Golfers Thread

Gaz

I really like these golfing tales. Every golfer has them. Years before I’d had a hole in one I hit the pin at two par 3s in the same round (Dumfries and County GC the 6th and the 14th). Both times the ball stopped within a foot of the hole. I still have the golf balls that I used for the two aces I’ve had and also the golf ball I used in the round of golf where after years of playing I finally made it to single figure handicap.
I’ve also holed a full 3 wood shot from about 210 yards on a par 5 in a match. Just to add to the story it was a provisional ball. Tee shot into bunker. Played out of bunker sideways. Hit 3 wood shot which looked as though it might be lost. Hit provisional up towards the green. Found original ball in an awful spot, had a couple of goes at moving it forwards and then conceded the hole. Went up to the green to get my provisional ball to discover it was in the hole for what would have been an amazing par 5.
My workmate has had 2 holes in one, and didn't see the ball go in on either of them. The second one, he and his mate thought his ball had gone through the green, and after drawing a blank after a few minutes looking for it, his mate did the old "I'll check the hole just in case." [emoji23]

Never had a hole in one, came close on a few occasions. My auld man who has played off 5-12 for about 50 years has only had one, on a winter green less than 100 yards. Even he only claims it as 'half a hole in one'.

I definitely think a lot of it is luck. Anyone watch this guys stuff ? 

Looking to join a course at the start of next year, but struggling to find one to commit to. Played the majority of courses in my local area (Renfrewshire) and none have jumped out at me where I would be willing to be a member. A work colleague is a member at Ralston so I’ve played that quite often over the last few years, always enjoy playing it but it’s very expensive. Was a member of the course closest to me for years too but only because I didn’t drive at the time. 

I could feasibly travel anywhere across Glasgow, and in the other direction as far down as Ayr. Played Irvine Bogside in late summer and that is top of the list at the moment as the course was in excellent condition and looks like they have a good set up. 

Looking to join a course at the start of next year, but struggling to find one to commit to. Played the majority of courses in my local area (Renfrewshire) and none have jumped out at me where I would be willing to be a member. A work colleague is a member at Ralston so I’ve played that quite often over the last few years, always enjoy playing it but it’s very expensive. Was a member of the course closest to me for years too but only because I didn’t drive at the time. 

I could feasibly travel anywhere across Glasgow, and in the other direction as far down as Ayr. Played Irvine Bogside in late summer and that is top of the list at the moment as the course was in excellent condition and looks like they have a good set up. 

I’ve played many times with a pal who is a member at East Renfrewshire and really like it as a course. My mate seems happy as a member there but it’s not something we’ve discussed in any detail. The only other course in that area I’ve played is Cathkin Braes which I also enjoyed.

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’ve played many times with a pal who is a member at East Renfrewshire and really like it as a course. My mate seems happy as a member there but it’s not something we’ve discussed in any detail. The only other course in that area I’ve played is Cathkin Braes which I also enjoyed.

Cheers for that, will keep it in mind. The plan is for me and my pal to go and play as many courses as we can in the early part of 2021, before picking one to join around April time. Only issue I think we might find around the East Renfrewshire area is that green fees will be higher due to it being a more affluent area. I don’t grudge paying the money if I think the course is worth it, but I find the courses around Glasgow that have got a good name for themselves also have extortionate fees. Obviously too far away for me to join, but you can play both the courses at Monifeith for £520 year round, compared to £1200+ for a parkland course in the Glasgow area. 

Irvine still the favourite for us. Lovely flat layout, nice links feel about it and 25 minute drive from my house or there’s a train station nearby if playing in a competition or going for a drink after it. Have you played Irvine before? I 

Cheers for that, will keep it in mind. The plan is for me and my pal to go and play as many courses as we can in the early part of 2021, before picking one to join around April time. Only issue I think we might find around the East Renfrewshire area is that green fees will be higher due to it being a more affluent area. I don’t grudge paying the money if I think the course is worth it, but I find the courses around Glasgow that have got a good name for themselves also have extortionate fees. Obviously too far away for me to join, but you can play both the courses at Monifeith for £520 year round, compared to £1200+ for a parkland course in the Glasgow area. 

Irvine still the favourite for us. Lovely flat layout, nice links feel about it and 25 minute drive from my house or there’s a train station nearby if playing in a competition or going for a drink after it. Have you played Irvine before? I 

Have never played at Irvine. Sounds good from your description. Good luck finding a place to join.

