Golfers Thread

Gaz

25 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Sir Graham Brady asking in the Commons today why two people from the same household can walk across a golf course but it’s illegal for them to play golf on it.

As things stand if the weather improves we can play golf on Scottish courses. Two people from up to two households.

On 31/12/2020 at 19:46, IrishBhoy said:

Looking to join a course at the start of next year, but struggling to find one to commit to. Played the majority of courses in my local area (Renfrewshire) and none have jumped out at me where I would be willing to be a member. A work colleague is a member at Ralston so I’ve played that quite often over the last few years, always enjoy playing it but it’s very expensive. Was a member of the course closest to me for years too but only because I didn’t drive at the time. 

I could feasibly travel anywhere across Glasgow, and in the other direction as far down as Ayr. Played Irvine Bogside in late summer and that is top of the list at the moment as the course was in excellent condition and looks like they have a good set up. 

Years (maybe decades!) since I played them but Lochwinnoch an interesting course; Beith - the original 9 is great fun but the new 9 basically a field; the Ranfurly’s in Bridge of Weir probably fit your bill but I expect may now be a touch on the expensive side. 

9 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

As things stand if the weather improves we can play golf on Scottish courses. Two people from up to two households.

Yes I know but in England, Wales and Ireland it’s illegal and makes no sense in the most farcical of fashions.

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair enough. I just assumed as you replied quoting Lichtie 23 that you were referring to Scotland. He's in Scotland (I think).

Nah just because of the mention of courses being closed and having been amused by the golf chat in the commons today.

Is that weather related (rather than Covid).
If weather many areas look a good bit milder from next week.

Weather. The courses I play in Angus (mates are members) are covered in thick ice which will eventually melt and leave the course saturated. I’m a member of a course in Fife (only 25 miles from my front door in Arbroath) but I obviously can’t play there just now due to travel restrictions. Best I can do the now is head to the Forfar driving range and smash range balls into the nights sky.

@Mark Connolly @Day of the Lords @doulikefish @Distant Doonhamer @John Lambies Doos @alta-pete  @Honest_Man#1 @J_Stewart @peasy23 @Mr Hahn @dirty dingus @die hard doonhamer @quickoverayard @Carnoustie Young Guvnor @expatowner @KnightswoodBear

Tagging you if you've posted on this thread in the last couple of months.

Get your fantasy golf teams in please. Got 5 entries so far, so would be nice to make double figures, I'll accept entries up until Friday, on the thread or via pm.

Takes 5 minutes, 1 from each pool, 1 from each list and then another 4 to make 12 in total. Everything is on page 338, for rules, scoring, prizes etc.

On 09/12/2020 at 20:38, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

**Pick your team here**

I've supplied current WGR, 2020 PGA tour money list finish (season ending Sept 2020) and 2020 Road to Dubai position (finishes this week) where possible. 

*remember, 1 from each pool, 1 from each list, then any 4 from the lists*

*closing date is 6th January 2021*

Pool A.

The big dogs. 11 majors and $240 million career earnings between them. Golf's long hitting, big swinging alpha males.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR  PGA  RTD

Johnson                   1          3

Rahm                         2         2       20

Thomas                    3         1

McIlroy                      4          8       17

DeChambeau       5          6

Koepka                    12        81

Pool B.

The young guns. Someone once said 'you won't win anything with kids'.

They were wrong. These are best golfers under 25 in the world.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR  PGA  RTD

Morikawa            7          4          3

Wolff                      14        32

Hovland               15        41       113

Im                            20         9         15

Scheffler              31         22

Niemann              43         19

Pool C.

Team America, f**k yeah. These guys like Chevy's, Cheeseburgers and Chipping in from the Rough. 

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Simpson            6           5

Schauffele        8          11

Cantlay              9          36         98

Reed                   11        10           1

Berger                13         7

Kisner                  25         31

Pool D.

For Queen and Country. Amazingly, England have 8 players in the world's top 50, comfortably more than any nation outside of the US. Tally ho chaps.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Hatton                10       13          9

Fleetwood         16       88         2

Fitzpatrick         22       37         16

Casey                  24       44         12

Rose                     33       93         96

Westwood          47                      4

Pool E.

All the President's (cup) men. 6 golfers from 4 continents. The best of the rest of the world.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Scott                  17        30       37

Matsuyama     19       12

Oosthuizen       21        66       8

Ancer                   23        20       50

Smith                    27        27

Leishman            28        17

Pool F.

