Golfers Thread

Gaz

Some interesting (or not) stats of mine, since I was given my handicap - 27, although I've no idea why it wasn't 28.

Before my lessons started:

Number of rounds: 8

Mean score: 108.125

Standard deviation: 2.99702

Since my lessons started:

Number of rounds: 5

Mean score: 114

Standard deviation: 10.93161

I've excluded one score from the stats since my lessons started, as it was in a medal, where two of the par 4s rise to par 5 and the par goes up from 69 to 71.

The consistency is where I'm struggling with - standard deviation is a measure of consistency around the mean, and the lower number the more consistent (better). It's went up by 8 points :lol:

First round after my lesson was 129, a nightmare, but then rounds of 106 and 101 made me think I was going on the right track. However I then had my second lesson and through various circumstances haven't been out much since, meaning the two rounds I've played have been 116 and 118.

Stupid question number 11 of 1000:

Is it possible for the first while to be satisfied with just doing a half to three-quarters swing? When I used to play, I was reasonably accurate by doing this but could not progress to a full swing.

I know I can work on this over time but am I better starting to look at this now?

My favourite golfer, still is one of the biggest hitters in the world with a 1/2 swing. Timing, clug lag, a powerful grip and solid posture creates length, not overswinging.

Edited by bubbling

Hopefully get out for my first round in a fortnight tomorrow. Got a new driver - goes with my woods and replaces an awful £15 driver I got in sports direct. Took it to the range yesterday and couldn't believe my slice completely disappeared with it! Hope I can get close to a 90 tomorrow.

I'm walking off the course as we speak :lol:

The selfishness of some golfers does my box in. Stuck behind a guy playing three practice balls. Took me an hour to play three holes, putting me in a foul mood, so my game's went to pot. Honestly think I'd be better at this sport if I didn't have to share a course with utter c***s.

The selfishness of some golfers does my box in. Stuck behind a guy playing three practice balls. Took me an hour to play three holes, putting me in a foul mood, so my game's went to pot. Honestly think I'd be better at this sport if I didn't have to share a course with utter c***s.

I don't understand this. I used to wave loads of people to play through and was relieved when they did because it meant they weren't queuing up behind me watching how shite I was.

I'd be putting(!) in a complaint if I were you.

I could probably offer pages of advice to the posters who have asked questions over the last couple of pages, but the only advice I am going to offer someone starting the game is this;

- Forget what other people may think of you and your ability

- At least 70% of your practice time should be spent on the short game (50 yards in and putting)

- Get a series of lessons with a qualified PGA pro - these are the only people you should be taking swing / grip / technical advice from at the moment, not books, dvds or people on an internet forum. Once the pro has taught you the correct basics and you have a decent handicap then you might want to seek advice from other sources, but personally I don't see why you would.

- Work on your mental game from day one. The number of golfers, especially high handicappers, who talk or think themselves into a bad shot or score, without even realising they're doing it, never fails to amaze me. A 28 handicapper could become a 20 handicapper easily by changing the way they think without making any technical changes or improvement. For starters, I recommend a Bob Rotella book, maybe Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. It will also help you in day-to-day life as well as golf.

- Get decent equipment but don't get hung up over whether one driver is marginally better than another, at least not at this stage. When I say decent equipment I specifically mean nothing from Sports Direct or Donnay equipment, it is very poor quality.

Oh, and a handicap of 18 in 18 months is achievable if you follow the above.

Edited by mid-table

I could probably offer pages of advice to the posters who have asked questions over the last couple of pages, but the only advice I am going to offer someone starting the game is this;

- Forget what other people may think of you and your ability

- At least 70% of your practice time should be spent on the short game (50 yards in and putting)

- Get a series of lessons with a qualified PGA pro - these are the only people you should be taking swing / grip / technical advice from at the moment, not books, dvds or people on an internet forum. Once the pro has taught you the correct basics and you have a decent handicap then you might want to seek advice from other sources, but personally I don't see why you would.

- Work on your mental game from day one. The number of golfers, especially high handicappers, who talk or think themselves into a bad shot or score, without even realising they're doing it, never fails to amaze me. A 28 handicapper could become a 20 handicapper easily by changing the way they think without making any technical changes or improvement. For starters, I recommend a Bob Rotella book, maybe Golf Is Not A Game Of Perfect. It will also help you in day-to-day life as well as golf.

- Get decent equipment but don't get hung up over whether one driver is marginally better than another, at least not at this stage. When I say decent equipment I specifically mean nothing from Sports Direct or Donnay equipment, it is very poor quality.

Oh, and a handicap of 18 in 18 months is achievable if you follow the above.

Agree completely re short game practice.

Got to agree re Rotella's book as above. A real help to my game. I spent 2 or 3 seasons stuck on handicap of 11-12 and had a real mental block which stopped me achieving a long held ambition to be single figures. Book really helped me and got down to 9 soon after I read it.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

There was a P&B golf day a few years ago, before I played. Would be great to get along to one if there's ever a repeat.

