Golfers Thread

Gaz

DHD - Direct Golf in Dundee.

I've just been out for my first round with them. I shot an 89 - finally breaking 90 on my home course, obviously recording my best score there.

The new irons were brilliant. Having them fitted has really helped - I make a much better connection with the ball, and that gave my a lot more confidence for going for those longer shots. One example - I didn't catch my tee shot quite right on the 15th, leaving myself far shorter than I would have liked, to the left and in some rough. Normally in that position I'd have dinked the ball into the fairway about 40 yards short of the green - there is a burn and a bit of a hill on the approach.

Instead I pulled out the 4 hybrid and caught it beautifully - soaring it on to the green.

Really enjoyed my round today, although disappointed I didn't go a couple of shots better. On the 16th and 17th - both par 3's - I took a 4 and a 5.

If I could pitch properly from within 30 yards of the green I'd be dangerous. I probably dropped 4 or 5 shots with dodgy little chips from within that range that, instead of giving myself a putting chance, I left myself either chipping again or put it out the back of the green. Any tips in that regard more than welcome.

Nice to hear you are hitting the T9+ irons well and now I don't feel bad about recommending them. I'm certainly enjoying playing with them and I am out hitting alot of my partners in competitions off the tee using the 3 hybrid.

I got my set also from Direct Golf though the Edinburgh branch.

Now just waiting on my new Yonex driver to arrive to see if I can sort that part of my game out.

Just started using a Ping G5 Driver, after having to get rid of my Cobra one as it's banned. However, I couldn't hit the thing straight for love nor money. I was connecting with the ball beautifully, but every shot off the tee was going way way way right. Any ideas how to stop this? Grip, stance, tempo?

I too have the G5 driver and also had trouble hitting it straight at the beginning. I know this might sound bizarre, but try teeing the ball lower than usual, it worked for me. To be honest I think I was hitting across the ball making it slice but when I tee'd it up lower than normal I didn't seem to create as much of the slice than usual. I also watched a couple of videos on Youtube, mainly on my stance, and I managed to get myself sorted out, but I am far from being perfect and still could do with a lesson to see where I am going wrong, will explain more below. I hope that makes sense.

Right onto scoring. I was off work last week and the tail end of the week before and the weather was great for the majority of it. I played more golf in this time than I have done in the last 2 years combined. Anyway, I thought I'd take a scorecard and count every shot for 3 full rounds and then compare. The last time I played in a medal competition my handicap was 17 so I used this number to get my net score at the end. I played 2 balls, Titleist 1 & Titlest 4 playing the 2 balls against each other. The course was pretty quiet so I took my time and tried to concentrate every shot (1 shot at a time and all that). I've been going out after work and playing the odd 9 holes here and there, practicing my chipping and putting so I felt relatively warmed up.

Anyway onto the important part, scoring:

Round 1:

Titleist 1 - 88 (-17 Net: 71)

Titleist 4 - 92 (Net: 75)

Round 2:

Titleist 1 - 84 (Net: 67)

Titleist 4 - 89 (Net: 72)

Round 3:

Titleist 1 - 85 (Net: 68)

Titleist 4 - 82 (Net: 65)

So all in there was a slight improvement each round, played over the course of a week. Round 1 was Tuesday, Round 2 Thursday and Round 3 Friday.

Clubs performance varied. Driver: As mentioned above, I seem to be cutting across the ball creating a slice, but on the odd occasion hit a cracker but can't seem to get it working every drive. One drive out of 4 I seem to hit perfect. I know I'm doing something wrong but until I can afford to get a lesson I'm just going to have to persist with the Youtube stuff.

Irons: Short irons are pretty much spot on, especially my SW, PW & 9I, from 100 yards to 65 yards I was hitting it 15ft/10ft from the flag with the odd one going a little bit further right than where I was aiming. It's the low numbers I struggle with, 3I, 4I. I just seem to be missing that sweet spot area and hit a horrible slice shot, but like the driver, on the odd occasion I hit a peach. There is nothing better than hitting the ball right on the sweet spot and watching it sail exactly to where you wanted it to go haha.

