Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 hours ago, Diamond. Dave said:

I have just recently started playing golf. Having took to it somewhat late in life I'm decent enough for a beginner. I hit the ball pretty straight, good with irons and at putting but the main problem I'm having is my driving off the tee. I hit the ball quite flat and on tee shots I'm not getting the right mix of height and power. Usually my drives are too low. I've even started using my iron to tee off and my drives with a 3 wood are a bit better. Any tips would be appreciated! 

I wouldn't worry overly about that. Driver is a difficult club for experienced golfers let alone beginners, especially getting the height you're talking about. It's a bit of a different technique in that you're trying to hit slightly up on the ball rather than down on it as you would with other clubs.

When I was a beginner I just carried a 4 wood and used that off the tee until I was of a reasonable enough standard that I got a driver.

Understand it's fun to hit the driver but if I was in your position I'd just go with the 3 wood and irons, see how you're getting on and once you feel like you've maxed out that strategy, maybe get a lesson in driving from a professional? Or if you want to keep hitting the driver, maybe just go straight for a lesson. A one hour lesson with a professional would be plenty to set you on the right track and give you something to work on.

Scotland's Gemma Dryburgh won at Royal St. George's yesterday to become the first professional women golfer ever to win a tournament there. That made it 2 wins in a row after winning last week's event. Fair play to Justin Rose for setting up the mini tour.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/gemma-dryburgh-makes-history-on-rose-ladies-series?fbclid=IwAR3qanXNsKmtGbstG7tPofI5UAWhh2lihKF2fbM7SsbQS3pcebCxp1XLRow

Paul Lawrie has also set up a schedule of events for Scottish pros, starting with 6 events this year bit hoping to build a good quality Tartan Tour in the next few years.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/golf/paul-lawrie-excited-offer-lifeline-scottish-pros-left-limbo-season-2902001

Have my first lesson today at 4pm. Hoping the weather stays dry. Also going out for another round to see if it was a fluke the last time. If i can shoot under 100 I’ll be happy. I also don’t use my driver off a tee very often I hit a 5 iron as I can control irons, my thinking is I’d rather be 180 yards in the middle than 240 yards into the trees

A new day a new adventure!
This is us starting (in the middle of winter) our year long trip round New Zealand. We hope we have sorted out all the initial teething difficulties with the motorhome.
Leisurely sightseeing, cycling, golf and hokey pokey ice cream are our aims.
There are nearly 400 courses in New Zealand so we won’t get round them all in a year.
We didn’t go far the first day, stopping by the beach at Muriwai. Very blustery conditions but I played well and finished with 84. IMG_1594372994.073824.jpgIMG_1594372759.211986.jpgIMG_1594372669.247536.jpgIMG_1594372700.683513.jpg

On 09/07/2020 at 08:43, Diamond. Dave said:

I have just recently started playing golf. Having took to it somewhat late in life I'm decent enough for a beginner. I hit the ball pretty straight, good with irons and at putting but the main problem I'm having is my driving off the tee. I hit the ball quite flat and on tee shots I'm not getting the right mix of height and power. Usually my drives are too low. I've even started using my iron to tee off and my drives with a 3 wood are a bit better. Any tips would be appreciated! 

I’m in the same situation as you. I’ve been going to the driving range several times a week to gain confidence and a bit of consistency. I’m hitting the irons 125-150 yards straight most of the time but when it comes to the driver I’m like a coo with a gun.

Ive got a Hybrid which I feel really comfortable using and can drive it relatively well and further than the irons. I’m going to use this instead of a driver and gain a bit of experience on courses.

Im the same, furthest i can hit is 200 yards with 19 degree hybrid, dont even attempt the driver anymore. Its more than enough to get round a course with a semi decent score. I usually score about 90 on a par 66.

If you break it down, longest hole you are likely to face will be about 550 yards, thats one shot of 200 (hybrid) two shot shots of 150 (7 iron) and a chip onto the green, leaves you a par putt.

All sounds so easy :) but dont let distance hold you back from just getting out on the course. Even go out alone first few times, that way even if you are hacking it round you can still keep up with pace of play as most other groups will be 3 or 4 folk.

I played alone for 4 months until i felt competent to get round the course without embarrassing myself.

I had my first lesson this afternoon and by far driver was my worst club in the bag. My instructor literally solved it in about 5 minutes.

He explained it very very simply, basically with an iron you want to hit down into the ball with a central stance but the weight on my front foot. With a driver you want to take the ball from your front foot in stance and lean weight on to your back foot and hit upwards on contact.

This solved my issue straight away I’m not a massive hitter but it was straight 8/10 times.

Much better today in the monthly medal, nett 70. Still had four 7s on the card so it could have been much better, 2 of those were down to being 3 off the tee after loose tee shots.

Well played. These days when you play well but feel it could be better are frustrating but good golf in any case.

Well played. These days when you play well but feel it could be better are frustrating but good golf in any case.

Aye, glad to finish with a -1 score, with the added bonus of a 2 which should get me some sweep money.

Very disappointed to run up a 7 on the first from the middle of the fairway with my tee shot, but on the flip side delighted to play the tough stretch of 12-15 in one over par.

Yesterday’s game at South Head was trumped today by Tapora’s link style course. I had a 6 over par 78 although we were only counting two putts because or the “agricultural” nature of the greens.

The round was $10 each, money in the honesty box, and the ONLY other person we saw was a green keeper (local farmer) for about half-an-hour. Although three llamas watched our tee shots on the 6th with great interest. IMG_1594496101.413145.thumb.jpg.41af9e14e6d1441e7cd09df680e2d528.jpgIMG_1594496118.150515.thumb.jpg.f36982bde0fe8b9eddfa29bbe790dd99.jpg

IMG_1594496274.680424.thumb.jpg.e64eb6ac71793c95974e88531fd5b09f.jpg

Heading to the driving range with a few pals today.

They are in a similar position to me last year, not played in many years but want to get back into it.

All in our late thirties and playing football not an option at the moment and when we can, hurts a lot more the next day and we get injured more often! Golf seems like the thing to do  instead.

One said he only wanted to hit balls at the driving range with irons and driver he bought second hand. .

After his first trip to the range he went and bought a putter , balls and a bag and we play our first round tomorrow.

Should be a lot of fun.