We may have voted for Brexit, but these guys wont hold it against us. Team Europe, classy as ever ladies and gentlemen.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD 

Lowry                    32       112      35

Perez                     37                      6

Wiesberger         40                     54

Garcia                   44       124       82

Stenson                58        203    187

MacIntyre            59                      22

PGA Tour list.

A varied selection of up and comers, nearly men, steady eddies and fading superstars.

Reveal hidden contents

PGA   WGR

Todd                14        46

English           15        29

Griffin              16         61

Finau               18        18

Munoz              21       56

Na                     23        39

Palmer            24        30

Streelman      25       51

Horschel          26       41

Champ             28        71

An                       29        72

Woodland       33        36

Woods              38        38

Hughes             39        50

Day                     42        42

Watson              53        45

Kuchar               55         34

Frittelli                 57         68

Kokrak                 59         26

Mickelson           60        67

Henley                  73        60

Spieth                  78         78

Poulter                 87         48

Fowler                  97          52

Lewis                    101         74

Z Johnson          113         97

McDowell            115         77

Willett                    130         65

Knox                       137       220

Laird                       183         89

European Tour list.

Don't let the world rankings fool you. These guys travel the world trying to earn a decent living. Remember in this game, a win in Florida isn't worth any more than a win in whatever Asian/Middle East/African backwater is hosting the weekly European Tour event.

Reveal hidden contents

RTD    WGR

Bezuidenhout    5            35

Rai                           7            81

Herbert                 10          69

Sullivan                  11         66

R Hojgaard          13          82

Van Rooyen         14          53

Valimaki                 18          85

Detry                        19          87

Paratore                 21         144

Horsfield                 23           99

Rozner                     24          129

Campillo                 25           111

Kaymer                   27            86

Otaegui                  28            158

Catlin                       30             96

Stone                       33             207

Wallace                  34               49

Coetzee                  36               93

Green                       42              188

Pieters                     45               83

Grace                       51              136

Warren                    52               233

Arnaus                     57               143

Kinhult                      62               124

Donaldson              63               183

Pepperell                 64               125

Syme                         67                234

Forrest                      68                319

Jamieson                69                237

Higgo                        71                103

Luiten                        72                157

Li                                  78                160

Cabrera Bello        89                  95

F Molinari                    249            100

We have been touring New Zealand for the last 6 months, and have played 117 rounds of golf on 105 courses, which works out at roughly 4½ rounds per week. 😍🥰
The cost of each round is usually around the $25-$35 mark.
Word of thanks - Most / many of the courses do not have even one full-time greenkeeper with the members volunteering to look after bits of the course. They all do a fantastic job. We also count our blessings in being able to travel and golf freely when many people around the world are so badly impacted by Covid and the restrictions.
Both of our handicaps have clicked up a notch since we set out last July, but that’s to be expected playing new courses every other day.

The maps show you (in black) where we have been:
North Island – We tackled Northlands first, then over to The Coromandel, around Hamilton, across to Taranaki, then down the west coast to Wellington.
South Island –from Picton we came down the west coast through Tasman, Buller, Grey, Westland, Queenstown Lakes and Southland. There wasn’t an awful lot of courses taking this route, but the scenery is too good to miss.
📷
North Island
📷
South Island

Our plan is to take the next 6 months, to cover many of the west coast courses first on the South Island and then the North Island, finishing back in Auckland around June.

Highlights and one ‘lowlight’:
The quirkiest course award encountered so far is currently a tie between Rangatira and Roxburgh. Rangatira is set out on a number of descending levels and, after completing the 18th, you catch a ‘ski lift’ to get back up to the clubhouse level. Roxburgh has sculpted around various outcrops of rock sticking up along the fairways and close to the greens, sounds a bit intimidating but they add to, rather than detract from, enjoying the course. Roxburgh is a fairly short course so placement of our tee shots was important.
📷
Rangatira ski lift
📷
Roxburgh rock outcrops

A special mention goes to Ngaruawahia near Hamilton, everywhere you looked things were neat and tidy – fairways, greens, bunkers, practice area, clubhouse, not one discarded beer bottle to be seen anywhere! A delight to play from start to finish.

To my shame, I am currently winning the bad behaviour award for the furthest thrown club for my effort on the 5th at Manawatu (at least twice as far as my ball travelled) 😤

Mornington in Wellington, requires lungs of steel and legs like a cart horse, to cope with all the ups and downs that it throws you. Not one for the faint hearted!

Most sheep on the course award is currently a tie between Taihape and Buckley.

Wainuiomata picks up a special award just for its second hole - only 154m, but there’s one HUGE tree that’s VERY difficult to go over and still get to the green and it seems to fill most of the tight “fairway” and causes trouble for players as they try to play beneath. 😄

Goldendowns golf course has an option to play New Zealands longest par 5 hole at 659m, I chickened out and played the 505m option.