Chipping: Rusty is probably the word here. It's all about touch and 3 out of 5 chips were probably hit too firm, with a couple being perfect giving me tap in putts.

Putting: Always been the strongest part of my game and I've never really had any real issues with it. I really should have counted my putts (completely forgot) but will do this next time. I get really annoyed with myself if I three putt any holes and I only did this a handful of times over the 3 rounds so I'm not really worried about my putting at all. I'll count my putts the next time I'm out.

So all in all I'm quite happy with myself as there is a steady improvement each day. I plan to keep this sort of thing going until the end of the golf season, practice at the driving range over the winter and then get right back into the medal competitions etc next season. Hopefully a wee lesson will help me iron out my slicing etc.

This is a great wee thread, my 2nd love after football the golf.

ETA: Spelling and grammar.

Edited by Ayr_United_1910

Right onto scoring. I was off work last week and the tail end of the week before and the weather was great for the majority of it. I played more golf in this time than I have done in the last 2 years combined. Anyway, I thought I'd take a scorecard and count every shot for 3 full rounds and then compare. The last time I played in a medal competition my handicap was 17 so I used this number to get my net score at the end. I played 2 balls, Titleist 1 & Titlest 4 playing the 2 balls against each other. The course was pretty quiet so I took my time and tried to concentrate every shot (1 shot at a time and all that). I've been going out after work and playing the odd 9 holes here and there, practicing my chipping and putting so I felt relatively warmed up.

Anyway onto the important part, scoring:

Round 1:

Titleist 1 - 88 (-17 Net: 71)

Titleist 4 - 92 (Net: 75)

Round 2:

Titleist 1 - 84 (Net: 67)

Titleist 4 - 89 (Net: 72)

Round 3:

Titleist 1 - 85 (Net: 68)

Titleist 4 - 82 (Net: 65)

So all in there was a slight improvement each round, played over the course of a week. Round 1 was Tuesday, Round 2 Thursday and Round 3 Friday.

I don't know many 17 handicappers who can go 108 holes without losing a ball - impressive!

Managed an 88 today. Had it not been for some shocking putting (three putted five times - four of which included a miss from within four feet) and a bit of bad luck (par putt on the fifth, SI 1 on the course, stopping about 1/2 inch from the hole) I could easily have been down at 84, which would be a bogey round at my course (par is 66).

Hopefully keep up the improvements next week.

Managed an 88 today. Had it not been for some shocking putting (three putted five times - four of which included a miss from within four feet) and a bit of bad luck (par putt on the fifth, SI 1 on the course, stopping about 1/2 inch from the hole) I could easily have been down at 84, which would be a bogey round at my course (par is 66).

Hopefully keep up the improvements next week.

The double snowman...

I don't know many 17 handicappers who can go 108 holes without losing a ball - impressive!

What can I say my caddie experiences looking for balls has made me an eagle eye when it comes to finding the strays. Don't think for a minute that I waltzed round the course keeping everything right up the middle.

Managed to get 3 rounds under my belt since Ive been here. First round was three putts galore at Springfield Country Club and ended up with 80 (+10) which I was relatively happy with given how poorly I played.

Next I played Paxon Hollow with the course pro and another guy I know out here. Unfortunately they gave me an old set of bladed irons to use which I didn't get the hang of at all and ended up having an 8, a 7 and a 6 on my card for the front 9 - finishing with a pretty poor 82 (+11).

Played Paxon again yesterday and despite getting up and down from 120 yards for a double bogey at the first, and 3 putting the last, I finished with a 78 (+7).

Really does feel strange using a different set of clubs, think I'll pay the excess and take my own next year. Good to get a few games to keep my eye in, however.

Cowshed, it's worth looking at the small print in your flight details. I went to Florida last year with Virgin and buried away in the details was the fact that on top of your 23kg luggage allowance you also had a 23kg sporting baggage allowance too.

Wonder why they try to keep that quiet?

Edited by KnightswoodBear

Cowshed, it's worth looking at the small print in your flight details. I went to Florida last year with Virgin and buried away in the details was the fact that on top of your 23kg luggage allowance you also had a 23kg sporting baggage allowance too.

Wonder why they try to keep that quiet?

If BA do this I will be very annoyed!