Golfers Thread

Gaz

**Fantasy Golf Week 4**

IMG_20210201_114805.jpg.296ce2ef2b9a7f8b89db9e383c8fc68d.jpg

"If it's embedded in the shit, you must acquit "

Reed my lips, NOT GUILTY was the verdict. Paddy survived a brush with the rules to claim his 13th career title. It overshadowed an impressive 5 shot win over a top class field. Is there a better closer in golf ? Rory and Rahm faded away and a bunch finished 2nd including Xander, Palmer, Hovland and Tony F, always the bridesmaid.

In Dubai, Paul Casey made his case for a spot in Padraig Harrington's Ryder Cup team by picking up his 19th career win. Harrington finished top10, maybe he should pick himself too. Poor Boab melted in the Middle East heat, but signs of promise as he moves to 44 in the OWGR.

Plenty points dished out this week too. Good week for @Erih Shtrep as the only one to have Casey in their team. That was eclipsed by those who choose both Reed and Finau. The forecast netting them a sweet, sweet 50 point bonus. @J_Stewart beginning to dominate like a prime Tiger, with 3 winners in 4 weeks. The bottom 3 need a big week soon after being cut adrift slightly.

Standings 

310 (164)⬆️ @J_Stewart

299 (158)⬆️ @Tartan Dave

281 (158)⬆️ @Ro Sham Bo

259  (60)  ⬇️ @die hard doonhamer

256 (164)⬆️ @Erih Shtrep

229  (58)  ⬇️ @lichtie23

224  (54)  ⬇️ @Distant Doonhamer

210 (134) ⬆️ @alta-pete

166  (74)  ⬇️ @Honest_Man#1

160  (70)  ⬇️ @Henderson to deliver .....

136  (72)  ⬇️ @peasy23

It's absolutely relentless atm. Another 2 top quality fields have assembled this week. First up The Saudi Invitational, where Mohammed Bin Salman is taking a break from human rights abuses and brutally murdering journalists (is Ewan Murray going over ?) to wave a great big bunch of petrodollars in the faces of the world's top golfers. DJ, Hovland, Finau, Ancer, Na, Bryson with his 48 inch shaft and Paddy Reed with his footwedge will all be there. Playing at a relatively new track, Royal Greens. Coastal but not really linksy, it's a short par 70, so unless the wind blows in off the Red Sea, it'll get annihilated by these lads.

FW-EIGCA111946News2.thumb.jpg.67650a55271456128a22df410b80c61a.jpg

We're off to the Sonoran desert and Arizona for the Phoenix Open, or the Waste Management as it's now called. Rubbish name that. JT returns this week and joins Rahm and Rory at the top of the betting here at TPC Scottsdale. The Tom Weiskopf design is standard PGA stuff until the finish. The par 5 15th is a nod to the 13th at Augusta, the drivable par 4 17th and a tough par 4 finisher. Most famous is the bear pit par 3 16th, completely enclosed by stands. Covid restrictions mean it won't quite be the same, but you can recreate the atmosphere at home by downing 12 beers and screaming MASHED POTATO in your wife's face. This has a list of classy previous winners, none more so than p&b favourite Sandy Lyle, who beat Fred Couples in a play off here in 1988 a mere 2 months before slipping on that green jacket. So, in a week containing unsavoury allegations of cheating and tournaments in violent regimes, here's Sandy in his braces to cleanse the timeline as we move into week 5.

201112-sandy-lyle-th.thumb.jpg.e5cb1e4db0cae337ae9c13c9c93f4049.jpg

Edited by Henderson to deliver .....

I have often thought a simple rule change to stop big hitters tearing up courses would be to make any areas with spectators( after Covid) OOB.

It annoys me , especially in the open , when you see pros hitting it into areas that a week before would have been ankle/ knee high rough all trampled down and made easier by thousands of people walking over it.

Plus with all the health and safety these days, you would have thought it should be discouraged as much as possible. 

It is ok to hit long, as long as you are straight, but just firing bombs here there and everywhere shouldn’t be a legitimate strategy at elite level golf. 

I think just extending the tees ever further backwards isn’t much of a solution. 

Of course the pros don’t like the new rules, if they did they are unlikely to be effective. 

He's obviously found his touch with the putter again then.... 
Delighted to see he followed it up with another 67 tonight.

I know Bubba isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I followed him for a few holes at Troon and the amount of movement he can put on the ball both left and right was mind boggling.

23 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Delighted to see he followed it up with another 67 tonight.

I know Bubba isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I followed him for a few holes at Troon and the amount of movement he can put on the ball both left and right was mind boggling.

I was behind one of his tee shots at the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles, ridiculous shape to his drives. Amazing to see up close though, as it always is when you get to watch these pros play the game right in front of you. That shot shape obviously comes naturally to him because he very rarely needs to move the ball as much as does, but he seems to enjoy doing it...or maybe he just can’t hit a straight ball.  

Neil Lennon was following that group round at the Ryder Cup that day, infact he was standing about 2 feet from me when Watson was teeing off. I believe he’s friends with Martin Kaymers caddy, who was Watsons opponent that day, and that’s how he managed to wangle a freebie for the Sunday of the Ryder Cup. He looked like a jakey that had been dragged through a hedge sideways, completely out of place with the rest of the hangers on. Probably tanked a half bottle of whisky on the way round as well. 

Russel Knox a bit too far back going into the weekend, could have been so much better for him. Double bogied the 15th yesterday and eagled it today, as well as another eagle at the 3rd hole on Thursday. 7 shots off the top, but it looks to be a strong leaderboard. 

Russel Knox a bit too far back going into the weekend, could have been so much better for him. Double bogied the 15th yesterday and eagled it today, as well as another eagle at the 3rd hole on Thursday. 7 shots off the top, but it looks to be a strong leaderboard. 

Aye Knox found the water in both rounds so far but has also as you say had an eagle 3 in each round too. Good to see him back in some decent form. He’s playing with Rory today so maybe a chance to see some of his play.

1 minute ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye Knox found the water in both rounds so far but has also as you say had an eagle 3 in each round too. Good to see him back in some decent form. He’s playing with Rory today so maybe a chance to see some of his play.

I’ve been following him through the PGA website shot tracker, don’t think Sky showed either of his eagles on their coverage, although I may have missed them. Should get a bit of airtime today if he’s out with McIlroy.  I’ve got a £2 bet on him at 220/1 so I hope he can make a move.