I really like these golfing tales. Every golfer has them. Years before I’d had a hole in one I hit the pin at two par 3s in the same round (Dumfries and County GC the 6th and the 14th). Both times the ball stopped within a foot of the hole. I still have the golf balls that I used for the two aces I’ve had and also the golf ball I used in the round of golf where after years of playing I finally made it to single figure handicap.
I’ve also holed a full 3 wood shot from about 210 yards on a par 5 in a match. Just to add to the story it was a provisional ball. Tee shot into bunker. Played out of bunker sideways. Hit 3 wood shot which looked as though it might be lost. Hit provisional up towards the green. Found original ball in an awful spot, had a couple of goes at moving it forwards and then conceded the hole. Went up to the green to get my provisional ball to discover it was in the hole for what would have been an amazing par 5.
I have the balls I used for my second and third holes in one. The first one I didn't think to stick it back in the bag, teed it up on the 3rd and hit an almight carve OB. Fucking raging [emoji23] I kept the wedge I'd used for them for years. I chucked it out a few years back when I snapped it during a comedy headsgone and it wasn't worth the cost of reshafting.

On 09/12/2020 at 20:38, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

**Pick your team here**

I've supplied current WGR, 2020 PGA tour money list finish (season ending Sept 2020) and 2020 Road to Dubai position (finishes this week) where possible. 

*remember, 1 from each pool, 1 from each list, then any 4 from the lists*

*closing date is 6th January 2021*

Pool A.

The big dogs. 11 majors and $240 million career earnings between them. Golf's long hitting, big swinging alpha males.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR  PGA  RTD

Johnson                   1          3

Rahm                         2         2       20

Thomas                    3         1

McIlroy                      4          8       17

DeChambeau       5          6

Koepka                    12        81

Pool B.

The young guns. Someone once said 'you won't win anything with kids'.

They were wrong. These are best golfers under 25 in the world.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR  PGA  RTD

Morikawa            7          4          3

Wolff                      14        32

Hovland               15        41       113

Im                            20         9         15

Scheffler              31         22

Niemann              43         19

Pool C.

Team America, f**k yeah. These guys like Chevy's, Cheeseburgers and Chipping in from the Rough. 

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Simpson            6           5

Schauffele        8          11

Cantlay              9          36         98

Reed                   11        10           1

Berger                13         7

Kisner                  25         31

Pool D.

For Queen and Country. Amazingly, England have 8 players in the world's top 50, comfortably more than any nation outside of the US. Tally ho chaps.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Hatton                10       13          9

Fleetwood         16       88         2

Fitzpatrick         22       37         16

Casey                  24       44         12

Rose                     33       93         96

Westwood          47                      4

Pool E.

All the President's (cup) men. 6 golfers from 4 continents. The best of the rest of the world.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD

Scott                  17        30       37

Matsuyama     19       12

Oosthuizen       21        66       8

Ancer                   23        20       50

Smith                    27        27

Leishman            28        17

Pool F.

We may have voted for Brexit, but these guys wont hold it against us. Team Europe, classy as ever ladies and gentlemen.

Reveal hidden contents

WGR   PGA   RTD 

Lowry                    32       112      35

Perez                     37                      6

Wiesberger         40                     54

Garcia                   44       124       82

Stenson                58        203    187

MacIntyre            59                      22

PGA Tour list.

A varied selection of up and comers, nearly men, steady eddies and fading superstars.

Reveal hidden contents

PGA   WGR

Todd                14        46

English           15        29

Griffin              16         61

Finau               18        18

Munoz              21       56

Na                     23        39

Palmer            24        30

Streelman      25       51

Horschel          26       41

Champ             28        71

An                       29        72

Woodland       33        36

Woods              38        38

Hughes             39        50

Day                     42        42

Watson              53        45

Kuchar               55         34

Frittelli                 57         68

Kokrak                 59         26

Mickelson           60        67

Henley                  73        60

Spieth                  78         78

Poulter                 87         48

Fowler                  97          52

Lewis                    101         74

Z Johnson          113         97

McDowell            115         77

Willett                    130         65

Knox                       137       220

Laird                       183         89

European Tour list.

Don't let the world rankings fool you. These guys travel the world trying to earn a decent living. Remember in this game, a win in Florida isn't worth any more than a win in whatever Asian/Middle East/African backwater is hosting the weekly European Tour event.

