Golfers Thread

Gaz

From the stuff our handicap sec sent out, it seems you need a physical card for a comp but not a gen play. I'll definitely be confirming this with the pro before I play one though.
That's my understanding too, we've had guys DQ'd from comps for not submitting their card as they have got into the habit of not putting it in for general play. Don't know about other apps, but Scottish Golf asks you for the name and contact number of your marker.

Perhaps unsurprisingly Bob MacIntyre seems to have run out of steam in the States.

Five over for 13 holes in today's round including two double bogeys. Currently tied 56th.

Edit to add now 7 over through 14 holes after finding water on the par 3 and making a 3rd double bogey of the round.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Guy I played with yesterday sliced his first few drives, and has a bit of a moan that he never slices it. We discovered he wasn't lying on the 5th tee when the head of his driver flew off, chances are it was loose before that and the impact was forcing the face open.

Good line from Cink to his son who is caddying for him as they were heading up the last with a 4 shot lead, "I was expecting a dog fight but no dogs turned up."

Half decent fantasy haul for me with Fitzpatrick T4th, Morikawa T7th and DJ T13th.

21 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Buffer should effectively be replaced by trying to beat your 20th score, ie the one that it will replace.

True, and a "sort" function to allow you to keep track of this on the App would be useful. I suspect I'll still be using "old-school" buffer in my head for a while. though.

I've now played 3 rounds under WHS in the last 8 days and my handicap index has "crept" up from 6.0 to 7.7, a full 1.0 of that yesterday. I'm normally a fairly steady player with what I'd call a honest handicap, and although early-season conditions aren't my favourite (bumpy greens, variable bounce, etc), I'm finding such a fluctuation hard to fathom... 

3 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

True, and a "sort" function to allow you to keep track of this on the App would be useful. I suspect I'll still be using "old-school" buffer in my head for a while. though.

I've now played 3 rounds under WHS in the last 8 days and my handicap index has "crept" up from 6.0 to 7.7, a full 1.0 of that yesterday. I'm normally a fairly steady player with what I'd call a honest handicap, and although early-season conditions aren't my favourite (bumpy greens, variable bounce, etc), I'm finding such a fluctuation hard to fathom... 

How many scores do you have in? That seems a big swing if it takes an average of best 8 cards out of 20 into account.

I put a card in on Saturday for 36 stableford points which replaces an identical score which now falls out of my 20 most recent. No change to handicap but the benefit that most recent card will remain counting for a good while. I'm at a point where I'm playing off 9 when in a sweep off the yellow tees at my course but off 10 when off the Medal (white) tees.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

How many scores do you have in? That seems a big swing if it takes an average of best 8 cards out of 20 into account.

Lack of scores certainly isn't the issue - I've averaged 60-odd counting scores a year for as long as I can remember pre-WHS and play 36 holes of medal golf most Saturdays between April and October.

I thought the "soft cap" might've kicked in for such a fast change, tbh - maybe that'll be the case soon given that 2 of my next 3 scores are also in my Top 8 from the last 20. I suppose I'd better get used to the prospect of double figures for the first time since I was 15 at this rate...

Looks as though you can’t submit general play scores if playing in another country which is annoying. Playing a couple of English courses next month and ideally wanted to submit general play scores just to get my number of rounds up but doesn’t look possible.

Zurich Classic of New Orleans this weekend on the PGA Tour, which is a pairs event in which they play four ball better ball in rounds 1 and 3, and foursomes in rounds 2 and 4.

Martin Laird is partnered with Canadian Nick Taylor, and Russell Knox is paired with American Brian Stuard.

26 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Zurich Classic of New Orleans this weekend on the PGA Tour, which is a pairs event in which they play four ball better ball in rounds 1 and 3, and foursomes in rounds 2 and 4.

Martin Laird is partnered with Canadian Nick Taylor, and Russell Knox is paired with American Brian Stuard.

Do they choose partners or do the pairs get picked at random?