Jump to content

Golfers Thread


Gaz

Recommended Posts

Went to the range for the 1st time in ages on Friday to try and find something else with the driver. Hit it well. 

Playing in a Russian Stableford today. Out in 48 back in 39 in episode no. 1467 of What a Stupid Fucking Game This Is.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Would anyone be interested in "P&B's Top Courses" type thread?

I will contribute to this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Played today as part one of a planned 3 day stretch. Managed to badly twist my knee slipping on a hill and now almost certainly out the other 2 days. Absolutely gutted. Golf game was getting to a point where it felt good and this happens. Just gutted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Netan Sansara said:

Played today as part one of a planned 3 day stretch. Managed to badly twist my knee slipping on a hill and now almost certainly out the other 2 days. Absolutely gutted. Golf game was getting to a point where it felt good and this happens. Just gutted. 

Sorry to hear that mate. Rest up 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Rory wins, needed a par on the last, played the par 5 very safely and got his 5 easily. Wins by one from Morikawa.

Fair play to Rory, it's good to see him finding a bit of form, but I'm not going to miss the opportunity for a cheap dig here. 

"I'm fed up shooting 15 under and finishing tied 26th". 

For information, 15 under was good enough for a share of 38th at the CJ Cup. 

Ironic on the week that the European Tour played on probably the toughest course on the schedule. With this new 'partnership' with the US Tour, they really need to be looking at getting some top class fields playing Valderramma. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Fair play to Rory, it's good to see him finding a bit of form, but I'm not going to miss the opportunity for a cheap dig here. 

"I'm fed up shooting 15 under and finishing tied 26th". 

For information, 15 under was good enough for a share of 38th at the CJ Cup. 

Ironic on the week that the European Tour played on probably the toughest course on the schedule. With this new 'partnership' with the US Tour, they really need to be looking at getting some top class fields playing Valderramma. 

Everyone finished under par, bar two players. Charl Schwartzel somehow contrived to shoot +7. I can only assume he thought it was a 2 clubs and a putter medal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully the penny has finally dropped for Rory that he doesn't need to be the longest driver on Tour for him to win. Given how average his wedge play is in general, it's a wee bit of a surprise to see him tear it up at a course that is reduced to a drive and a wedge on most of the holes. He putted superbly over the weekend.

The contrast between the two courses this weekend couldn't have been starker. Valderramma is one of the most punishing on the circuit if you stray off the fairways, quite often being 10-15 yards off the fairway leaves you with no shot because of the trees, several holes at The Summit you had a better chance of having a shot the further off line you went.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

Got an email saying I was successful in the ballot for  tickets for next year's open 

I applied also but not had anything yet. It sounds like they'll be contacting the successful entrants over a period of time though so all is not lost yet.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Hopefully the penny has finally dropped for Rory that he doesn't need to be the longest driver on Tour for him to win. Given how average his wedge play is in general, it's a wee bit of a surprise to see him tear it up at a course that is reduced to a drive and a wedge on most of the holes. He putted superbly over the weekend.

The contrast between the two courses this weekend couldn't have been starker. Valderramma is one of the most punishing on the circuit if you stray off the fairways, quite often being 10-15 yards off the fairway leaves you with no shot because of the trees, several holes at The Summit you had a better chance of having a shot the further off line you went.

His post tournament comments suggest that it might have, but he'll need to build on this and back it up.

I only watched the Sunday play at Valderramma and what struck me was the speed of the greens. If you missed the green, three to get up and down was the norm, and if you left yourself in the wrong spot on the green, you'd be lucky to get your approach putt within 6 feet. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

His post tournament comments suggest that it might have, but he'll need to build on this and back it up.
I only watched the Sunday play at Valderramma and what struck me was the speed of the greens. If you missed the green, three to get up and down was the norm, and if you left yourself in the wrong spot on the green, you'd be lucky to get your approach putt within 6 feet. 
They said on Thursday that they were running something like 12.5 or 13 on the stimp, that's akin to Augusta speeds. Seen quite a few players with downhill putts that they just tickled but still ran it yards past, that's clown course territory.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I applied also but not had anything yet. It sounds like they'll be contacting the successful entrants over a period of time though so all is not lost yet.

Thing is the club I'm a member of stewards a hole for all comps at St Andrews (12th) and I did That the last open there. So Ive already bought the tickets I applied for but if I get to steward again I'll be flogging them as stewarding is a good laugh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Thing is the club I'm a member of stewards a hole for all comps at St Andrews (12th) and I did That the last open there. So Ive already bought the tickets I applied for but if I get to steward again I'll be flogging them as stewarding is a good laugh 

Dibs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was away to Spain over the October holidays and played at a club nearby that I've played quite a few times, La Estancia.  After 30+ years of golfing, I got my first ever eagle at the par 5 13th. Hit a decent 3 wood up the left hand side that was in the rough but sitting up nicely and caught another 3 wood perfectly that rolled up to 4 feet and knocked in the putt.  Was practically cartwheeling off the green.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...