Golfers Thread

Gaz

**Fantasy Golf Week 15**

Eh1mEDWXYAE-Eii.jpg.53f22b92735718e8b6bb4be71e802450.jpg

that cinking feeling

Old man Cink won the Heritage, 21 years after his first win at Harbour Town. His bright shiny dome now becomes the honorary lighthouse for the year, a beacon of hope for old ships/golfers in distress, until he defends his title next April. Quite a few of the top finishers are not fantasy leagers, including Cink, although DJ managed a top 20 place and his first points since the middle of February.

Elsewhere, John Catlin won in Austria after what seemed like a never ending play off with Max Kieffer. They played the par 18th 5 times before Kieffer went all tin cup and dumped 4 in the water. Martin Kaymer came 3rd.

Roughly a third of the way through the competition now, and this is how we're looking.

Overall standings 

815 @J_Stewart

770 @die hard doonhamer

730 @alta-pete

726 @Tartan Dave

721 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

677 @peasy23

674 @Ro Sham Bo

629 @lichtie23

610 @Henderson to deliver .....

556 @Distant Doonhamer

451 @Honest_Man#1

The Race to Whistling Straits 

192 @peasy23

160 @Distant Doonhamer

144 @Ro Sham Bo

144 @J_Stewart

140 @Tartan Dave

128 @die hard doonhamer

100 @alta-pete

88 @lichtie23

56 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

52 @Henderson to deliver .....

48 @Honest_Man#1

GettyImages-1313439003-630x354.jpg.4f3ccd9b0cafb26c80be99e5de689bf4.jpg

Onwards we go. Bit of a quiet week as we start gearing up for the next big one, the USPGA Championship in 4 weeks time. The European tour is sunning itself in Gran Canaria at Meloranis, an absolute birdie fest of a course which may see someone breaking 60 this week.

We may as well rename it the Pete Dye Tour as we are yet again at another of his designs this week on the PGA, TPC Louisiana just outside New Orleans for the Zurich Classic. Built in the middle of the swamp/bayou, it's not one of his best designs, but still classical Dye, sand, water etc, you know the drill by now. This of course is a 2 man team event, rounds 1+3 are better ball and 2+4 alternate shot. Fantasy points scored as normal here.

hole18.jpg.a562209abb7105b9ab9f3c494b6373ae.jpg

41 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
12 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
Do they choose partners or do the pairs get picked at random?

They choose afaik, one player in each team qualifies by rank, and the other has to be a PGA Tour member or have a sponsors invite.

Last year Ryan Palmer didn’t have a card and his caddy arranged for him to play with John Rahm. They ended up winning it and Palmer got a 2 year card 

24 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

An ace for G Mac earlier in New Orleans, Knox and his partner miss the cut with shots to spare, while Laird's pairing are one outside the line just now with 3 to play.

Knox not helped by Stuard dumping it in the water on 4 separate occasions in the first two rounds. Not such a big issue twice in the better ball format in round one but a real killer today in the foursomes where it led to two double bogeys on par 3s. Four shots cost and currently 3 or maybe 4 shots out of the cut line. 

Edit to add Laird and Taylor now finished on 5 under and currently tied 34th. The cut is 33rd and ties so they may well still make it through.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Knox not helped by Stuard dumping it in the water on 4 separate occasions in the first two rounds. Not such a big issue twice in the better ball format in round one but a real killer today in the foursomes where it led to two double bogeys on par 3s. Four shots cost and currently 3 or maybe 4 shots out of the cut line. 
Edit to add Laird and Taylor now finished on 5 under and currently tied 34th. The cut is 33rd and ties so they may well still make it through.
They are now T33rd and no doubt sweating bullets.

Played Trump for the first time this morning. He might be the biggest helmet on the planet, but by Christ has Donnie put his name to a good golf course. So tight and so tough, but so, so good. Was glorious sunshine and flat calm today and still very difficult, dread to think what it’d be like in the wind and rain.

IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8759.jpg
IMG_8761.jpg
IMG_8763.jpg
IMG_8767.jpg

Played the Darley course at Troon this morning, excellent day for it and the course is in really good condition for being council run. Greens were a bit fluffy in places and the place was heaving which left you standing about on the tee, but apart from that it’s excellent value for £25. 

Me and my friend play for a fiver a hole and he was 5 up going down the par 5 18th, so we agreed on double or quits where I would either be down £50 or all square. Stuck a monster drive miles left down the 1st fairway which actually left me a nice shot in, 2nd shot was a 7 iron to the front of the green and then an 8 iron bump and run to a couple of feet. My only birdie of the day after some up and down golf, but it’s left me high as a kite and we have booked a tee time for 8am tomorrow at our own course. Been loving golf these past few weeks since I became a member of a club, literally going to bed and dreaming about golf. What a game it is. 

27 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Played Trump for the first time this morning. He might be the biggest helmet on the planet, but by Christ has Donnie put his name to a good golf course. So tight and so tough, but so, so good. Was glorious sunshine and flat calm today and still very difficult, dread to think what it’d be like in the wind and rain.

IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8759.jpg
IMG_8761.jpg
IMG_8763.jpg
IMG_8767.jpg

Guy I work with played it just after it opened, said it was unreal. He mentioned that you can only ever see the hole you are playing due to the way the course has been built around the dunes. Going by your pictures I think I would need a couple of dozen balls to get round. 

Got an email from Bunkered advertising a 2 night B and B stay with a round at Trump, Newmachar and Newburgh for £369. I’m not sure how much it is just to play Trump alone but I know it isn’t cheap so that seems like a cracking deal. 

Edit- Has anyone on here played Dumbarnie? I’m going in a few weeks time and heard very good things. I hadn’t even heard of it until a few weeks ago although I’m told it’s a relatively new course. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

43 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Guy I work with played it just after it opened, said it was unreal. He mentioned that you can only ever see the hole you are playing due to the way the course has been built around the dunes. Going by your pictures I think I would need a couple of dozen balls to get round. 

Got an email from Bunkered advertising a 2 night B and B stay with a round at Trump, Newmachar and Newburgh for £369. I’m not sure how much it is just to play Trump alone but I know it isn’t cheap so that seems like a cracking deal. 

Edit- Has anyone on here played Dumbarnie? I’m going in a few weeks time and heard very good things. I hadn’t even heard of it until a few weeks ago although I’m told it’s a relatively new course. 

When Dumbarnie was opening, I made a post on here about the Bunkered boys having shares in it, such was their constant promotion and their hype for it, so I was totally prepared to hate it out of spite.

We played in October, got a stunning day, I played well, and had a very tasty slice of home made humble pie as I walked off 18. It is sensational. Hope you get as nice a day as we did.

17 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

When Dumbarnie was opening, I made a post on here about the Bunkered boys having shares in it, such was their constant promotion and their hype for it, so I was totally prepared to hate it out of spite.

We played in October, got a stunning day, I played well, and had a very tasty slice of home made humble pie as I walked off 18. It is sensational. Hope you get as nice a day as we did.

Brilliant. Haven’t heard anyone say a bad word about it yet.

It’s possibly because we are blessed with so many old and historical courses in Scotland, that it feels weird to have one that’s only recently built and receiving such good reviews. Cant have been an easy task building a brand new links course in Scotland. Infact, until I heard about Dumbarnie it hadn’t even crossed my mind that new courses would be built in the future with the amount we already have on offer. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Played very well today. Three over par after 3 holes and then played the remaining 15 holes in level par with one bogey, one birdie and 13 pars. Additional bonus that it was in a Stableford competition and came to 42 points. My birdie was on a par three as well so extra cash for the two. Happy days. [emoji2]

I lost four, was not distraught at that as it certainly could have been more. A cracking course, and very tough, but never felt unfair. We played Castle down in St Andrew’s last year, and its rough is similarly brutal, and it also feels like it’s set-up to screw you over with the amount of blind shots, etc (the greens are also a complete novelty), whereas Trump is laid out very clearly and it’s all the better for it.

That is a very good deal. Trump fee to book is £210 on its own (we’d booked for a Friday in feb but turned out it was a mistake having that available as they were closed, but thankfully honoured the price, so got it for £110 I think it was). Father-in-law is a member at Newburgh so play there fairly regularly, good links course, and played Newmachar a couple of weeks ago. Assuming it’s hawkshill, it’s pretty good, Swailend is also decent, but quite open so not that interesting.

We got a deal for July wi Bunkered for £530 for Carnoustie, Dumbarnie and Panmure and two nights in Carnoustie hotel, absolutely buzzing for it. We played Dumbarnie last year (it on the Friday, Castle Saturday) and it is 100% worthy of the hype. Just a beautiful links course. Again, the set up is so good and although it’s tough, it never feels unfair. Greens were outstanding as well. Can’t wait to play there again, although never played Carnoustie before (or Panmure) so it’s the one I’m most excited for.

Hi folks, Im looking to get a few lessons, has anyone got any recommendations where to go around the Glasgow area?
[mention=30544]J_Stewart[/mention] the photos of Trump look brilliant, will be looking to get up there at some point! How easy was it to get booked on?

Our booking was made a couple of months ago due to the above, but had a quick look yesterday at available tee times when I was looking at the course overview and there seemed to be plenty. It’s an amazing course, but it’s expensive, and very much aimed at the tourist market (American especially) which is obviously not at its peak at the moment, so getting a tee time shouldn’t really be an issue, even on a Saturday.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

IMG_8750.jpg
IMG_8754.jpg
IMG_8755.jpg
IMG_8758.jpg
IMG_8759.jpg
IMG_8761.jpg
IMG_8763.jpg
IMG_8767.jpg

Looks phenomenal. There’s no doubt that his courses are top class. Playing Ailsa in mid-May, followed by Birkdale a few days later. Cannot wait.