Golfers Thread

Gaz

World no 2 shoots a best of the week 64 to set the clubhouse target. 

World no 1 forces a play off with a 40 odd footer on the 18th.

World no 2 wins play off with 60 odd foot monster putt on the first play off hole. 

Not a bad night's entertainment. 

Edited by Ro Sham Bo

Played Balmore in Glasgow last week, playing really nicely and a 6 over 40 through 9 on course for a best ever round for me, then absolutely launch it on the easier back 9 and end up an 18 over 50 for the back 9 for a 90. Absolutely seething.
Plying Royal Musselburgh today so hoping for more consistency.
I have a few mates up there iv never played it tho looks a nice course, I'm playing the Carrick today at 11 looking forward to it and should be playing Royal musselburgh in a couple of weeks

10 hours ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

Don't agree.   

Number 2 is an excellent risk-reward par 4.   You can score anything from 2-6 here.   
Number 3 is a great driving left- to-right hole.  
Number 4 is a great strategic left-to-right dogleg.  If you go right it's double bogey country.  
Number 5 has the best green on the course.   It must be 40 yards long but only 5 yard wide as it pinches mid-green.   The perfect green to receive wedge shots.   

I rate Royal Musselburgh as one of the best courses in the Lothians.   Better than The Musselburgh (Monktonhall GC)  and bettered only by Gullane 1, 2, Dunbar, Muirfield, Longniddry, Archerfield. Luffness New, The Renaissance, and on a par with Duddingston, Mortonhall and Royal Burgess.   

The Royal Burgess is definitely better than Musselburgh. As I say, it’s a nice enough course, but having bunkers worse than municipal standard isn’t acceptable IMO and in comparison to the Burgess it’s night and day.

I've had no real issues with the protocols in place since we got back playing, but the guidelines that Scottish Golf have agreed with the government around reopening locker rooms yesterday are baffling tbh. Here's the main bits below.

The general guidelines are-
*Locker rooms are accessible to members who have a locker only.
*Hand sanitiser before entry and after exit should be used.
*You must only touch your own locker and your own equipment.
*No changing of shoes or clothing is permitted in the locker rooms.
*Showers cannot be used.
*Face coverings within the locker rooms is recommended.
*All golf equipment should be stored in the locker.
*When moving through the locker rooms the one way systems indicated must be followed and social distance rules observed.
*The log book in the lounge should be signed.

The bit I'm really struggling to comprehend is the bit about changing shoes. If I decide to keep my shoes in my locker, I'm now supposed to go in, get my clubs and shoes out the locker, go outside to change my shoes, then go back in and put my dress shoes back in the locker. I'm already touching my locker to get the clubs out, I would't he touching anything that is communal to change my shoes.

Just back from a wee holiday on the north coast in which I took in a couple of courses.

Nairn Dunbar on Monday with my dad was a treat. Really enjoyed it and thanks to a reciprocal agreement with Newmachar, got on for a great price of £25. Helps that I played really well and brushed my old man aside 4&2. Took the lead with a birdie (holed the putt below) at the lovely par 3 3rd and never lost it from then on. Was holding my score together really well with some nice putting and was 1 over par teeing off at the 9th. I thought the best holes on the course were 9 and 10 but they proved to be my downfall with a lost ball at 9 and a ball in the burn at 10. 18 as well was a cracking closing hole. Course was playing pretty firm with a steady breeze throughout but glorious sunshine so really couldn't have hoped for a better day. Thought the only think lacking from the course was a view of the sea which its slightly more illustrious neighbour at Nairn has in abundance.

IMG_20200831_144109.thumb.jpg.bbdb5b4a7559123e745e71cd50e898f5.jpg

That was going to be that for the golf but we were due to leave our accommodation in Nairn by 10am this morning and I didn't really fancy wasting the day so had a look at Moray GC as it's on the way home and realised the New course was going for £30 a round for a single. Was very windy which made it very challenging and the course was playing even firmer than Nairn Dunbar. Played the front 9 quite nicely in a couple over par but a couple of balls into the gorse early on the back 9 and I stopped counting my score. Must admit, I didn't like it as much as Nairn Dunbar. Thought a few holes were a bit uninteresting and, with gorse flanking both fairways on most of the holes, you really can't afford to go far offline or it's a lost ball. I don't mind gorse to an extent, but it's absolutely the defining hazard of this course. I also thought it lacked a stellar par 3. They all felt pretty short and fairly easy, I played them in 1 under par. Best holes for me were the 7th, long par 4 with bunkers framing a narrow area of fairway to thread your drive through, and 18 which is an excellent closing hole. The strong helping win and rock hard fairways meant I only had 60 yards into the 421yd 18th, meaning my 3 wood must have gone about 360yds 🤣. All in all, a great round in lovely weather, particularly at that price, but not sure I'd play it again at full price.

