Golfers Thread

Gaz

6 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Robert MacIntyre now the only Scot in the top 100 on the OWGR as Martin Laird slips to 101st. Since winning the Shriner's last autumn he has missed 6 cuts, made 7, and one 17th place is his best finish.

MacIntyre and Laird the only Scots in the field for this weeks PGA Championship.

Kiawah Island Field

52 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Robert MacIntyre now the only Scot in the top 100 on the OWGR as Martin Laird slips to 101st. Since winning the Shriner's last autumn he has missed 6 cuts, made 7, and one 17th place is his best finish.

I'm probably putting the hex on Calum Hill here, but I don't think it will be too long before MacIntyre and Hill are established as the 2 leading Scottish golfers.

And rangefinders can be used this week in an effort to speed up play 
It should, but they won't. It will just be an extra measurement they will use, they will still be pacing out yardages.

Green books should be piled in a heap and burned.

5 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

whats the condition of everyones local course...i play up at piperdam just outside dundee and the greens are fucking awful for this time of year...that snow and ice a few months ago has fucked them up bigtime.

Kingennie is in decent Nick. Bunkers need some with tho 

Just now, Meeniedee said:

whats the condition of everyones local course...i play up at piperdam just outside dundee and the greens are fucking awful for this time of year...that snow and ice a few months ago has fucked them up bigtime.

Ladybank's are rolling pretty well, albeit a bit slower than normal as the greenkeeper can't cut them as tight as usual. Tulliallan's are decent, good covering of grass, probably just about normal for the time of year, maybe a week or 2 behind (they're never off main greens so being shut for January maybe gave them a bit of a rest?).

Played at Aberdour in a team match last week, and their greens were absolutely bowfin'. Our opponents were apologising for them before we teed off, but nothing could prepare us for how bad they were. Shame, as Aberdour is normally in decent nick.

Just now, lichtie23 said:

Kingennie is in decent Nick. Bunkers need some with tho 

I heard at the weekend that Balbirnie have broken ranks and have returned rakes to the course for general usage (although players have to use a towel/glove to handle them...). No doubt someone will have reported them to Scottish Golf by now... 😒

1 hour ago, Meeniedee said:

I'm down at Largs and our Greens are superb although we seem to be a few weeks ahead of other local courses in terms of growth. The whole course is actually pretty close to Summer standard but it has come on a lot in the past couple of weeks.

6 minutes ago, funky_nomad said:

I heard at the weekend that Balbirnie have broken ranks and have returned rakes to the course for general usage (although players have to use a towel/glove to handle them...). No doubt someone will have reported them to Scottish Golf by now... 😒

I yearn for the day when we can take the bloody flag out of the hole again to putt !!!

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

I yearn for the day when we can take the bloody flag out of the hole again to putt !!!

indeed im not the best putter in the world but having the flag in makes the hole seem a lot bloody smaller.

1 minute ago, Meeniedee said:

indeed im not the best putter in the world but having the flag in makes the hole seem a lot bloody smaller.

Agreed, I seem to have some mental block from about 8ft in where I try and pick a side between the pin and the hole and as you say, the hole is small enough without reducing it by 50% !!

4 minutes ago, Meeniedee said:

Iv been taking them out. Probably irresponsible but as you’ve said it makes the hole look bigger. 

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Agreed, I seem to have some mental block from about 8ft in where I try and pick a side between the pin and the hole and as you say, the hole is small enough without reducing it by 50% !!

yup im the same...seem to find myself looking at the sides of the hole rather than the middle...another gripe of mine is you hit a good putt dead center of the hole it hits the pin and stays out...pisses me off that does.

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv been taking them out. Probably irresponsible but as you’ve said it makes the hole look bigger. 

boys on our course have started doing it aswell....what i find amusing is you cant touch a flag or rake a bunker but its ok for 100s of boys to touch the combination lock to get into the trolley shed