Reveal hidden contents

RTD    WGR

Bezuidenhout    5            35

Rai                           7            81

Herbert                 10          69

Sullivan                  11         66

R Hojgaard          13          82

Van Rooyen         14          53

Valimaki                 18          85

Detry                        19          87

Paratore                 21         144

Horsfield                 23           99

Rozner                     24          129

Campillo                 25           111

Kaymer                   27            86

Otaegui                  28            158

Catlin                       30             96

Stone                       33             207

Wallace                  34               49

Coetzee                  36               93

Green                       42              188

Pieters                     45               83

Grace                       51              136

Warren                    52               233

Arnaus                     57               143

Kinhult                      62               124

Donaldson              63               183

Pepperell                 64               125

Syme                         67                234

Forrest                      68                319

Jamieson                69                237

Higgo                        71                103

Luiten                        72                157

Li                                  78                160

Cabrera Bello        89                  95

F Molinari                    249            100

On 09/12/2020 at 20:38, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

**Welcome to the 1st Annual P&B Fantasy Golf League**

- Pick a squad of 12 golfers from 100 of the world's best and earn enough points to be crowned as p&b's official golfing expert.

- Season starts 7th January and concludes with the Road to Dubai World Championship.*(date tbc / approx mid November)

Picking your 12 man squad.

-there are 6 pools of 6 players. You may only pick 1 from each pool.

-there is a PGA Tour list and a European Tour list. You must pick 1 from each list. 

-your 4 remaining picks can be any combination from the 2 Tour lists. (ex. 3 pga + 1 euro, 0 pga + 4 euro etc)

-There will be 3 transfer windows, with unlimited transfers.

Scoring points.

-All regular PGA and European Tour events score the same.

- a 1.5x multiplier for bigger events like WGC's and the Rolex Series. 2x multiplier for the 4 Major championships. Plus other bonuses.

- 1st - 50 points

2nd- 30 points

3rd- 20 points

4th- 16 points

5th- 12 points

6-10th- 8 points

11-20th- 4 points

Nice and simple stuff, teams to be in for 6th January, either on the thread or via PM. The more the merrier, if you've posted on this thread in the last 6 months and haven't entered a team by New Year, I'll be tagging you in multiple posts until you enter.

* more picks and scoring info here.

Reveal hidden contents

-There will be 3 transfer windows. 

4th-8th April (week before Masters)

19th-22nd July (week after the Open)

6th -13th Sept (week after Tour Championship)

-If there's anyone you want to pick who isn't on the Tour lists, I will add them during the 1st transfer window.

-Any ties will receive full points. Example, if 10 golfers tie for third, they will all receive the full 20 points, next place would then be 13th and would get the appropriate points for that position.

-If you manage to have the winner on both tours in the same week, then it's a 50 point bonus.

-Having 1st and 2nd in the same tournament will also land a 50 point bonus. 

-Full list of extra point events will be up before the big tee off. I'm waiting on the European Tour confirming their 2021 schedule.

-Any disputes, the Competition Director's decision is final.

With the  European Tour Schedule finally released today, I can confirm the 16 bonus point events for this years fantasy golf league. 

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

- Prizes*

-For the overall title following the competition ending DP World Tour Championship on Nov 21st.

1st place = £20 (4x£5) to place on any golf market on Skybet.

2nd place = £10 (2x£5)

3rd place = £5

-Mini Leagues.

There will be two imaginatively titled  mini leagues over the year.

-The Road to Augusta.

Whoever scores the most points between the competition start on  Thurday January 7th until Sunday April 3rd, will win £10 (2x£5) to place on any Skybet Masters golf market.

-The Race to Whistling Straits.

Whoever scores the most points between Thursday 8th April (the masters) and Sunday 19th September (klm dutch open) will win £10 (2x£5) to place on any Skybet Ryder Cup golf market.

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

I think that's pretty much it. Just down to you guys picking your teams. Hopefully get a decent number. I'll add all this to the original post and repost it all again in a couple of weeks.

Remember to get your fantasy golf picks in lads. 

New lockdown measures mean golf can still be played but by a max group size of two from a maximum of two households.

https://scottishgolf.org/covid-19-update-4-january-2021/
Not that big a problem for me at this time of year, quite often zip round a quick 18 holes on my own through the winter. If the tees are forward and a lot of winter greens on I can get round in just over 2 hours.

Few moans on the club's Facebook page as they cancelled all bookings from tomorrow onwards, don't really see what else they could do with 3 and 4 ball bookings. Would be even more uproar if they just scrubbed one or two names.

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I don’t think il be back out on a course until February. Courses in my area are all closed and don’t look like opening soon

Sir Graham Brady asking in the Commons today why two people from the same household can walk across a golf course but it’s illegal for them to play golf on it.