Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played my first round of golf in a year with a visit to Kilbirnie and then Beith in the afternoon. The lessons I've been taking seem to be bearing fruit as my driving was a lot more consistent with far fewer drives going wide right. Hit an absolute beauty at Kilbirnie on hole 15 (a 300 odd yard par four) where I actually managed to drive the green in one shot and set myself up for an eagle. Sadly I missed but I ended up bagging my first birdie which I was delighted with. Followed that up with another birdie at Beith and whilst there were a few horror holes over the two rounds there was a lot more consistency to my play. Needless to say I am pretty delighted! 

Edited by RiG

David Law was best placed Scot in Northern Ireland at the weekend with a tied 14th finish. That moved him up to 127th on the Race to Dubai, which is last place at the moment for keeping his card for next year. On to the Hero Open at Fairmont St Andrews this weekend, hopefully some of the Scots can put on a decent performance at home.Screenshot_20210802-221347_Chrome.jpg

18 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Huge news for the Scottish Open as it will be a PGA Tour event from next year.

https://bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/scottish-open-to-become-pga-tour-event-and-get-new-sponsor

That's great news but I really hope they move it to a better course.  The Renaissance (or is it called Archerfield) looks very unexciting on TV.....there must be twenty or so better links courses in Scotland that could host a big tournament.

That's great news but I really hope they move it to a better course.  The Renaissance (or is it called Archerfield) looks very unexciting on TV.....there must be twenty or so better links courses in Scotland that could host a big tournament.

I'll be surprised if somewhere like Dumbarnie doesn't throw everything at trying to get it, but I think the Renaissance has another year to go.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I missed the shortest putt of my golfing career last Sunday in a medal.  I would say it was about 2"....I actually hit the ball (one handed tap in) and it went nearer the hole but I holed my next 1" putt.....phew

1 minute ago, Caledonian1 said:

I missed the shortest putt of my golfing career last Sunday in a medal.  I would say it was about 2"....I actually hit the ball (one handed tap in) and it went nearer the hole but I holed my next 1" putt.....phew

I took the flag out to putt out on 18 for the first time in far too long the other day.

Beautifully stroked 5 foot putt hit the top of the cup and bounced back out

20 hours ago, peasy23 said:
On 04/08/2021 at 08:57, Caledonian1 said:

I'll be surprised if somewhere like Dumbarnie doesn't throw everything at trying to get it, but I think the Renaissance has another year to go.

Speaking to the starter at Dumbarnie he said they’re looking at Walker Cup and some smaller tournaments first, then Scottish Open with ultimate aim being The Open. Said the process takes roughly 30-40 years for a new course to get on the rota though so not anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Speaking to the starter at Dumbarnie he said they’re looking at Walker Cup and some smaller tournaments first, then Scottish Open with ultimate aim being The Open. Said the process takes roughly 30-40 years for a new course to get on the rota though so not anytime soon.

You can see from places like the Renaissance, and even Kingsbarns to an extent, that it takes a little bit for the newer links courses to bed in anyway. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Dumbarnie hosting big events further down the line, although the accommodation/specator links might need some further work

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

You can see from places like the Renaissance, and even Kingsbarns to an extent, that it takes a little bit for the newer links courses to bed in anyway. Definitely wouldn't be surprised to see Dumbarnie hosting big events further down the line, although the accommodation/specator links might need some further work

I live about half n hour from St Andrews and the last 2 opens I've had a flyer through my door offering to rent my house for the week it's utterly staggering the "circus" that follows a sporting event like the open.

Anyway it's always good to see the pros play at the Fairmont as I've played there many a time and it shows how much better they are than the average punter

But I have drove the short par 4 7th many a time 🤣

2 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

I live about half n hour from St Andrews and the last 2 opens I've had a flyer through my door offering to rent my house for the week it's utterly staggering the "circus" that follows a sporting event like the open.

Anyway it's always good to see the pros play at the Fairmont as I've played there many a time and it shows how much better they are than the average punter

But I have drove the short par 4 7th many a time 🤣

You could probably afford to join the R&A if you rent it out for next year's Open

7 hours ago, doulikefish said:

I know a guy who lives in Carnoustie who rented his house out for the last open there. Him and his family fucked off on a luxury holiday for the week and they still made an absolute mint. I’m pretty sure it was one of the big sponsors who rented it.