Golfers Thread

Gaz

My current handicap is 4.1 and my projected index under WHS is 2.4 😬 one of my mates is off +2 currently and his projected index is +3.7 😂

Also does anyone know of any decent winter deals for courses in good condition? Ideally within an hours drive of Edinburgh and £100 and under for a fourball? (£25 each) 

8 out of 20 seems a bit small IMO. Anyone else agree or am I on my own?

It seems about right to me. Presumably there has been a load of mathematical modelling around this. I’m no expert though.

Plus it gives me a result I’m happy with [emoji106][emoji23] Not something heard often from a QOS fan in recent times.

Booked to play Royal Dornoch next month. Hopefully weather is kind to me.
Played it (I say play, I am beyond terrible) and the Struie course a few years back. Perfect weather round the Struie but the mist and harr didn't lift from the course until about 2pm meaning a late start around 4 and in early September saw us playing the last couple of holes in near pitch black.

Lovely lovely lovely course.

Well Gentlemen, at 21.21 this evening I received an email with my first ever official golf handicap. I am playing off of 14! A bit lower than I think I am. That’s a congu handicap so I wonder how much it will change with the WHS.

Go for it. [emoji106]

I like the challenge of trying to maintain/improve that. Unfortunately I got an email from st Michaels saying there winter course does not effect my handicap index, must be too short or something. Do the plan will be to work some kinks out of the swing over the winter and really have a go from March/April onwards.

I like the challenge of trying to maintain/improve that. Unfortunately I got an email from st Michaels saying there winter course does not effect my handicap index, must be too short or something. Do the plan will be to work some kinks out of the swing over the winter and really have a go from March/April onwards.

Stay at the same level over the winter and go for it next year. Good luck.

With the new system, you could pay on to another neighbouring course and submit a qualifying score there? Myself and a few friends are hoping to do something similar at a couple of Ayrshire links courses over the winter

With the new system, you could pay on to another neighbouring course and submit a qualifying score there? Myself and a few friends are hoping to do something similar at a couple of Ayrshire links courses over the winter

Yea mate that’s the plan. Maybe pay into one of the local courses twice a month and submit those cards. Starting with Brechin a week tomorrow

Talking about qualifying scores has anyone seen on the Scottish golf site or app where you go to pre register your round? Don’t know if the function hasn’t been made available yet or I’m just missing it
Nope, not seeing it either tbh.

So I think I’m beginning to understand this. My projected handicap index is 9.3. My course off the white tees has a course rating of 72 and a slope rating of 125. So my Course Handicap playing off these tees is 9.3 x 125/113= 10.3. If I’m playing in a singles medal or Stableford competition my Playing Handicap for that event is 95% of my course handicap I.e. 10.3 x 0.95 = 9.8 so a playing handicap of 10 for the competition.

The figure of 113 used in the calculation above is the slope rating for a reference course of standard playing difficulty. Thus my course with a slope rating of 125 is rated as more difficult so my course handicap is higher than my handicap index by a factor of 125/113.

That’s my understanding of it but I may well have misunderstood something

So I think I’m beginning to understand this. My projected handicap index is 9.3. My course off the white tees has a course rating of 72 and a slope rating of 125. So my Course Handicap playing off these tees is 9.3 x 125/113= 10.3. If I’m playing in a singles medal or Stableford competition my Playing Handicap for that event is 95% of my course handicap I.e. 10.3 x 0.95 = 9.8 so a playing handicap of 10 for the competition.
 The figure of 113 used in the calculation above is the slope rating for a reference course of standard playing difficulty. Thus my course with a slope rating of 125 is rated as more difficult so my course handicap is higher than my handicap index by a factor of 125/113.

Word for word, that’s exactly how Iv figured it out.

So I think I’m beginning to understand this. My projected handicap index is 9.3. My course off the white tees has a course rating of 72 and a slope rating of 125. So my Course Handicap playing off these tees is 9.3 x 125/113= 10.3. If I’m playing in a singles medal or Stableford competition my Playing Handicap for that event is 95% of my course handicap I.e. 10.3 x 0.95 = 9.8 so a playing handicap of 10 for the competition. The figure of 113 used in the calculation above is the slope rating for a reference course of standard playing difficulty. Thus my course with a slope rating of 125 is rated as more difficult so my course handicap is higher than my handicap index by a factor of 125/113.  That’s my understanding of it but I may well have misunderstood something  

I think there is also the soft cap and hard cap to consider.  https://www.golf.co.nz/uploads/3%20LIMIT%20OF%20UPWARD%20MOVEMENT%20OF%20A%20HANDICAP%20INDEX.pdf 

IMG_1603764718.306631.thumb.jpg.f48cd3743658d62632ba6e5cd166df0a.jpg

My handicap is not reflecting the best 8 rounds out of 20 rigmarole but is limited because of either the soft or hard caps within the past year (I haven’t figured which).

Playing like a dog at present.

I think the slope is less a measure of the difficulty of the course but more how relatively difficult it is for a higher handicap player in comparison to a low handicapper - the course rating is the difficulty as (I think) it's the number of shots for a scratch golfer to go round on average.