Golfers Thread

Gaz

And Laird wins at the 2nd extra hole. Brilliant.
He was really emotional after the round. Well done that man.

Fantastic stuff, delighted for Laird, the up and down on the 17th was incredible from where he left his tee shot to save par, only then to bogey the last! Didn’t put a foot wrong over the two play off holes though, well played indeed.

Laird was only in the field on a sponsors invite as he comes back after knee surgery. The win gives him a 2 season exemption on the tour as well as entry to next year’s Masters and other big events plus moved him from 351st to 88th in the OWGR making him the highest ranked Scot. Great week for him [emoji106]

Playing the Kings Course on Friday then Queens Course on Sunday. Weather currently looking okay, clear Friday and bit of rain Sunday but dry for when I’m playing. Praying it stays the same as I assume they’ll get pretty spongy with any significant rain.

Didn't bother with the PGA as it seems to get roundly panned online.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

Playing the Kings Course on Friday then Queens Course on Sunday. Weather currently looking okay, clear Friday and bit of rain Sunday but dry for when I’m playing. Praying it stays the same as I assume they’ll get pretty spongy with any significant rain.
Didn't bother with the PGA as it seems to get roundly panned online.

Both the Kings and Queens Course are excellent. Haven’t played the PGA.
Enjoy.

Played Fraserburgh Golf Club today in my quest to play the Scottish top 100 courses. That makes it 4/100.

Fabulous course. Front 9 starts with a fairly mundane opener, which lies on the same very flat land near the clubhouse as the 18th. But from then on it's up and down for most of the front 9. The 2nd smacks straight up a hill and the 3rd tees off from the top to provide some wonderful views:

IMG_20201015_132302.thumb.jpg.5993cf452e40140fd1293b4e4c36369d.jpg

IMG_20201015_132258.thumb.jpg.16f7f82733510c2e8b9d4064c930724a.jpg

Rest of the front 9 is tricky with the thick grass on the dunes providing a real hazard if you're a bit wayward. Highlights for me were the 4th, a short par 4 with a small green perched perilously on the side of a hill and the 7th, one of the best par 3's I think I've ever played. Short but guarded by 3 pot bunkers at the front of the green:IMG_20201015_141101.thumb.jpg.10f604b45850377e1dd5360f0eeafef2.jpg

Back 9 starts with the fantastic 10th, a short, dogleg par 4 with a fairway littered with humps and bumps and a green tucked away in the dunes. Further highlights for me were the 15th, 16th and 17th. 15th a brilliant par 5, in a slight half-pipe between the dunes. 16th was a terrific par 4 littered with bunkers and 17th, another lovely par 3, albeit a slightly longer one than  the 7th at about 180 yards.

Although I'm just at the start, Fraserburgh is probably my favourite so far. I think it has the best par 3s of any course I've played and some great holes inbetween. It's tough and unforgiving on poor shots but most of the best courses are. Slight shame that the opening and closing holes are so bland because the rest is so good.

Edited by Mr Hahn

f**k me the King’s Course was tough. Probably the toughest course I’ve played, even in perfect golfing conditions. Had a few decent holes, but also a few absolute shockers the likes of which I haven’t had in a long time. Still an enjoyable round.

Hoping the Queen’s is more forgiving.

13 hours ago, FuzzyBear said:

Stephen Gallagher bogeys last 2 to ensure misses cut. Probably deliberate so he can see Celtic game tomorrow.

13 hours ago, edthebaw said:

Bob McIntyre w/d

Apparently MacIntyre had a bit if a hip problem but because if ther Covid related restrictions in place he couldn't get the level of physio required to treat it properly so he had to withdraw. 

Quite a few Scots made the cut although only Marc Warren looks in with any sort of chance of winning.