Golfers Thread

Gaz

Comfortable win for Danny Willett who ended up winning by 2 and could par his way in after a birdie on 10.

Disappointing finish for Ewen Ferguson who hit a closing 72 with a 5-5 finish to end up tied 17th alongside Richie Ramsay and Calum Hill.

A third straight missed cut for Craig Howie on the Challenge Tour sees him drop out of the top 15 in the rankings. Needs to find some form again and quickly.

** Fantasy Golf Week 38 **

IMG_20211005_192222.thumb.jpg.4c844515221e3d50a0caa93153220fc9.jpg

Big game hunter

The Fantasy League is back after a rather traumatic experience at Whistling Straits. Danny Willett can now add The Old Course and Carnoustie to Wentworth and Augusta National in the list of places he's won at. Truly a box office player for a big occasion. His form leading into this was missed cut, missed cut, 71st, missed cut, which just goes to prove once more what a silly game this is.

Sam Burns won the Sanderson Farms Championship to break into the OWGR top 20 and gets a pretty chicken trophy and idk, a lifetime's supply of eggs ?

NBCS_GOLF_GC_Burns_SandersonFarmsChampDiscussion_100321_1920x1080.jpg.e2a304da5af62add676c39706ab99c6f.jpg

Overall Standings 

We've got roughly 8 or 9 weeks left of this, so someone needs to start putting a run together.

2144 @die hard doonhamer

1872 @lichtie23

1841 @Ro Sham Bo

1788 @Tartan Dave

1774 @peasy23

1606 @J_Stewart

1539 @alta-pete

1517 @Honest_Man#1

1517 @Namond Brice

1487 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1277 @Distant Doonhamer

club-de-campo-villa-de-madrid-negro_f0d80a85-dfd7-45bb-97bd-90d87b48c072.jpg.c9c7ed7ffe7cdc6751edc862b2dd357b.jpg

The European Tour is off on a 3 week Spanish swing, starting with the Open de Espaňa at Club de Campo Villa de Madrid. Everyone else looks like they're playing for 2nd place as Big John Rahm goes off at just over 2/1. The shortest price for a golfer since the Tiger was in his pomp.

15.jpg.c04e9d156ebf2268e9e9fe6ec470577c.jpg

Over in the US, we have the Shriner's Hospitals for Children Open played at TPC Summerlin, a par 71 desert track at high altitude which will be an absolute birdie fest. The winner was 21 under and a pair of 68's wasn't even good enough to play the weekend last year. A decent field here including a couple of US Ryder Cup winners. They say they're here for the kids hospitals, but they're actually here to stick a fortune on John Rahm winning in Spain. We're in Vegas baby.

las-vegas-sign-at-dusk.thumb.jpg.a1f9b4b88c38a9a5e139d2a5bb980f75.jpg

As we enter the final month of the season in Scotland/UK I’m just wondering what everyone’s handicap was at the start of the season and what it is now?

I started at 14.1 and am now down to 11. Hopefully get 3-4 rounds in, all are “free hits” so could even improve that by November 1st. Next season my aim is to get to single figures.

The Bryson/Brooks match would at least be tolerable if there was something meaningful on the line.

If Bryson wins, Brooks has to wear one of his flat caps for a year. If Brooks wins, Bryson has to get the coronavirus vaccine on the 18th green.

5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

As we enter the final month of the season in Scotland/UK I’m just wondering what everyone’s handicap was at the start of the season and what it is now?

I started at 14.1 and am now down to 11. Hopefully get 3-4 rounds in, all are “free hits” so could even improve that by November 1st. Next season my aim is to get to single figures.

I've went from 10.8 to 15.4 since February.

All pretty much down to losing the ability to drive the ball, playing 3 off the tee doesn't do much for your card tbf. I need a new driver and time on the range this winter.

1 minute ago, Namond Brice said:

I've went from 10.8 to 15.4 since February.

All pretty much down to losing the ability to drive the ball, playing 3 off the tee doesn't do much for your card tbf. I need a new driver and time on the range this winter.

Im guessing that under the old handicap system you wouldn’t have jumped that much. Unless every game you’ve played since February was a shocker. 

23 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv gone from 26.4 down to 19.8 so all in all I'm delighted. Mostly down to a chipping lesson but I also got a new set of clubs. My goal for this year was to get below 20, next year the goal is to get to 15! 

4 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Im guessing that under the old handicap system you wouldn’t have jumped that much. Unless every game you’ve played since February was a shocker. 

I genuinely just think I'm losing too many shots off the tee. 

I could always back myself to shoot 85 or less on a normal day and feel if I played well and holed a couple I would give myself a chance of breaking 80.

Last 20 rounds I have 3 83's and 2 85's. The rest are over 85.

20 minutes ago, Albertlegend said:

Iv gone from 26.4 down to 19.8 so all in all I'm delighted. Mostly down to a chipping lesson but I also got a new set of clubs. My goal for this year was to get below 20, next year the goal is to get to 15! 

Well done mate. Great effort 

Started on 6.0, went up to 7.8 early in the season, hit some consistent form over summer and got myself down to 5.6 in early August, before drifting back up to 6.0.

My season finished towards the end of August and I won't be able to pick up a club until around Xmas, which will be the longest I've ever gone without a game. And, yes, it sucks - I had high hopes of getting down towards 5.0 before winter.

42 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

Started on 6.0, went up to 7.8 early in the season, hit some consistent form over summer and got myself down to 5.6 in early August, before drifting back up to 6.0.

My season finished towards the end of August and I won't be able to pick up a club until around Xmas, which will be the longest I've ever gone without a game. And, yes, it sucks - I had high hopes of getting down towards 5.0 before winter.

Injury?

13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Not bothered with a handicap yet as I was late into it this year and wanted to spend time getting back into it after around 15 years away from it. My first round back I shot 112, on Tuesday there I shot 88, which is probably the best round I've played. Will get a handicap sorted next year but I'm pleased with my progress so far.