Best par 3 is the big drop 12th at Taihape (133m), with trouble right and left, which reminded me of the old 17th hole at my home course in Kinghorn, Scotland.
📷
Taihape 12thhole

Best par 4 – pick any one of many dog-leg holes at Waitomo.
📷
Waitomo dog-leg

Best par 5 is the 13th at Wellsford with its humongous drop away.

The most intimidating first tee award goes, hands down, to Te Marua - where a huge, straight drive is required just to get across the river.
📷
Te Marua first hole tee to landing area

Nearest the pin was my shot that landed a foot away and stayed within two feet of the pin on the 13th hole (124m) at Kerikeri.
📷
Nearest the pin

Anyway that’s all from us, for now.
Happy New Year and play good golf everybody!

List of Courses played

North Island– 88 courses, 99 rounds
Muriwai, South Head, Tapora, Northern Wairoa(x2), Kaitai(x2), Houhora(x2), Carrington, Whangaroa, Okaihau, Waitangi, Kerikeri, Kaihoke, Whangarei(x2), Waipu, Mangawhai, Wellsford, Maramarua, Hauraki(x2), Thames, Coromandel, Matarangi, Whitiangi, Purangi, Tairua, The Lakes, Whangamata, Waihi, Fairview, Summerhill, Omokoroa, Mt Maunganui, Matamata, Te Aroha, Watton, Paeroa, Waikere, Huntly, Riverside, Hukanui, Cambridge, Ngaruawahia(x2), Raglan(x2), Horsham, Te Awamutu, Otorohanga, Tirau, Putaruru, Tokoroa, Mangakino, Taumarunui, Urenui, Kaitake, Opunake, Manaia, Hawera, Fitzroy, Westown(x2), Inglewood, Stratford, Eltham, Ohakune, Taihape, Rangatira, Castlecliff, Wanganui, Marton, Orlando, Manawatu, Palmerston North, Fielding, Foxton, Otaki, Buckley, Levin, Waikanae, Paraparaumu, Kapiti, Titahi, Ohariu, Karori(x2), Judgeford(x2), Hutt Valley, Trentham, Te Marua, Manor Park, Boulcotts Farm, Wainuiomata(x2), Mornington.

South Island– 17 courses, 18 rounds
Waahi Taakaro, Greenacres, Nelson(x2), Takaka, Motueka, Totaradale, Golden Downs, Murchison, Westport, Reefton, Hokitika, Hawea, Cromwell, Alexandra, Roxburgh, Waikaka,

IMG_7740 North.jpg

IMG_7739 South.jpg

IMG_7342 ski lift.jpg

IMG_7713 Roxburgh.jpg

IMG_7335 Taihape.jpg

IMG_6985 Waitomo.jpg

IMG_7513 Te Marua.jpg

Nearest the pin.jpg

8 hours ago, expatowner said:
We have been touring New Zealand for the last 6 months, and have played 117 rounds of golf on 105 courses, which works out at roughly 4½ rounds per week. 😍🥰
The cost of each round is usually around the $25-$35 mark.
Word of thanks - Most / many of the courses do not have even one full-time greenkeeper with the members volunteering to look after bits of the course. They all do a fantastic job. We also count our blessings in being able to travel and golf freely when many people around the world are so badly impacted by Covid and the restrictions.
Both of our handicaps have clicked up a notch since we set out last July, but that’s to be expected playing new courses every other day.

The maps show you (in black) where we have been:
North Island – We tackled Northlands first, then over to The Coromandel, around Hamilton, across to Taranaki, then down the west coast to Wellington.
South Island –from Picton we came down the west coast through Tasman, Buller, Grey, Westland, Queenstown Lakes and Southland. There wasn’t an awful lot of courses taking this route, but the scenery is too good to miss.
📷
North Island
📷
South Island

Our plan is to take the next 6 months, to cover many of the west coast courses first on the South Island and then the North Island, finishing back in Auckland around June.

Highlights and one ‘lowlight’:
The quirkiest course award encountered so far is currently a tie between Rangatira and Roxburgh. Rangatira is set out on a number of descending levels and, after completing the 18th, you catch a ‘ski lift’ to get back up to the clubhouse level. Roxburgh has sculpted around various outcrops of rock sticking up along the fairways and close to the greens, sounds a bit intimidating but they add to, rather than detract from, enjoying the course. Roxburgh is a fairly short course so placement of our tee shots was important.
📷
Rangatira ski lift
📷
Roxburgh rock outcrops

A special mention goes to Ngaruawahia near Hamilton, everywhere you looked things were neat and tidy – fairways, greens, bunkers, practice area, clubhouse, not one discarded beer bottle to be seen anywhere! A delight to play from start to finish.

