Golfers Thread

Gaz

Glad this thread's still on the go :)

I've been going to the Driving Range once or twice a week since and getting pretty good at it.

Most of the shots I've been hitting (like, upwards of 80%) are going where I want them. I'm not hitting them for miles but I'm more concerned about accuracy rather than power.

I'm well aware that this is on a pristine bit of fieldturf, though :lol::ph34r:

I think I'm going for nine holes on Saturday morning so undoubtedly I shall do rubbish.

• 2 months later...

My subs are due next month, will come to £1,100 this year.

This is my last year under 30 years old, next year it will be up to about £1,500.

I'll be playing about 130 games this season, plus away matches for the first team and county events, so it's well worth it.

My subs are due next month, will come to £1,100 this year.

This is my last year under 30 years old, next year it will be up to about £1,500.

I'll be playing about 130 games this season, plus away matches for the first team and county events, so it's well worth it.

:o Jesus Christ!

I let my golf membership lapse about three or four years ago because I wasn't using it enough and it wasn't value for money. I was only playing 2 or 3 times a year but my course cost me £250 per annum when I was a member (granted it's probably up a bit now). It's a fairly low grade course but most of the clubs round here are about that. Southerness is a championship course and only charges about £300 a year for membership.

Guest The Phoenix

Just forked out over £500 to renew.

Probably not going to get great value on a per round basis unless I cut down my refereeing commitments, cut back on working when I could be golfing and generally pull my finger out of my lazy ass.

£470 for mine and I have only got £200 saved up I am considering giving it a by this year due to crap weather last year no doubt I will end up renewing.

Edited by seamus

My dad's doing mine, Strathpeffer is about £180 as I'm a tax dodging scumbag and double that for the tax payers.

I can't wait to get back into it, I was playing to 6 at the end of the season last year (off 11) but the CSS is -2 so it's hard to get cut.

My main problem with golf is that I don't have the head for it. My best round last year, I was 3 over to the 15th, before the demons caught up with me and I finished bogey bogey bogey. My old man can start with a triple bogey and still beat his handicap, I lose the plot.

I started playing when I was around 11.

I used to go to the shitey Council courses in the East End with my Uncle and my Dad. I was never very good, But I love playing. It's very soothing.

I got a new set of clubs for my 16th birthday ( I had been using battered old clubs my Uncle bought in some car boot sale ).

I've used the clubs under 10 times... I haven't played in 5 years either. I really want to get back into it, But I think the fact that the clubs are buried somewhere in the loft is putting me off.

My dad's doing mine, Strathpeffer is about £180 as I'm a tax dodging scumbag and double that for the tax payers.

I can't wait to get back into it, I was playing to 6 at the end of the season last year (off 11) but the CSS is -2 so it's hard to get cut.

My main problem with golf is that I don't have the head for it. My best round last year, I was 3 over to the 15th, before the demons caught up with me and I finished bogey bogey bogey. My old man can start with a triple bogey and still beat his handicap, I lose the plot.

Same :lol: Golf's an expensive game when i play it, need at least a club(or my bag in last year's case) replaced each year due to me losing the plot :o and then when i'm playing well i get far too competitive and if i'm say 1 up in the club matchplay or that with like 4 holes to go i just stop talking to the guy i'm against- even if he's my mate- bad way to play but i'm usually pretty successful within the club each year so it has it's good sides.

Renewing mine before the end of March for Loch Ness Golf Club (Fairways to the locals). Thanks to the introduction of a new 18-23 age category my subs this year are only £250 rather than £400. :D

Think I'll be replacing almost all of my clubs this year except my Driver. Big Bertha Fairway woods 3 & 5, New Mizuno MX-200 3-PW irons, Mizuno MX sand wedge, Mizuno MX lob wedge and the White Hot Sabertooth XG putter.

Will be an awesome set of clubs! :D

• 1 month later...

Have been hitting the driving range recently and not doing too bad, although my short game (as always) needs work. I haven't played a round for years but I think I am more mature now and would probably enjoy it more than when I was younger and getting frustrated all the time.

Does anyone know of any decent cheap-ish golf clubs in the Edinburgh area that would be suitable for relative novices?

My golfing 'skills' are truly appalling. I'm all right with the theory - the physics and the technique of the game - but in practise the ball just won't go in a sensible direction.

The highlight of my calamity filled, and disastrous (not to mention short lived) golfing career really came when I almost decked myself with my own golf ball - truly a sad day for the sport; although, on the plus side I soon retired.

Got my membership for free, happy days, apparently it's because I'm good.

I thought it was because you are a pretentious p***k who never stops talking about how good you are?

• 1 year later...

Me and my fiancee's brother are looking to take up golf this year. We went to the driving range on saturday and hit 100 balls, i hit about 80 of them decently, a few fresh air swipes also :ph34r:

We're just thinking of getting a cheap hundred quid set to begin with or should we go for something a bit better?

Me and my fiancee's brother are looking to take up golf this year. We went to the driving range on saturday and hit 100 balls, i hit about 80 of them decently, a few fresh air swipes also :ph34r:

We're just thinking of getting a cheap hundred quid set to begin with or should we go for something a bit better?

Unless you are hitting a lot of short chip shots I wouldn't ever go and hit 100 full shots on the bounce at the driving range as a beginner.

50 is the most I ever hit (unless the aforementioned chipping conditions apply)

If you are a complete beginner go for a cheap set of clubs including bag and putter etc. The quality of these sets are not the greatest but if you are testing the water to see if you like it, it would be rather expensive to buy decent equipment at this stage.

The beauty of golf is equipment is always wanted by someone else, so if you do progress your cheap set will sell in the club or on eBay.

Good luck with it, golf is the dugs boz.

Got my membership for free, happy days, apparently it's because I'm good.

I dont beleive this for a minute no course would do this.Therse a guy at our course who plays off +3 which means that he has to shoot 3 under all the time to remain level par.

He pays his fees the same as anyone else.

Edited by seamus

I dont beleive this for a minute no course would do this.Therse a guy at our course who plays off -3 which means that he has to shoot 3 under all the time to remain level par.

He pays his fees the same as anyone else.

I take it you mean +3?

The free membership thing is pish unless he has been a member for 50 odd years, has won the championship 30 times and laid the greens himself.