Golfers Thread

Gaz

I'm playing both crail courses early September. What should I expect?

The Balcomie is the original, and typical of an 18 hole links course crammed into a small area. Considerably shorter than the Craighead and with some quirky, but excellent golf holes.

Not played down that way for a long time now, but the Craighead at that time looked like a windswept soul destroying journey of tedium with a fuckload of 400+ yard Par 4s and knee high rough 5 yards off the fairway.

The Balcomie's probably the only course where i've carried the green on a 190 yard Par 3 with a Wedge and had to hit the nuts out of a 4 iron to reach the front edge of a 165 yarder in the same round :lol:

it'll be as windy as f**k in all likelihood but a thoroughly enjoyable place. Cracking clubhouse with an excellent view as well.

On topic, I've got the golf show vouchers which includes golf at Westerwood. Is it really as shite and wet as all the online reviews.

Westerwood was certainly wet when I played it a few years ago and can only imagine that it won't be much better this year. I wouldn't say that it is shite and in fact I felt it was an ok course to play.

On topic, I've got the golf show vouchers which includes golf at Westerwood. Is it really as shite and wet as all the online reviews.

I used my voucher weeks ago and the course was fine. I'd imagine after the last few days weather that may have changed though.

1344031770[/url]' post='6493305']

The Balcomie is the original, and typical of an 18 hole links course crammed into a small area. Considerably shorter than the Craighead and with some quirky, but excellent golf holes.

Not played down that way for a long time now, but the Craighead at that time looked like a windswept soul destroying journey of tedium with a fuckload of 400+ yard Par 4s and knee high rough 5 yards off the fairway.

The Balcomie's probably the only course where i've carried the green on a 190 yard Par 3 with a Wedge and had to hit the nuts out of a 4 iron to reach the front edge of a 165 yarder in the same round :lol:

it'll be as windy as f**k in all likelihood but a thoroughly enjoyable place. Cracking clubhouse with an excellent view as well.

Sounds like I better stock up on balls.

Guest honestrae95

Played the Carrick today and shot an 83, and thats with a double bogey start and finish! I'm off 10 so a nett 73 is quite pleasing. Its in pritty good condition and the views were totally stunning despite the showers. Got soaked but really enjoyed it despite the weather!

Last month i played Spey Valley up in Aviemore. It was very long, the 5th is 650 yards long off the back tees! Think its the longest in Scotland. Played well but scored poorly. Think i shot an 87 which is 15 over par. I shanked a couple of wedges which, is unlike me but my long irons were unusually good. Still, i thoroughly enjoyed it!

Both recomended!

Just read this thread in its entirety- some good stuff. Particularly encouraging was seeing Gaz improve with every post!

I originally posted this in General Nonsense before I knew this thread existed. Perhaps some people can help?

Always wanted to learn and now find myself in a position where I can commit time and effort into it. I reckon I can commit to 4 rounds of golf per week.

Over the past 10 years I have played about 3 rounds a year and I'm absolutely shite at it. Normally, this kind of thing would put me off but the desire to become decent has never left me.

So, I'm looking to start again and I'm looking for advice from fellow golf saddos on here.

Q1

Are there any books / DVDs / guides which anyone swears by for learning a grip and swing?

Q2

I don't mind the idea of getting lessons, but I've spoken to a few instructors locally (Lanarkshire) and they seem more like gym membership salesmen; trying to get you to sign up for £100s of tuition. Is it possible (for the first while) to avoid professional instruction?

Q3

My main goal is to have a handicap of 18 within 18 months. Doable?

Q4

I have a shitey set of clubs. What would you recommend for a beginner?

Q5

Any other advice / stories about your 'journey' from being a beginner to where you are now?

From reading the thread, the only thing I have noticed a lack of is reference to online materials. For example, what grip do people use? How did they build this, and their swing?

I could watch a thousand youtube clips and be none the wiser. but images seem to work better in my tiny mind.

Thanks for any replies...

Because of Nutz i've read this in its entirety as well.

Do most of you play yourself? I'm utterly bollocks but it doesn't help that I go out with mates and take wild swings at it without really trying or puting much thought into it. If I went out myself and thought about the game more would I notice a big difference.

Also where is best to practice pitching and putting? These are two massive weaknesses for me but don't feel you get a real effect practising chipping at the range?

Treated myself to a new set of John Letters clubs last Tuesday and the difference they have made to my game is amazing especially since my last set were 20 years old. The hybrids at 3 and 4 are so easy to hit and I'm using the 3 off the tee a lot.

Played in two competitions this weekend and won one and came second in the other so overall a great weekend of golf.

Slightly off topic but I semi regularly make deliveries to Mr Letters who is well into his 90s now. What a great guy though. His house is decorated with pictures of him and the best golfers of his generation and even movie stars who he made clubs for. Unfortunately he was broken into and a lot of his most treasured possessions were stolen. Bunch of wankers :angry:

Edited by Jambo Stu

Jambo Stu,

In the past, when I've generally had the notion of swinging a golf club about, I've always made sure I booked a round as late in the day as possible to avoid the embarrassment of how shite I am.

I must say that I find it really intimidating at the driving range being beside someone who can hit a ball properly.

