being the leader of the not rebel alliance with Rory as one of his generals 
Nothing more bizarre than the PGA Tour tweeting all the stuff about the shirtless celebrations on the 16th last week, and now apparently are going to fine the players involved

Nothing more bizarre than the PGA Tour tweeting all the stuff about the shirtless celebrations on the 16th last week, and now apparently are going to fine the players involved
Absolutely ridiculous. The PGA were milking the scenes from the 16th last week.

Was having a look about this Saudi Golf league thing having seen a few statements about players pulling out.

Came across this dreadful statement from Michelson.

Regardless of all the issues with the Saudi regime and controversy he still wants to get involved. 

Seems money overcomes morality here.

And then has a go at the PGA.

Hopefully this league fails or is cancelled. 

20220220_200911.jpg

Been watching Bob in the featured group on hesgoal along with Rory. He had a birdie putt horseshoe out on 11 which alomost came back to his feet, then birdied 12 to go to 9 under. Been a struggle since though, had a great par save on 13, but dropped shots on 14 and 15 to drop back to -7. Niemann is leading by a distance now.

Bob has  a birdie chance on the par 3 16th.

1 hour ago, CaspianChris said:

Was having a look about this Saudi Golf league thing having seen a few statements about players pulling out.

Came across this dreadful statement from Michelson.

Regardless of all the issues with the Saudi regime and controversy he still wants to get involved. 

Seems money overcomes morality here.

And then has a go at the PGA.

Hopefully this league fails or is cancelled. 

20220220_200911.jpg

Releasing this has been the thing that seems to have made a lot of the pros distance themself from the Saudi league. Wonder how fuckers like Charley Hoffman can dig themselves out the hole that they had dug themselves into?

Edited by peasy23

Bob missed the fairway on the par 5 17th, lays up then stiffs wedge to 3 feet. Rolls in the birdie to get back to -8.

Rory found the green in two but was 70 feet away. Gets his birdie with 2 putts, his birdie putt was a fraction longer than Bob's.

For a top tier player, Rory's short irons are sometimes awful. He had the shortest approach shot in to the 18th of all 3 players, but ended up furthest away by a distance.

Bob shaves the hole with his birdie attempt and taps in for a closing 71. To not play a round over par on your debut at Riviera is very good going.