To my shame, I am currently winning the bad behaviour award for the furthest thrown club for my effort on the 5th at Manawatu (at least twice as far as my ball travelled) 😤

Mornington in Wellington, requires lungs of steel and legs like a cart horse, to cope with all the ups and downs that it throws you. Not one for the faint hearted!

Most sheep on the course award is currently a tie between Taihape and Buckley.

Wainuiomata picks up a special award just for its second hole - only 154m, but there’s one HUGE tree that’s VERY difficult to go over and still get to the green and it seems to fill most of the tight “fairway” and causes trouble for players as they try to play beneath. 😄

Goldendowns golf course has an option to play New Zealands longest par 5 hole at 659m, I chickened out and played the 505m option.

Best par 3 is the big drop 12th at Taihape (133m), with trouble right and left, which reminded me of the old 17th hole at my home course in Kinghorn, Scotland.
📷
Taihape 12thhole

Best par 4 – pick any one of many dog-leg holes at Waitomo.
📷
Waitomo dog-leg

Best par 5 is the 13th at Wellsford with its humongous drop away.

The most intimidating first tee award goes, hands down, to Te Marua - where a huge, straight drive is required just to get across the river.
📷
Te Marua first hole tee to landing area

Nearest the pin was my shot that landed a foot away and stayed within two feet of the pin on the 13th hole (124m) at Kerikeri.
📷
Nearest the pin

Anyway that’s all from us, for now.
Happy New Year and play good golf everybody!

List of Courses played

North Island– 88 courses, 99 rounds
Muriwai, South Head, Tapora, Northern Wairoa(x2), Kaitai(x2), Houhora(x2), Carrington, Whangaroa, Okaihau, Waitangi, Kerikeri, Kaihoke, Whangarei(x2), Waipu, Mangawhai, Wellsford, Maramarua, Hauraki(x2), Thames, Coromandel, Matarangi, Whitiangi, Purangi, Tairua, The Lakes, Whangamata, Waihi, Fairview, Summerhill, Omokoroa, Mt Maunganui, Matamata, Te Aroha, Watton, Paeroa, Waikere, Huntly, Riverside, Hukanui, Cambridge, Ngaruawahia(x2), Raglan(x2), Horsham, Te Awamutu, Otorohanga, Tirau, Putaruru, Tokoroa, Mangakino, Taumarunui, Urenui, Kaitake, Opunake, Manaia, Hawera, Fitzroy, Westown(x2), Inglewood, Stratford, Eltham, Ohakune, Taihape, Rangatira, Castlecliff, Wanganui, Marton, Orlando, Manawatu, Palmerston North, Fielding, Foxton, Otaki, Buckley, Levin, Waikanae, Paraparaumu, Kapiti, Titahi, Ohariu, Karori(x2), Judgeford(x2), Hutt Valley, Trentham, Te Marua, Manor Park, Boulcotts Farm, Wainuiomata(x2), Mornington.

South Island– 17 courses, 18 rounds
Waahi Taakaro, Greenacres, Nelson(x2), Takaka, Motueka, Totaradale, Golden Downs, Murchison, Westport, Reefton, Hokitika, Hawea, Cromwell, Alexandra, Roxburgh, Waikaka,

What a fantastic adventure. Not at all jealous 😄

Rockingham GC, just south of Perth, WA about 10 years ago. It was a quick 10 day trip in January to see a pal who had moved over a year or so before. A bit of a blur, the principal memory was that the mozzies coming off the roos' were fkn deadly!

On 06/01/2021 at 18:16, alta-pete said:

Years (maybe decades!) since I played them but Lochwinnoch an interesting course; Beith - the original 9 is great fun but the new 9 basically a field; the Ranfurly’s in Bridge of Weir probably fit your bill but I expect may now be a touch on the expensive side. 

Played Lochwinnoch a couple of times and heard good things about Ranfurly Castle, will try and play that in the next few months. 

Lochwinnoch is an acquired taste I think, I know people that love the course but I find it a bit of a slog. Very hilly course and you need to be confident playing shots with the ball either well above or well below your feet. The majority of the fairways lie on a camber as well, and you could skelp a lovely drive down the middle that ends up taking a bad bounce in to the rough. I don’t hit too many straight drives, so when even my good ones are finding the rough it’s tough to take.