Golfers Thread

Gaz

Coltart laying in to him on the sky coverage for his interview, after DJ gave the impression he didn't really care about breaking 60.

DJ’s not very bright. It actually serves him well in some respects but he doesn’t seem to get the history making bit. His interviews reflect his personality in that they’re deadly dull. 

Edit to add a least he’s not a c**t like DeChambeau or Reed.

Played in a Stableford competition today. A measly 14 points for the front 9 and then no points on the 10th. Looking very like another 0.1 increase but then scored 19 points in the last 8 holes to make the buffer zone. Great up and down for a par at the last knowing had to make it to buffer so very pleased. CSS was 72 to a par of 71 so my 33 points just buffering.

Stupid game. 13 holes of assorted shite today before getting my first par of the day on the tricky par 3 14th. Then reeled off 3 more in a row, with an up and down from 95 yards on the par 5 15th for my 5. Just couldn't get going this morning, played the first 13 holes in 25 over par, then the last 5 in 2 over with a double bogey on 18 being the only slip up in the last few holes.

Round Kingennie (Par 68) in 86 this evening. Best hit around there, and left shots out there. Striking my long irons well but struggling on the greens unfortunately. Back at St Michaels tomorrow so hopefully hit it well there as well

Frustrating season for me so far... handicap has went from 5.4 to 6.0, highest I've been for almost 3 years which is disappointing. Hitting the ball consistently well but making far too many double bogeys, generally out of nothing caused by stupid mistakes.

Managed buffer with a double and an 8 on my card last Wednesday and buffer again on the Saturday without holing anything from outside 4 ft (literally). Took a week off the competitive stuff and played 9 holes in +2 today (with a double at the easiest hole on the course), putted well so hoping to build on that next week.

Is the worldwide handicap system coming in for 2021 right enough? If so, I do wonder what my handicap will end up with the season I've had!

Frustrating season for me so far... handicap has went from 5.4 to 6.0, highest I've been for almost 3 years which is disappointing. Hitting the ball consistently well but making far too many double bogeys, generally out of nothing caused by stupid mistakes.

Managed buffer with a double and an 8 on my card last Wednesday and buffer again on the Saturday without holing anything from outside 4 ft (literally). Took a week off the competitive stuff and played 9 holes in +2 today (with a double at the easiest hole on the course), putted well so hoping to build on that next week.

Is the worldwide handicap system coming in for 2021 right enough? If so, I do wonder what my handicap will end up with the season I've had!

Already in place in some countries and is being implemented in the UK from November

Already in place in some countries and is being implemented in the UK from November
If my understanding is correct, each course will have a slope rating which your handicap index will be used alongside in order to get your score. Presumably this means that the conditions on the day will not be taken into account?
My course is a par 68, SSS 69 but the CSS fairly commonly goes to 70 which seemingly would be unadjusted in the new system. Is that correct?

What are the overall feelings on the new system? I think it will take away alot of enjoyment from competitive golf. When playing poorly you might know you need to play the last 5 in +1 for buffer which gives you something to aim for. Or knowing that a par at the last is good for a cut. That side of the game will be completely lost.

Not being a member of a course I have no official handicap. I use the Golfshake app and the handicap that gives me. Iv got mixed feelings about the WHS after reading up on it. I don’t play competitive golf so wouldn’t see my handicap being cut at all. But in the States every round you play go’s into your handicap, even just a knock about with your mates. I think you have to declare it before teeing off

1 hour ago, Cowshed Chris said:

If my understanding is correct, each course will have a slope rating which your handicap index will be used alongside in order to get your score. Presumably this means that the conditions on the day will not be taken into account?
My course is a par 68, SSS 69 but the CSS fairly commonly goes to 70 which seemingly would be unadjusted in the new system. Is that correct?

What are the overall feelings on the new system? I think it will take away alot of enjoyment from competitive golf. When playing poorly you might know you need to play the last 5 in +1 for buffer which gives you something to aim for. Or knowing that a par at the last is good for a cut. That side of the game will be completely lost.

I had a look at what mine might be and the basic index isn't far off what I am now. Ithink the course rating (as opposed to the slope rating) can still change based on conditions, similar to the way CSS works at the moment.

You can get semi-recent slope and course ratings from www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html, then bang your scores into this calculator. https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html

In terms of competitive golf, it might take away the "fight for buffer", but also means that every round matters, and doesn't just become +0.1 if you have a shambles down the first or lose a ball halfway round

I had a look at what mine might be and the basic index isn't far off what I am now. Ithink the course rating (as opposed to the slope rating) can still change based on conditions, similar to the way CSS works at the moment.
You can get semi-recent slope and course ratings from www.popeofslope.com/scotland/courseratings.html, then bang your scores into this calculator. https://www.calculator.net/golf-handicap-calculator.html
In terms of competitive golf, it might take away the "fight for buffer", but also means that every round matters, and doesn't just become +0.1 if you have a shambles down the first or lose a ball halfway round
Where did you read that about the course rating being able to change? This is something I've been looking for but can't find a straight answer which leads me to believe it is static as, I believe, slope ratings are in America?

I'm amazed more folk aren't talking about it in general. In fact, I get the sense that about half of club golfers don't know it's happening

Just now, Cowshed Chris said:

Where did you read that about the course rating being able to change? This is something I've been looking for but can't find a straight answer which leads me to believe it is static as, I believe, slope ratings are in America?

I'm amazed more folk aren't talking about it in general. In fact, I get the sense that about half of club golfers don't know it's happening

I take it back slightly - it's not the course rating that changings, but the handicap committee can apply an adjustment based on course conditions.

https://www.whs.com/articles/2019/playing-conditions-calculation.html

Barring something miraculous on the last two holes, Connor Syme has let this week's tourney slip after leading after the first 3 rounds, and being tied for the lead going into the back 9. He recovered from an early double bogey but two bogeys and a 3 putt par on the 15th have left him 3 behind. 2 good holes should see him finish in the top 10 on this UK swing and get him a US Open spot.

Great up and down on 17 for par, but an utter disaster on 18. Found the bunker off the tee, then made a huge blunder by not finding the fairway with his bunker shot. Left himself a tough shot from the rough which he thrashed at a bit and found the water. Ended up with a 7 which dropped him to T8th next to Calum Hill. Syme holds on to his US Open spot, Sebastian Soderberg was also in the top 10 on the US Open list, but an 8 on the laat drops him right down to 22nd with Justin Harding claiming 10th spot.

8 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Great up and down on 17 for par, but an utter disaster on 18. Found the bunker off the tee, then made a huge blunder by not finding the fairway with his bunker shot. Left himself a tough shot from the rough which he thrashed at a bit and found the water. Ended up with a 7 which dropped him to T8th next to Calum Hill. Syme holds on to his US Open spot, Sebastian Soderberg was also in the top 10 on the US Open list, but an 8 on the laat drops him right down to 22nd with Justin Harding claiming 10th spot.

A good effort from Syme claiming a US open place but you wonder what effect the last two weeks will have on him being able to close out a tournament if he gets a chance in the future. 

18 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

The shot into the water on 18 by Syme was an absolute shocker. Well done to him for making the US Open.

Soderberg standing over his 3rd knowing a birdie puts him into a play off for the tournament as you say takes a disastrous 8 and loses his US open spot. Ouch.