Golfers Thread

Gaz

35 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

85 in the medal today emoji23.png At least that puts me up to 7. About the only consolation from a clusterfuck of a performance, that and a highly satisfying birdie on 15.

I went through to Alyth afterwards to try out some Ping demo irons. The difference between the i500s and my own musclebacks was ridiculous. 5-PW set duly ordered.

I opened with a 9 this morning then birdied the next 3. First time I've ever birdied 3 in a row in a medal.

I then proceeded to shit myself again and missed buffer by a considerable distance. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stupid fucking game.

Our comp was cancelled today after they had to take some emergency remedial action to some of the greens which had become saturated with all the midweek rain.

Still played a social round, and it was one if those strange ones where i felt i was playing shite but carded a decent score, 2 over my handicap. Putter saved me a few times, holed a load of 10-12 footers.

Got fitted for my P770s today and I’m in love, the first time I’ve ever hit a forged iron and the feel is unbelievable. The distances I was getting from them was staggering. I’m quite a long hitter of a ball but my aliment can be a bit off but the altered that so my miss left is more central... something to do with a plus and minus!

They arrive in October and I can’t wait to get out on the course with them!!!

Played Balmore in Glasgow last week, playing really nicely and a 6 over 40 through 9 on course for a best ever round for me, then absolutely launch it on the easier back 9 and end up an 18 over 50 for the back 9 for a 90. Absolutely seething.

Plying Royal Musselburgh today so hoping for more consistency.

Is there anything more frustrating than a putt on 18 lipping out when if it had dropped it would have brought your handicap down by 0.3 ? Well I had that pleasure yesterday!

Yep hugely frustrating. I had a putt lip out on 18 yesterday which has it dropped would have meant I made the buffer zone. Another 0.1 increase for me as a result.

Yep hugely frustrating. I had a putt lip out on 18 yesterday which has it dropped would have meant I made the buffer zone. Another 0.1 increase for me as a result.

Looking back on my round the 3 putt on the 10th didn’t help. Or fatting my approach to 17 leaving it 75 yards short.

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Played Balmore in Glasgow last week, playing really nicely and a 6 over 40 through 9 on course for a best ever round for me, then absolutely launch it on the easier back 9 and end up an 18 over 50 for the back 9 for a 90. Absolutely seething.

Balmore is a nice enough course, but a few too many shared fairways for my liking

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Both decent courses although Royal Musselburgh is better.    Really good bunkering at about 250 off most tees and a big castle of a clubhouse.  

I've played quite a bit at Royal Musselburgh recently. Clubhouse is thie best thing about it imo. Some of the bunkers have no sand in them and it's like hitting off a cart path.

It's certainly not the worst course, but a lot of the holes, particularly early in the round, are very samey.

What a wonderfully frustrating and addictive game it is

Yep. More frustration for me today. Hit the ball really well and had a very respectable 35 Stableford points. Holed a good eight footer for par on the first and thereafter putted poorly. Three putted from about 8 feet on 16th for a bogey and then missed a two foot par putt on 18 after playing a really excellent chip from an awkward lie. Couple of other 3 putts too. Should have had a nice cut today. Chance missed.

5 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Balmore is a nice enough course, but a few too many shared fairways for my liking

I don’t remember many, but there is one that is genuinely dangerous where it directly crosses another hole at a 90 degree angle where people are playing from a blind spot right onto the fairway. Not even a bell or anything to let people know you’re there is farcical.

4 hours ago, Beth Paige-Black said:

Both decent courses although Royal Musselburgh is better.    Really good bunkering at about 250 off most tees and a big castle of a clubhouse.  

4 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I've played quite a bit at Royal Musselburgh recently. Clubhouse is thie best thing about it imo. Some of the bunkers have no sand in them and it's like hitting off a cart path.

It's certainly not the worst course, but a lot of the holes, particularly early in the round, are very samey.

Shot 92 and was quite disappointed with that. Nice enough course, but as you say the bunkers are a bit of a joke tbh. Better bunkers on a lot of municipal courses.

19 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I don’t remember many, but there is one that is genuinely dangerous where it directly crosses another hole at a 90 degree angle where people are playing from a blind spot right onto the fairway. Not even a bell or anything to let people know you’re there is farcical.

Shot 92 and was quite disappointed with that. Nice enough course, but as you say the bunkers are a bit of a joke tbh. Better bunkers on a lot of municipal courses.

There was certainly a bell there any time I played it, but I know a few courses have removed bells from use at the moment

45 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

There was certainly a bell there any time I played it, but I know a few courses have removed bells from use at the moment

There were bells on a couple of the other holes so they haven’t taken them away I don’t think. Might be I’ve missed it, but I remember having a look around as I thought it was a bit of a ridiculous crossover.