Whilst they have probably thought; "well that guy's a bit shit at golf" and then forgotten about me completely to focus on their game, I stand there shaking as I address the ball just hoping that it doesn't hit the range roof and avoid the 'good guys' thinking of me as a bit of a w****r.

Anyhoo, I am looking to start again and build a swing slowly, starting with grip (my hands). Perhaps fellow golfers can help me out here. What grip do you use?

Because of Nutz i've read this in its entirety as well.

Do most of you play yourself? I'm utterly bollocks but it doesn't help that I go out with mates and take wild swings at it without really trying or puting much thought into it. If I went out myself and thought about the game more would I notice a big difference.

Also where is best to practice pitching and putting? These are two massive weaknesses for me but don't feel you get a real effect practising chipping at the range?

Slightly off topic but I semi regularly make deliveries to Mr Letters who is well into his 90s now. What a great guy though. His house is decorated with pictures of him and the best golfers of his generation and even movie stars who he made clubs for. Unfortunately he was broken into and a lot of his most treasured possessions were stolen. Bunch of wankers :angry:

I'm still playing but I'm wildly inconsistent. My best ever round is 99 at Tulliallan and I haven't went below 101 at my own course (Falkirk).

I found a deal on Groupon a few weeks ago for three hour-long lessons at Alloa for £29 so I've had two of those already. On the first lesson, the pro told me he'd be changing my grip, stance, swing and setup. Since then it feels like I'm just learning to play again. My handicap is 27. I've been shooting scores higher than 110 since my lessons but they're coming down.

I generally find that during a round I can play 14 or 15 holes well, with a couple of pars and a few bogies. But it's the three or four holes that I'll shoot an 8 or 9 (or higher) that take my scores high.

For practicing chipping, there is a pitch and putt course in Falkirk at Callendar Park. I take my pitching wedge and nine-iron over there some nights and just practice as much as I can.

I realise I won't get better without practice but I don't really like it. I'd much rather get out and play a round. I'm a good putter as I used to work at Prudential in Stirling and they had a putting green - every lunch for two years I played two rounds of putting.

Putting and course management will save you shots more than anything,

On the back of what you've said Gaz, I think it might be a good idea to get myself some starter lessons first. I'd hate to work hard on my own and get better only for a tutor to tell me to change everything a few years down the line.

Great shout re: Groupon deals. Will check it out now.

Got my eye on some Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons on ebay. I've always fancied them (based on looks only). Anyone own these?

On the back of what you've said Gaz, I think it might be a good idea to get myself some starter lessons first. I'd hate to work hard on my own and get better only for a tutor to tell me to change everything a few years down the line.

Great shout re: Groupon deals. Will check it out now.

Got my eye on some Taylormade Burner 2.0 irons on ebay. I've always fancied them (based on looks only). Anyone own these?

Well I went from 150-odd to shooting in the low 100s using my own inimitable style. My putting and short game made up for it a bit. It now definitely feels that I'm starting again :lol:

Keep an eye on Gumtree as well - I got my Callaway Big Berthas for a good price.

Stupid question number 11 of 1000:

Is it possible for the first while to be satisfied with just doing a half to three-quarters swing? When I used to play, I was reasonably accurate by doing this but could not progress to a full swing.

I know I can work on this over time but am I better starting to look at this now?

Just looked online for a few golf books which had some good reviews. Was going to download one and then buy another one to be sent to me.

Debit card in hand, I suddenly wondered whether my local library had them in stock. Looked up their online library and BOOM there they were.

Went down, registered in 1 minute and headed home 5 minutes later with books in hand with 6 weeks to get through them before having to return or renew (which I can do online or over the phone).

I felt a bit ashamed that I didn't think of this before- I'm too quick to spend money on books from Waterstones / Amazon et al, when I have all the free books I ever need just up the road from me.

Starting to read a book by 'Nick Bradley' called 'The 7 Laws of the Golf Swing'.

Is it possible for the first while to be satisfied with just doing a half to three-quarters swing? When I used to play, I was reasonably accurate by doing this but could not progress to a full swing.

I know I can work on this over time but am I better starting to look at this now?

Yes, quite comfortably. I struggle to get a full swing because I have a lower back problem, so I've only ever had a three-quarters swing. A lot of the low handicappers at my club, especially the older guys, have a three-quarter swing as well.

I still don't use a full swing, but hit the ball miles. It's probably slightly more than a 3/4 swing, but I still don't wrap it right round. That way madness lies for me.

I've always hit Irons with a less than full swing, and when i used to play regularly could still hit them a hell of a long way. Any time i tried to get that little bit extra out of an iron with a full/excessive swing almost always resulted in a rather destructive high and wide pull. The only club I swing full is probably the driver.

In terms of practice, when i started playing many moons ago I was lucky enough that my parents had quite a big garden so i could practice all kinds of wedge shots from 40 yards in. However if you can find a space big enough, one of my favourite drills was to push an open, upturned golf umbrella into the ground and randomly scatter practice balls all over the place, ranging up to 30-40 yards and try to land as many as possibly in the umbrella. The short game is the most fun part to practice and I worked a lot on it as a youngster. Between this, time on the putting green, and a few lessons/visits to the range, you should see an improvement.

Anyway, all this talk of golf has convinced me to get back into it properly next year. My ankle's pretty fucked so football is now out of the question, and I'd quite like to at least get back into single figures again at some point.