Golfers Thread

Gaz

Out for a round today for the final card to gain my handicap! Great front 9 of 39 ( 3 over ) back 9, A bit of a slog started par par then went a bit wayward ended up coming in in 46 so finished 85! Cards handed in are 83 85 88. My touch around the green has improved massively, been getting lessons on my short game and it’s helped out so much.

Slowed my backswing down as I was keeping the face far too open and was turning my wrists to correct on the downswing and I was railing right so that has helped me out a lot! Great seeing the progress out on the course but still missing too many putts for birdie/par but all in all I’m delighted with how I’ve taken to golf!

Also, to add to everyone else. I had an absolute stinker today. Was 5 off tee twice [emoji2356]
Ouch. Tbf I played with a 1 handicapper a few weeks back who was 5 off the tee at our 7th hole, his 3rd attempt was so far right he cleared the hazard he had put the first 2 in.

I topped an iron so badly on the 17th tee yesterday that for a heart stopping moment it looked like it might not even make it over the end of the tee box. I have no idea how the f**k I managed it. I somehow managed to make a bogey 4 from there.

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Ouch. Tbf I played with a 1 handicapper a few weeks back who was 5 off the tee at our 7th hole, his 3rd attempt was so far right he cleared the hazard he had put the first 2 in.

I topped an iron so badly on the 17th tee yesterday that for a heart stopping moment it looked like it might not even make it over the end of the tee box. I have no idea how the f**k I managed it. I somehow managed to make a bogey 4 from there.

Strange strange game. I made “pars” with my third ball on both occasions but the head was gone after the first. 

It is indeed a strange game. My mate made 4 miracle pars in succession last week.

5th hole topped a tee shot about 100 yards, played his second to 20 yards short of the green on to a downhill lie short sided and chipping over a bunker. Hit a fab chip to 10 feet and holes the putt.

6th hole. Tee shot into a green side bunker. Short sided again. Bunker shot hit the pin and stopped a foot away for a tap in par.

7th hole. Hit 2nd shot miles right of the green. Ball was in a bush about a foot off the ground. Played it from there and knocked it onto the green. Holed from 30 feet for another par.

8th hole. Topped another drive. On the green in 3 but on the wrong level of a two tier green. Holed from easily 40 feet. Unbelievable stuff. I played all four holes beautifully to half them all. [emoji23][emoji23]

2 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Out for a round today for the final card to gain my handicap! Great front 9 of 39 ( 3 over ) back 9, A bit of a slog started par par then went a bit wayward ended up coming in in 46 so finished 85! Cards handed in are 83 85 88. My touch around the green has improved massively, been getting lessons on my short game and it’s helped out so much.

Slowed my backswing down as I was keeping the face far too open and was turning my wrists to correct on the downswing and I was railing right so that has helped me out a lot! Great seeing the progress out on the course but still missing too many putts for birdie/par but all in all I’m delighted with how I’ve taken to golf!

Given you've misjudged the tone of the thread today, you can go and take a flying f**k to yourself.

Well done though.

On left- the scores as if a normal weekend tourny. On right, with the handicaps. Doesn’t really work for me. Still watching every minute but there must be a better way. Give top 3 a 3,2,1. Handicap maybe. 10 is too much. Wiped out half the field

from twitter account @VC606

777B7EB0-76A0-4495-B055-55F295AB7CF5.png

Edited by Tartan Dave

On left- the scores as if a normal weekend tourny. On right, with the handicaps. Doesn’t really work for me. Still watching every minute but there must be a better way. Give top 3 a 3,2,1. Handicap maybe. 10 is too much. Wiped out half the field

from twitter account @VC606
777B7EB0-76A0-4495-B055-55F295AB7CF5.thumb.png.cde118ea6d5020668d18404533701835.png
This was how it looked at the end of the round. It kind of disproves your point that DJ was playing "pretty average".

Schauffele playing well as he is unburdened of ne having backed him. We'll see what happens at the US Open when I stick a couple of quid on him.20200907_080339.jpg

5 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

This was how it looked at the end of the round. It kind of disproves your point that DJ was playing "pretty average".

Schauffele playing well as he is unburdened of ne having backed him. We'll see what happens at the US Open when I stick a couple of quid on him.20200907_080339.jpg

Aye he went on a hell of a run almost as soon as I’d sent that tweet! Still not convinced giving him 10 strokes on some in the field makes for the best tournament

Edited by Tartan Dave

31 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Think I read Schauffelle has never been over par for 18 on this course, played it a lot of times too. Would be a more interesting spectacle if there was a few within a few shots. Johnson can get away with a few bad shots today

Think I read Schauffelle has never been over par for 18 on this course, played it a lot of times too. Would be a more interesting spectacle if there was a few within a few shots. Johnson can get away with a few bad shots today

Yep, last night made it 15 out of 15 sub par rounds for him at East Lake in the Tour Championship.

Playing 54 holes tomorrow at Royal Musselburgh to raise money for Alzheimer's sufferers. Tee times at 8, 12 and 4 but have to be there for 7.15 am for a photo with the Alzheimer's rep. Gonna be a long day, but weather looks like it'll be ok.

Sitting about £350 raised atm, which my work have pledged to match. 8 of us doing this tomorrow and we're on course to raise a good few grand for this worthy cause.

I know @lichtie23 said he would like to chuck a couple of quid in. Link is in the spoiler below as I'm not sure about the forum rules on this. If it's removed, you can PM me if you would like to chip in.

Playing 54 holes tomorrow at Royal Musselburgh to raise money for Alzheimer's sufferers. Tee times at 8, 12 and 4 but have to be there for 7.15 am for a photo with the Alzheimer's rep. Gonna be a long day, but weather looks like it'll be ok.
Sitting about £350 raised atm, which my work have pledged to match. 8 of us doing this tomorrow and we're on course to raise a good few grand for this worthy cause.
I know [mention=9044]lichtie23[/mention] said he would like to chuck a couple of quid in. Link is in the spoiler below as I'm not sure about the forum rules on this. If it's removed, you can PM me if you would like to chip in.
Spoiler

Il get on that tonight. Good luck mate