It was a great day out, it never took off again the following year for some reason and it's been dead in the water since. I'd be up for it again, but we'd need to get some kind of deposit going to try and ensure folk turn up.

It was a great day out, it never took off again the following year for some reason and it's been dead in the water since. I'd be up for it again, but we'd need to get some kind of deposit going to try and ensure folk turn up.

Aye that was a cracking day, only let down by the fact that i couldn't drink and had to f**k off at 8pm-ish leaving you lot to get pished :lol:

I couldn't do the 2010 effort as i was fucked with an injury and it kind of died on it's arse with a few people on holiday, working shifts etc etc.

If we do another one, May would probably be a better time of year as June is the P&B fives and July and August are a holiday-time clusterfuck.

Got a round in this afternoon - shot a 93, which is better than my last couple of efforts. Disappointed though as I should really have been under 90. I needed a par 4 on the last for a 90 and hit a 7. Just couldn't get going with anything shorter than a 7 iron - continually shanking them and taking 2/3 shots when I should have been getting on the green with one from the middle of a fairway.

Big bonus was the new driver I was playing with. If you slice your driver a lot take a look at the John Letters T9+ driver. I only sliced it once all day, and even then it only went 4/5 yards off the fairway to the right.

Mostly though it was sailing long and straight. I was hitting maybe 40/50 yards longer than I normally would with a three wood off the tee and mostly getting it right down the middle. Unfortunately I wasn't really able to hook that together with decent approach play to put in a really good score.

BTW, anyone who wants to take on the mantle of arranging a new P&B golf day would have my full backing!

Got a round in this afternoon - shot a 93, which is better than my last couple of efforts. Disappointed though as I should really have been under 90. I needed a par 4 on the last for a 90 and hit a 7. Just couldn't get going with anything shorter than a 7 iron - continually shanking them and taking 2/3 shots when I should have been getting on the green with one from the middle of a fairway.

Big bonus was the new driver I was playing with. If you slice your driver a lot take a look at the John Letters T9+ driver. I only sliced it once all day, and even then it only went 4/5 yards off the fairway to the right.

Mostly though it was sailing long and straight. I was hitting maybe 40/50 yards longer than I normally would with a three wood off the tee and mostly getting it right down the middle. Unfortunately I wasn't really able to hook that together with decent approach play to put in a really good score.

BTW, anyone who wants to take on the mantle of arranging a new P&B golf day would have my full backing!

As i'll be playing again next year, I'd be happy to organise it again. Although getting agreement on dates was a fucking nightmare :lol:

I think this time i'll also be asking for non-refundable deposits to "encourage" folk not to drop out. However if anyone else wishes to take it on, batter in.

Having been stateside for a week and a half and only managing to get to the driving range once, I think I am having major withdrawal symptoms from the lack of golf.

Have managed to organise a game for Friday at a local course and may possibly have a game sorted at Aronimink (Home of AT&T National) for Monday. Either way, can't wait to get out on the course tomorrow, albeit my cousins clubs that cost him $60 12 years ago may take a bit of getting used to

I did the same last time I played (down at Linn Park in Glasgow). Took well over three and a half hours to complete 13 holes as I was stuck behind two groups of three. I'm a very quick golfer - it would have taken them five minutes to let me through. Wasn't just this though; at one green (the 12th), they stood right off the edge of the green, instead of on the 13th tee. Consequently I had to aim my pitch right, and it ended up off the green. (I parred, but that's no comfort as I was pin-high). Chucked it after that hole.

Unbelievable.

Hope my fellow golfers had a nice weekend. A wee progress report on "Day One of Learning to Play Golf".

Right, I headed down to the driving range on Friday to see the state of my swing.

About 90% of my shots were dead straight and I was creating a little bit of draw as well. Here's how I fared with the distances....

PW = 100 yrds

9 iron = 110 yrds

7 iron = 120 yrds

5 iron = 135 yrds

These were all off the tee. I hit half my balls from off the tee and distances went down by about 10 yards per shot.

I tried 4 balls with a driver (it would have been rude not to) and they were all complete duffs. Don't think I need a driver in my life right now and will work my way up to this club over the next year. Maybe buy myself a nice one for my birthday in March.

As for my swing, these were all done with a HALF swing. I was really only at the range to work on my grip and address (following a read of a golf book).

Going to build up to a THREE QUARTER swing over the next few weeks.

Most of all, I really enjoyed my time. My sizeable midriff and my hands were a little stiff the next day but feel OK now. I trust this is normal, considering my aversion to exercise.

I would really welcome (as always) comments from others on my 'achievements' on the range i.e. whether this was positive or a waste of time. Any further advice on what to do next, or indeed whether I should just keep doing what I did on Friday, would be welcomed.