IMG_20200903_132651.thumb.jpg.e02afd826e6c80581795ac28d628db83.jpg

Just back from a wee holiday on the north coast in which I took in a couple of courses.
Nairn Dunbar on Monday with my dad was a treat. Really enjoyed it and thanks to a reciprocal agreement with Newmachar, got on for a great price of £25. Helps that I played really well and brushed my old man aside 4&2. Took the lead with a birdie (holed the putt below) at the lovely par 3 3rd and never lost it from then on. Was holding my score together really well with some nice putting and was 1 over par teeing off at the 9th. I thought the best holes on the course were 9 and 10 but they proved to be my downfall with a lost ball at 9 and a ball in the burn at 10. 18 as well was a cracking closing hole. Course was playing pretty firm with a steady breeze throughout but glorious sunshine so really couldn't have hoped for a better day. Thought the only think lacking from the course was a view of the sea which its slightly more illustrious neighbour at Nairn has in abundance.
IMG_20200831_144109.thumb.jpg.bbdb5b4a7559123e745e71cd50e898f5.jpg
That was going to be that for the golf but we were due to leave our accommodation in Nairn by 10am this morning and I didn't really fancy wasting the day so had a look at Moray GC as it's on the way home and realised the New course was going for £30 a round for a single. Was very windy which made it very challenging and the course was playing even firmer than Nairn Dunbar. Played the front 9 quite nicely in a couple over par but a couple of balls into the gorse early on the back 9 and I stopped counting my score. Must admit, I didn't like it as much as Nairn Dunbar. Thought a few holes were a bit uninteresting and, with gorse flanking both fairways on most of the holes, you really can't afford to go far offline or it's a lost ball. I don't mind gorse to an extent, but it's absolutely the defining hazard of this course. I also thought it lacked a stellar par 3. They all felt pretty short and fairly easy, I played them in 1 under par. Best holes for me were the 7th, long par 4 with bunkers framing a narrow area of fairway to thread your drive through, and 18 which is an excellent closing hole. The strong helping win and rock hard fairways meant I only had 60 yards into the 421yd 18th, meaning my 3 wood must have gone about 360yds 🤣. All in all, a great round in lovely weather, particularly at that price, but not sure I'd play it again at full price.
IMG_20200903_132651.thumb.jpg.e02afd826e6c80581795ac28d628db83.jpg

We recently played Moray Old and New plus Nairn Dunbar over a 3 day period. Really enjoyed all 3 but Moray Old the pick of the three for me-probably influenced by the fact I played as well as I have done for years that day. Really enjoyed Nairn Dunbar too. Had 3 birdies including two 2s. A great few days golf.

I just checked the leaderboard of the Tour Championship and thought Johnson and Ram were on course to go round in 55 until I remembered the daft scoring system they use for this.
I was confused by the course, the 18th was always the uphill par 3 over the water, but it seems they have switched the front and back 9s around. I'm guessing they think having a reachable par 5 as the last hole makes for a more exciting finish.

On 03/09/2020 at 22:49, Distant Doonhamer said:

We recently played Moray Old and New plus Nairn Dunbar over a 3 day period. Really enjoyed all 3 but Moray Old the pick of the three for me-probably influenced by the fact I played as well as I have done for years that day. Really enjoyed Nairn Dunbar too. Had 3 birdies including two 2s. A great few days golf.

Yeh, based on what I saw of the Old as the New meandered through the land, it looked like a more interesting layout. The 18th looked like a mad finishing hole. The new was a nice course with lovely views of the lighthouse, just found some of the holes a bit forgettable and, like I said, thought the par 3s were a bit too short and easy.

Yeh, based on what I saw of the Old as the New meandered through the land, it looked like a more interesting layout. The 18th looked like a mad finishing hole. The new was a nice course with lovely views of the lighthouse, just found some of the holes a bit forgettable and, like I said, thought the par 3s were a bit too short and easy.

Aye the 18th on Moray Old is a cracker of a finishing hole. As stated I played really well that day and got a par on 18 after a good drive and a cracking 3 wood to the green. My second shot even got some applause from the guys cutting the grass at one of the hotels next to the course. [emoji23] [emoji2]

13 hours ago, peasy23 said:
13 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
I just checked the leaderboard of the Tour Championship and thought Johnson and Ram were on course to go round in 55 until I remembered the daft scoring system they use for this.

I was confused by the course, the 18th was always the uphill par 3 over the water, but it seems they have switched the front and back 9s around. I'm guessing they think having a reachable par 5 as the last hole makes for a more exciting finish.

Yeah it must be that. Didn't see the start of the broadcast so never heard them mention anything about it on commentary. 

I'm not much of a fan of a par 3 18th hole so won't complain about this. 

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Aye the 18th on Moray Old is a cracker of a finishing hole. As stated I played really well that day and got a par on 18 after a good drive and a cracking 3 wood to the green. My second shot even got some applause from the guys cutting the grass at one of the hotels next to the course. emoji23.png emoji2.png

Played the old course 2 or 3 times and the 18th is a great hole. Always a bit of a pressure on the approach shot with everything overlooking the green.