Golfers Thread

Gaz

Paul Lawrie playing in his final European Tour event at the Scottish Open. Been a great ambassador for the game and for Scotland, and his foundation does a lot of great work with young golfers.

Often forgotten because of van de Velde's meltdown, but Lawrie got lucky when he played the 18th in regulation, when he hit a 5 iron which bounced over the Barry Burn. He did hit this cracker in the play off though to seal his win.

Paul Lawrie playing in his final European Tour event at the Scottish Open. Been a great ambassador for the game and for Scotland, and his foundation does a lot of great work with young golfers.

Often forgotten because of van de Velde's meltdown, but Lawrie got lucky when he played the 18th in regulation, when he hit a 5 iron which bounced over the Barry Burn. He did hit this cracker in the play off though to seal his win.

I was in the stand to the right that day. The cheer was deafening when the ball pitched just short of the green and rolled on. A wonderful memory that will last with me forever

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

A real shame there won't be any crowd there to witness it, although I expect he'll play in the Open still. 

Unfortunately Paul Lawrie couldn't make the cut, bringing down the curtain on a fantastic career. The fact he has his name on that big jug makes him a bit more than just "decent" imo. He also has an excellent Ryder Cup record, with 4.5 points from 8 games in 2 appearances, but what makes that record better is that they were both in America. One of the humblest guys in the game.

Unfortunately Paul Lawrie couldn't make the cut, bringing down the curtain on a fantastic career. The fact he has his name on that big jug makes him a bit more than just "decent" imo. He also has an excellent Ryder Cup record, with 4.5 points from 8 games in 2 appearances, but what makes that record better is that they were both in America. One of the humblest guys in the game.

I just loved what he said

“I don’t want to play just to make up the numbers, If I’m stopping a young lad from having a game and a career, I don’t want that”

11 hours ago, peasy23 said:

What he's doing for the up and coming players in Scotland is excellent. I hope he can inspire a few more to see what they can achieve with some hard work to go alongside their talent. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Just watched the highlights of the Scottish Open, that looked grim tbf. Eddie Pepperell tweeted that it was the wettest he has ever been coming off a golf course, while Westwood and Colsaerts both tweeted clips of them trying to dry out their shoes with a hairdryer.

Been a long time since I patched a round of golf because of the weather, but I took a dive on Saturday morning. It was a Texas Scramble, and when i turned up at 11 one of the team was already there, but with the course starting to flood we both thought there was little point going out, third team member appeared just after me and agreed. Got a message about 1 to say it had been abandoned, we would have been 8 or 9 holes in by then.

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Just watched the highlights of the Scottish Open, that looked grim tbf. Eddie Pepperell tweeted that it was the wettest he has ever been coming off a golf course, while Westwood and Colsaerts both tweeted clips of them trying to dry out their shoes with a hairdryer.

Sky interviewed Tommy Fleetwood who said he loved every minute of it. Mind you he did shoot a 69 which must've gained him 4 or 5 shots on the field. 

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Sky interviewed Tommy Fleetwood who said he loved every minute of it. Mind you he did shoot a 69 which must've gained him 4 or 5 shots on the field. 

Yes a positive outlook by Fleetwood plus he mentioned how much money they play for nowadays suggesting that the players shouldn't grumble because of the bad conditions.

It wouldn't surprise me if he strolled it today.

There are many of us who have played in winter leagues knowing full well what is was like weather wise yesterday, and we never played for a million pounds nor flew back to our Florida villas.

Edited by SandyCromarty

On 02/10/2020 at 22:58, peasy23 said:

Spot on, a great Scottish Ambassador for the game which all started when his folks had a caravan up at Hopeman and he started out on the course there.

3 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing Robert Rock win today. 
Good guy, and truly magnificent hair

Aye he's one of the good guys.

One of the commentary team yesterday said he looks and plays like a golfer from the 70's.

9 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Aye he's one of the good guys.

One of the commentary team yesterday said he looks and plays like a golfer from the 70's.

In reasonable conditions, he generally wears a classic 70s style v neck. It's wonderful.

He's also a highly rated coach, and has been coaching guys like Wallace and Larrazabal, and Lee Westwood's recent improvement came after he joined up with him as well.

If he started working in the shop at a course, he would basically be the perfect example of an old-school pro.

ETA: the packages at his coaching academy are not bad prices considering he is still a well known tour pro - https://www.silvermere-golf.co.uk/golf/robert-rock-academy/

Edited by Mark Connolly